Opinions on the same sex domestic partnership benifit package

HazMatMan

So, what sort of proof will be required? Will they have to show up at the center and hold hands for 5 minutes in front of the center manager?

I would say that if this is being offered to gay couples, then it should be offered to all couples who live together regardless of their orientation. Otherwise, I see this as discrimination. I see lawsuits coming.
I agree!!

wyobill

All's I know is when the guys start looking like the girls the world is coming to a end.

Why does everone want to go to heaven but no one wants to die?:wink2:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I received a letter from UPS saying that same sex partners of employees will be covered under the UPS health package. I dont have a problem with this ..... but how about hetrosexual life partners ? are they covered or do you and your GF/BF have to be gay to qualify ? anybody have any opinions on this ?

Did anyone else get this letter ? did they send it to me because they think I might be gay ? hmmmmm

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did anyone else get this letter ? did they send it to me because they think I might be gay ? hmmmmm

I was wondering that too. I didn't get the letter and I don't know anybody that did. Although I do know a couple of people who would like to get it.:wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So if i'm gay and have a partner, the partner gets benefits? But if I am straight and have a partner, we have to get married in order for my partner to get benefits?? I'm confused.
Thats because its legal for a straight couple to get married, but not a gay couple. Gay people are already getting screwed over by not being elegible for their partners Social Security and retirement benefits; plus, gay couples have lower-than-average health care costs due to not having children (unless they adopt). Also, Since gay couples do not typically have children, they do not place the same burden upon the local school system or public assistance as straight people do. In other words...the more gay people you work an live with, the cheaper your insurance and taxes wil be. I'm not gay, and gay men kind of give me the willies, but if they do the same work and pay the same taxes they ought to get the same benefits.

stringerman85

Thats because its legal for a straight couple to get married, but not a gay couple. Gay people are already getting screwed over by not being elegible for their partners Social Security and retirement benefits; plus, gay couples have lower-than-average health care costs due to not having children (unless they adopt). Also, Since gay couples do not typically have children, they do not place the same burden upon the local school system or public assistance as straight people do. In other words...the more gay people you work an live with, the cheaper your insurance and taxes wil be. I'm not gay, and gay men kind of give me the willies, but if they do the same work and pay the same taxes they ought to get the same benefits.

Nah, UPS rushed this way too quickly....Marriage for gay/lesbian people should have been allowed before this issue, This insurance thing should have came second....If you are married, It's one thing, But I agree...Discrimination

959Nanook

I'm an Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) ally that was actively involved in the April 3, 2007 Statewide Advisory Vote in Alaska which asked Alaskan registered voters "Shall the legislature adopt a proposed amendment to the state constitution to be considered by the voters at the 2008 general election that would prohibit the state, or a municipality or other subdivision of the state, from providing employment benefits to same-sex partners of public employees and to same-sex partners of public employee retirees?" so you can probably imagine that I have an opinion on the matter.

Naturally, as an ally, I have LGBT friends and one thing has been apparent since I started working at UPS. The LGBT community is aware and appreciative that UPS offers same sex domestic partnership benefits. It is not uncommon to hear "X works at UPS doesn't he? That is so great that UPS offers benefits for his partner and their family" from my LGBT friends.

Simply put, it is an excellent business strategy on the part of UPS. The goodwill that is fostered by UPS has a return. As a corporate sponsor for the 2008 National Gay Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (which represents 1.4 million businesses) Conference, the participants know that UPS isn't just another hollow corporate sponsor looking for business but that UPS is a leader on LGBT policies in the business community. Couple that with the partnership between NGLCC and UPS that was announced on March 11 of this year (I heard about it on the radio). If nothing else, this bodes well for UPS as far as competing for the shipping business of 1.4 million businesses.

As a Teamster, I'm proud to work for a corporation that is providing benefits for my fellow Teamsters beyond those required by the law or the contract. I understand the reservations of some. I agree that UPS is ahead of the trend of this issue and I commend them for it. I understand that others may choose not to commend UPS for being ahead of the trend; however, I would offer that this is a good business strategy even if you do not agree with the concept. I would like to think that UPS is a great progressive company but I think that they arrived at this point due to business considerations.

filthpig

Thank God my Irish Catholic grandfather is dead,he would not understand this world ,guys married to guys,priest fondling children ,women married to women, no Berlin wall,planes crashing into buildings and liberals trying to understand their cause,Nancy Pelosi,woman possibly in white house,Japs playing baseball in America,and the French looking down at us . He would never understand!!!!
Preach!!!

dillweed

tooner hit it right when she mentioned norms. Social norms are how the majority of people feel and how they behave. These norms are constanly changing - just look at history. It's a very slow change, taking many generations.

Not so long ago homosexuality was considered a mental disorder. It has since been removed from the DSM3R (? book of mental disorders) and many folks are accepting it or coming out. It is slowy becoming acceptable but not yet the norm.

Many people still feel that nature inteneded for man and woman to join and reproduce. I feel that way and always will. However, the younger generation doesn't hesitate to accept homosexuality and think nothing of it.

I work with gays, have friends in that group and don't look down on them one bit. It's their choice and doesn't have any impact on how I feel about them. As a baby boomer I've come a long way from how I was raised to feel about it.

In the future, as younger generations come into power, gay marriage will probably be recognized. At that point insurance coverage will be a no-brainer. But until that time comes insuring an unmarried partner is going to cause a ruckus. I agree with stringerman that marriage needs to come first.

dillweed

If homosexual relationships become the norm what will heterosexual relationships become? Abnormal? Just don't know. Oh dear, I'm getting old and things are changing so fast.....:confused:

trickpony1

As a Teamster, I'm proud to work for a corporation that is providing benefits for my fellow Teamsters beyond those required by the law or the contract. I understand the reservations of some. I agree that UPS is ahead of the trend of this issue and I commend them for it. I understand that others may choose not to commend UPS for being ahead of the trend; however, I would offer that this is a good business strategy even if you do not agree with the concept. I would like to think that UPS is a great progressive company but I think that they arrived at this point due to business considerations.

Funny you should say this.

Knowingly supporting a lifestyle that is known to be "risky" for business considerations and to promote their (the companys) own agenda? Imagine that!!

How about "our" company supporting another lifestyle that is forced upon people not of their choosing or as a result of working for ".... a great progressive company?

How about adhering to the Americans with Disabilities Act and creating jobs for the worn, broken, disabled perople who, through no fault of their own, are thrown to the curb when they can't run a certain SPORH?

How about adhering to the mandates of the Office of Federal Contracts Compilance Programs (OFCCP) which promotes the hiring, retaining and promotion of handicapped individuals?

I guess it is easier, more fun, more profitable and more fashionable for "our" company to "ally" with an aberrant lifestyle (LGBT) than to exert themselves and deal with the broken, disabled, non-profitable disabled population.

upsgrunt

I'm an Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) ally that was actively involved in the April 3, 2007 Statewide Advisory Vote in Alaska which asked Alaskan registered voters "Shall the legislature adopt a proposed amendment to the state constitution to be considered by the voters at the 2008 general election that would prohibit the state, or a municipality or other subdivision of the state, from providing employment benefits to same-sex partners of public employees and to same-sex partners of public employee retirees?" so you can probably imagine that I have an opinion on the matter.

Naturally, as an ally, I have LGBT friends and one thing has been apparent since I started working at UPS. The LGBT community is aware and appreciative that UPS offers same sex domestic partnership benefits. It is not uncommon to hear "X works at UPS doesn't he? That is so great that UPS offers benefits for his partner and their family" from my LGBT friends.

Simply put, it is an excellent business strategy on the part of UPS. The goodwill that is fostered by UPS has a return. As a corporate sponsor for the 2008 National Gay Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (which represents 1.4 million businesses) Conference, the participants know that UPS isn't just another hollow corporate sponsor looking for business but that UPS is a leader on LGBT policies in the business community. Couple that with the partnership between NGLCC and UPS that was announced on March 11 of this year (I heard about it on the radio). If nothing else, this bodes well for UPS as far as competing for the shipping business of 1.4 million businesses.

Do you really think UPS is doing this out of "the goodness of their heart", and for goodwill purposes or because they are worried about the potential lawsuits? If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the latter!

sendagain

There is a substantial number of lesbians working at UPS, and a good number of them have worked their way up into management slots. I'm sure this issue has been brought up quite a few times at meetings where it could be discussed. Gays also seem to find ways to have children even though they don't have heterosexual sex. Some of us still believe there is a God in heaven who has made it abundantly clear that this lifestyle was not placed here by him. Managers at UPS hate it when people buck the system. I'm afraid they have little worry of bucking the system that is higher than them.

HazMatMan

What if they live in a state where it is legal for same sex to get married?? Would they have to get married to receive benefits?? Or would they be entitled to benefits without getting married?? Which would bring up the word discrimination again. If they are in a state where it is legal then they should have to be married to receive benefits just like a straight couple would have to get married. I know many gay people both men and women and none of them give me the willies..