order of on and off car routine?

ibleedbrown

can anyone tell me the correct order for the on and off car routine? can you tell me the order they want you to do your on and off car routine? approach vehicle looking for leaks/hazards underneath vehicle, 3 points of contact, grab steering wheel sit down seat belt fob brake, clutch, start button etc etc? i'm going to integrad on monday and would like to be familiar with the routine beforehand. thanks in advance.

iruhnman630

I would probably fail that quiz.

If nothing else get in the habit of not hitting the start button until your belt is buckled.

UPSER110

can anyone tell me the correct order for the on and off car routine? can you tell me the order they want you to do your on and off car routine? approach vehicle looking for leaks/hazards underneath vehicle, 3 points of contact, grab steering wheel sit down seat belt fob brake, clutch, start button etc etc? i'm going to integrad on monday and would like to be familiar with the routine beforehand. thanks in advance.

dont worry too much about that, know your 10pt commentary and 5 seeing habits WORD FOR WORD, and be prepared to explain in your own words the 10 pt commentary. you can test out of this early and it will help a ton.

ibleedbrown

did you go to integrad recently? i heard they grade you on the routines? i know the 5 & 10 by heart are you saying they wont accept the 10 point commentary word for word that i have to explain it differently than it is on the sheet, in my own words? i'm currently trying to memorize the pre-trip, almost got that down.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
As far as smooth car routine it may vary from area to area but essentially it goes push fob when safe to enter car, put diad in left hand, right hand to handrail, step up stairs with 3 points of contact putting diad in holder while moving past it hit starter button while moving past it once and put on seat belt and step on clutch and brake then push engine start button again. 123 count is clutch gear hand brake in that order. Check mirrors and camera,Turn off flashers, signal when pulling from curb...

When dismounting flashers on if not already, engage handbrake, put in lowest forward facing gear, kill engine with button, push button again to open bulkhead, select package, close bulkhead door, set package down grab diad, use handrail to exit while clearing ground below and both directions. Once out grab package in power zone...

I'm just typing this quickly and probably forgetting things so make sure you pay attention in training.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
According to all the people who think that the Customer Counter is a compliant office , a majority of my center's drivers never ring the bell , they go to the door and leave info notices .

UPSER110

did you go to integrad recently? i heard they grade you on the routines? i know the 5 & 10 by heart are you saying they wont accept the 10 point commentary word for word that i have to explain it differently than it is on the sheet, in my own words? i'm currently trying to memorize the pre-trip, almost got that down.

I was there in July of 2011. There was no grading just on routines it is part of the "delivery" test it will be straight forward so dont stress too much about it. Make sure you always look around and under the car as you approach. Yes you should know 5 seeing habits word for word. Then the 10pt you will need to explain in your own words. Pretrip will be easy, all the stuff is easy on the computer assuming you have used a DIAD helping, and the driving part isn't bad just don't tense up and keep moving along if you forget to point out a driveway or other hazard.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
According to all the people who think that the Customer Counter is a compliant office , a majority of my center's drivers never ring the bell , they go to the door and leave info notices .

I believe that is the directly related to guys getting questioned about numbers and not some lazy driver. Driver thinks he or she saves time but tossing package 5 feet from door and turn around and run back to truck...I've seen this happen. Does anyone ever see the words "knock or ring the bell" in the address label on some of the labels on flower boxes or from red envelope just to name a couple. I think not ringing is a huge problem. Why can't we just get a decent allowance to be able to select a package, WALK to the door, ring the bell and walk back...you better hope you don't have to go to two other houses to try to get a signature because you will be really over then....its pretty pathetic.

opie

Actually when I do air deliveries. There's been a few times where it says on the package or a note on the door, "do not ring or knock". Some people don't want to be bothered. Especially if its 9am on a Saturday lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
thanks a lot! great info, where does beeping and announcing ups go in there?

They want you to honk upon arriving in front of the stop. In my training I was told to honk after killing the engine. They'll tell you when they want you to do it if they have a requirement.

In the real world the only time I honk at a stop:
1) If I'm on a street where I have to park behind parked cars or double park or a parking lot where I want to make my presence known so my truck doesn't get backed into.
2) If I'm pulling up to a house I haven't been to that looks like it might have dogs
3) When I want to alert a business I've arrived as some of them like to come out to meet you, or at residences if you have several packages or a heavy package in hopes the consignee can help you out. Believe it or not this sometimes works and people are often happy to help you with their packages if they see you could use the help.
4) Before (and during?) backing.

As for announcing verbally I was only trained to verbally announce UPS when you see signs of a dog (and jingle your keys), or if there isn't a doorbell.

The smooth car routine, when to do what at a stop, etc will primarily be trained by your on car sup in the first few days. They'll touch on it during driver school too.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I mentioned the no-ring bell issue to a driver once , his reply was it would be nice if these same people had a working bell .

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'll ring a doorbell if they have one that appears functional, however I virtually never knock because banging my knuckles on a hard door all day can't be good for you. If they don't have a doorbell that appears to work I yell UPS.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I believe that is the directly related to guys getting questioned about numbers and not some lazy driver. Driver thinks he or she saves time but tossing package 5 feet from door and turn around and run back to truck...I've seen this happen. Does anyone ever see the words "knock or ring the bell" in the address label on some of the labels on flower boxes or from red envelope just to name a couple. I think not ringing is a huge problem. Why can't we just get a decent allowance to be able to select a package, WALK to the door, ring the bell and walk back...you better hope you don't have to go to two other houses to try to get a signature because you will be really over then....its pretty pathetic.

From what I understand, the only "number" I have to worry about is my SPORH: Stops Per On Road Hour. It is different for every route. It is this number that the 3-Day OJS seeks to improving by observing your methods, and of they can correct your methods to cause significant improvement in your SPORH (and by extension your other numbers), the OJS goes into your file; if you start performing badly based on your SPORH, then the company can begin you in the discipline tract. None of the other numbers really matter, but are an indication your SPORH is suffering. Now, how one's SPORH is calculated, I don't know, but that is the number, at least in my local, we must watch. Is that true in all locals, company-wide?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'll ring a doorbell if they have one that appears functional, however I virtually never knock because banging my knuckles on a hard door all day can't be good for you. If they don't have a doorbell that appears to work I yell UPS.

I use my DIAD to knock on the door. No joke. I also knock and ring the bell at every stop. I'm actually really obnoxious when it comes to my delivery routine. Honk the horn twice as well when I pull up, though most people can hear my radio so they know I'm in the area anyway :walkman:

Buck Fifty

If i'm on the car , I get off. If i'm off the car, I get on. I try to keep it simple