One month in and wondering about my future here

Algernon

I started my job as a package handler just over a month ago as a "summer seasonal" hire. When I was applying for the job I was only told at the very end of the interview that it was seasonal. It seemed kind of weird the way it was mentioned so late and casually but I figured it was still worth taking the job anyways. At the orientation however, the HR guy said in plain language that if I didn't miss work or show up late too many times I'd be hired permanently. I mean those were pretty much his exact words. Since then everyone from my supervisor to the HR guy has told me terms that I'd be hired on if I was a good worker.

So I start the job and it pretty pushes me to my physical limits & beyond from day one but I press onward with it. It was pretty clear that I was loading too slowly but I would get help most days even beyond the first week. Probably just in past the three days I've been able to actually keep up without any help. One day a week or two ago I worked a long shift at my other job and was totally drained to the point where I actually passed out when I went to sit down during break, although I don't think anyone noticed because I was just sitting in the trailer and woke up to the sound of the buzzer. The next day a senior supervisor (? don't know exactly what his title is, it's not the guy in charge of the building) came to teach/observe me but from what he told me and what I saw on the sheet he had me sign I did good.

Anyways, 2 days ago my regular supervisor did an assessment which went pretty well as far I could tell, he wrote that I need to use my power zone more but that was it. I've been there over 30 days now which seems to be the "trial period". Yesterday I talked to the building supervisor about taking the sort test and he seemed pretty keen on having me pass it and work the sort. The three other people that started around the same time as me either quit or were fired at this point.

The main reason I joined UPS was to become a driver. I'm only 20 right now but I turn 21 in November. Again, HR told me I'd probably be able to start as a driver when I turn 21. They say quite a few drivers at the building I'm working at are retiring and to be quite honest, very few people working inside seem like they're after a driver job. They even had part time driver positions listed on monster.com.

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble but I'm looking to hear some thoughts on where I'm at from some people who've been through everything.

If you're never late and don't call out, you'll be fine. They may have you work other positions. Inquiring about the sort may have saved you. If they don't have 45 minute trailers they'll find someone who will.

That being said, from what you've told us I think you're gonna be fine. Try at the very least to do what your coworkers are doing. Get your safety training done if you haven't yet.

Your seniority is coming up in what, October? If they disqualify you for some reason, ask to be flagged as rehire, as you love the job and wish to continue in some capacity at some point. At least then you'll have a 2 week gap after DQ but you can run driver helper, and that might be what makes them decide to keep you.

They hire people in summer and never work them, so they can stretch out that six months after 10.20/hr, while paying seasonal 15 or 18.or sometimes more in December.

Work as directed, don't hurt yourself, don't get disciplined, and you'll be fjne.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Keep pushing forward.
If your supervisors are happy, you will be fine.
The big test will be if you are kept in September since you were a "seasonal hire" to help cover vacations.
If you are well liked and respected by your sup, they can choose to keep you active.
It all depends on your buildings hiring practices and need for quality part timers.
Good Luck

oldngray

nowhere special
th.jpg

Algernon

If you're never late and don't call out, you'll be fine. They may have you work other positions. Inquiring about the sort may have saved you. If they don't have 45 minute trailers they'll find someone who will.

That being said, from what you've told us I think you're gonna be fine. Try at the very least to do what your coworkers are doing. Get your safety training done if you haven't yet.

Your seniority is coming up in what, October? If they disqualify you for some reason, ask to be flagged as rehire, as you love the job and wish to continue in some capacity at some point. At least then you'll have a 2 week gap after DQ but you can run driver helper, and that might be what makes them decide to keep you.

They hire people in summer and never work them, so they can stretch out that six months after 10.20/hr, while paying seasonal 15 or 18.or sometimes more in December.

Work as directed, don't hurt yourself, don't get disciplined, and you'll be fjne.

To be honest, no one does a trailer in 45 minutes around here. Everyone keeps up with the flow, but they're not breaking 450pkgs/hr. I've seen the sheets for my area and I'm actually probably doing more than most considering they keep me around last every day finishing up the big trailer and cleaning up a couple bags here and there. Also, I've worked every day since being hired no questions asked. I was told to call in when I got hired but by the 3rd day it was just show up at the posted time. Which I did, by the way, without getting paid for the first 15 minutes until recently when I asked about it and had my start time moved back in the computer.

You sound like you're good. Just keep it up for 50 more days or whatever, slowly improve but consistently. The better worker you are, the better numbers your supervisors get to keep numbers, and the more time they'll spend on the bad workers getting their numbers up because you're good on your own.

Really it's a place where, if you're doing fine, you're largely left alone. Inquiring about your future with the company may help, but word it right.. not "when am I finally getting a raise or promotion", but rather "I'd like to expand my skill sets, what is available for me?" or some such.

Unfortunately your gusto and drive and dedication won't mean anything to them until they realize wow we really need this guy, he keeps this area locked down, he's always getting better and is already great. I wouldn't ask an immediate supervisor about your options and what you can do to help them and the company and they'll eat it right up.

Just like with women, don't be too "available". But on the other hand, if you have any days off, you can ask your manager or call during later shifts and see if they need help.

It's really hard to offer straight advice without knowing your building or structure. If you're a great worker in a small center and people around you suck, they'll take notice.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I started my job as a package handler just over a month ago as a "summer seasonal" hire. When I was applying for the job I was only told at the very end of the interview that it was seasonal. It seemed kind of weird the way it was mentioned so late and casually but I figured it was still worth taking the job anyways. At the orientation however, the HR guy said in plain language that if I didn't miss work or show up late too many times I'd be hired permanently. I mean those were pretty much his exact words. Since then everyone from my supervisor to the HR guy has told me terms that I'd be hired on if I was a good worker.

So I start the job and it pretty pushes me to my physical limits & beyond from day one but I press onward with it. It was pretty clear that I was loading too slowly but I would get help most days even beyond the first week. Probably just in past the three days I've been able to actually keep up without any help. One day a week or two ago I worked a long shift at my other job and was totally drained to the point where I actually passed out when I went to sit down during break, although I don't think anyone noticed because I was just sitting in the trailer and woke up to the sound of the buzzer. The next day a senior supervisor (? don't know exactly what his title is, it's not the guy in charge of the building) came to teach/observe me but from what he told me and what I saw on the sheet he had me sign I did good.

Anyways, 2 days ago my regular supervisor did an assessment which went pretty well as far I could tell, he wrote that I need to use my power zone more but that was it. I've been there over 30 days now which seems to be the "trial period". Yesterday I talked to the building supervisor about taking the sort test and he seemed pretty keen on having me pass it and work the sort. The three other people that started around the same time as me either quit or were fired at this point.

The main reason I joined UPS was to become a driver. I'm only 20 right now but I turn 21 in November. Again, HR told me I'd probably be able to start as a driver when I turn 21. They say quite a few drivers at the building I'm working at are retiring and to be quite honest, very few people working inside seem like they're after a driver job. They even had part time driver positions listed on monster.com.

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble but I'm looking to hear some thoughts on where I'm at from some people who've been through everything.
Is it hot in those trailers? I'm by the pool wondering.

The worst days are working half of unload, then working the other half loading because the sort couldn't keep up. Spend your time cleaning up all the stuff you unloaded and the other 50% you never saw, walking up to nearly empty cars with people saying work is too hard with stacks around them.

Algernon

Yeah I get the feeling my building works a bit differently than some. It's a bit short-staffed but it's a fairly small building. Like there's only one trainer and when I started they actually got someone from a different building to come in and train me because there was someone else also starting on the same day as me. They're still hiring new people right now to replace those that left as summer hires already.

A good guy

Working hard and not expressing your opinions and concerns gets you used and abused or constantly prompted to go into managment.

I've been working in my building for over a decade and none of the sups give me extra work unless its necessary or I tell them.
Just
-do your job to the extent on which they trained you
-know you can express your opinions on whether or not you think they are using you unfairly (cutting less senior people but keeping you, sending you to other areas and cutting people)
-join the union even if most the sups (right now) are cool
-you can use seniority as a tool to avoid extra work if you want

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Working hard and not expressing your opinions and concerns gets you used and abused or constantly prompted to go into managment.

I've been working in my building for over a decade and none of the sups give me extra work unless its necessary or I tell them.
Just
-do your job to the extent on which they trained you
-know you can express your opinions on whether or not you think they are using you unfairly (cutting less senior people but keeping you, sending you to other areas and cutting people)
-join the union even if most the sups (right now) are cool
-you can use seniority as a tool to avoid extra work if you want

Expressing opinions

Lmao!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it seems like you are doing Ok and will be alright .

just don't get affected by hanging around the whiners and negative people in the breakroom or after work.

stay positive , hang with other positive people, and don't work too hard where you will hurt yourself.

learn the methods , ( 8 keys ) etc. and use them so you can last for the longhaul.

you should be OK. and good luck.

PT Car Washer

Ya. Sounds crazy but the twilight shift I work on isn't nearly as bad regarding managment :censored2:ery as our preload shift or the bigger building in the city I live in. Big reason why I never transfered to any other building or shift.
All depends on the manager. Some are really good and treats their people including their FT and PT sups decently. Some are horrendous and wonder why people leave in a few weeks or days. The only ones that stay have too many years in to just up and leave. Of course the people that stay only work the minimum to keep their jobs.

MendozaJ

If you have no other employment options, just work. It's four hours a day. You have the other 20 hours to yourself. Get a peak season under your belt. Go out as a driver helper, get a better idea of what is required of a driver. The next six months will give you a little more clarity on which direction you want to go in. Winter is coming.

When you make book, RTS (Refuse to Sign) those ridiculous observations.

Richard Cranium

Keep pressing onward.