Orion delivery system

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
PS The 7.3 usually does far better in opacity tests vs it's second ahead generation VT365 relative.
Is that state or federal. I've never had a diesel tested. We don't even have emission testing for gas powered vehicles over a certain gvw, 8400lb(I think)

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Iforget what the actual magic number is for this state.We get a lot of vehicles sent here from Kalifornia because they can't pass there. We pretty much have to sniffer test everything because it exceeds 8400 GVW.[/QUOTE]

jaker

trolling
Iforget what the actual magic number is for this state.We get a lot of vehicles sent here from Kalifornia because they can't pass there. We pretty much have to sniffer test everything because it exceeds 8400 GVW.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah we kicking a lot of trucks out the state , but it is nice because we get new trucks

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Exactly BB and that's precisely why I reload my whole truck every morning. Im not playing that game searching all day like an idiot for packages and making the job way harder than it really needs to be. Besides the dol and dispatch and load being complete garbage every every single day.
yep...they may as well hand the loaders shovels and just aim at the shelves.....you'll hit right one eventually!

BrownChoice

I am a loader, as well as a utility driver. The best we can do is load by pal. Theres absolutley NO TIME to put into a different order. I load my trucks how i would want it loaded. I think the problem most loaders have is having everything fall off the shelves . That pisses me off so bad when i pull a route .
luckily according to my 3 drivers that does not happen hardly ever in their pack cars.
a hint for loaders:
ask suggestions on how each driver prefers things. The same street in resi's is often loaded with same PAL #'s, stop for stop those as best you can. And push shelves up so there are no gaps!!!!!!!
also, label placement is a biggie, no not the pal label. What i dont get is drivers who say i dont care just as long as its on the right shelf. Then complain everyday. Emotions can run high and loaders are doing 5 hours of work in 4 hours or LESS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I agree with you that the loaders are getting crushed. But at the same time you have to use some commonsense to ignore the pal label if say for example you have 20 boxes for a stop pal labeled to the 1000 section. Commonsense should tell you to do 1 of 3 things. 1. leave the bulk stop outside truck until end, 2. load on floor behind jumper seat, 3. load it on the back right or left floor. That's the thing they don't train the loaders right and second a lot of the loaders are just plain dumb and cant solve problems on the fly. Im not saying all loaders are like that but the biggest majority of them are. The loaders should realize that every day the driver walks into the truck and tells them the dol is all tore cause the idiot dispatchers have no idea what their doing. You cant teach commonsense and spontaneous decision making, not everyone is built that way. Exactly why I just reload my truck every day its the only way its going to get done correctly.

UPS is installing the Orion delivery system here. Any experience with it? One thing I have noticed about the system is it gives us visibility of time study information. The system shows the exact delivery time they expect for each stop. The company expects us to follow their plan and yet the plans as constructed don't incorporate break times. My plan shows me working straight through until lunch. And no break in the afternoon. They tell me to take my break but no time provision for it. The same is true of other orion route plans in our center. I don't believe the company can do this. It may actually be illegal. Any thoughts?

Orion is one step closer for corporate and the share holders to have more control over us and lower management. When my center first got Orion. We were suppose to be over 85% or be under the miles.

​So almost all the drivers in my center were beating the miles so my manager said that's good because Orion is a bad system. Then weeks later my manager gets a colorful email from VP of the company say in short your center is the worst in the nation in %.

So now we follow Orion stop for stop per unions orders because drivers were being disciplined over it.

Z

ZQXC

If they follow the same schedule as keyless and telematics, we will be the last center in the country to see Orion.

JL 0513

My center is in the middle of ORION implementation. My route is getting it very soon I was told. I'm not necessarily afraid of running ORION, but what I'm afraid of is the no win situation that drivers face. If we follow it as instructed, we will be over allowed most of the time. Even have mileage increases going against its purpose. If we use our brains too much, we get talked to for not meeting the metric.

So far, every guy in my center who has started ORION have nothing but bad things to say about it. Heard one guy say "it's making me money", after being asked "how's it going?"

This system doesn't make sense from a business perspective. The idea is to save miles? Even if it does, it is seemingly increasing labor hours. It costs UPS nearly $50/hr starting in the 9th hour each day not counting pension contributions, ect. That's a LOT more than whatever gas they might be saving.

As for miles being saved. I don't even know how that's happening. I keep hearing drivers say ORION has you pass stops just to come back to them later. And this is on side streets. Not just main roads where that is normal. Makes no sense.

RealPerson

My center is in the middle of ORION implementation. My route is getting it very soon I was told. I'm not necessarily afraid of running ORION, but what I'm afraid of is the no win situation that drivers face. If we follow it as instructed, we will be over allowed most of the time. Even have mileage increases going against its purpose. If we use our brains too much, we get talked to for not meeting the metric.

So far, every guy in my center who has started ORION have nothing but bad things to say about it. Heard one guy say "it's making me money", after being asked "how's it going?"

This system doesn't make sense from a business perspective. The idea is to save miles? Even if it does, it is seemingly increasing labor hours. It costs UPS nearly $50/hr starting in the 9th hour each day not counting pension contributions, ect. That's a LOT more than whatever gas they might be saving.

As for miles being saved. I don't even know how that's happening. I keep hearing drivers say ORION has you pass stops just to come back to them later. And this is on side streets. Not just main roads where that is normal. Makes no sense.

UPS says it is awesome
"
With regards to the bottom line, the software that was launched a while ago and is still in its deployment phase is a result of heavy investment by the company. ORION helps UPS drivers find the fastest, most fuel-efficient route to get every package to a customer’s door and saves millions of dollars in fuel.
The company saved 3 million gallons of fuel during its testing phase of the program from 2010-2012. For 2013, the expected savings is nearly 1.5 million gallons. Once the program is rolled out to every driver by 2017 it is going to save around $50 million by taking just one mile off each driver’s daily route."

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
UPS says its awesome imagine that. And if ups told you, you could jump off a bridge and live would you? Just saying and Santa Claus is real too lol.

BrownArmy

Can't wait till my center gets ORION...

Our DOL's are so screwed up, it's going to be Keystone Cops.

I mentioned this to an on-car I get along with, and he said he didn't know when we were getting the "O".

The big "O".

Can't wait for the big "O".

MethodsMan

ORION has me crushing packages in the morning in order to get off resi's from the 8000 shelf.

Crush people's crap, just to save a mile.

Kind of a joke trying to find granny's little QVC baggy at 9am when you're bricked out climbing over packages.

But, I'll be a yes man. I'll follow it to a T and laugh all the way to the bank.