Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

I already stated, I don't believe the company or the union want to do anything to kill the golden goose?
What would the purpose be to speculate what could done to do so?
The game for either side is try and exact as much of the spoils as they can for those sitting on their side of the table.

This a game hasn't been going well for my side of the table for more than a decade.
It was just a question. You don't have to give me your opinion. I just wondered what you thought.

Irishman Collins

Tradesmen jobs, jobs that require an apprenticeship or tradeschool, are a little different. And there will always be the exceptions to the rule.

Have you checked out the job market lately. A 1 minute search...

Concrete finisher $15-$25/hr
Heavy Equipment Operator $15-$28/hr

ConcreteFinisher
ARC Construction - Sibley, IA
$15 - $20 an hour
Must have experience with hand trowels, power trowels, raking concrete, wet screeding, running skid steers and setting curb forms....

concrete curb finisher SMITH & EDWARDS CONSTRUCTION CO INC - Spring Hill, FL 34610
$16 an hour
In concrete curbing & sidewalk:. Must be able to finish curb and sidewalk, form, set pins, broom....
Easily apply

ConcreteFinisher Northern Improvement Company - Fargo, ND - +1 location
$17.76 an hour
Min 12 months concrete finisher experience required; Smooth and finish surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads or curves using a...

ConcreteFinisher Goodmanson Construction - Roseville, MN
$13 - $25 an hour
A concrete finisher gets to enjoy the outdoors while getting exercise and operates a variety of tools and equipment and if a valid CDL holder, our dump trucks...

Heavy Equipment Operator - Street Sweepi... City of Mesquite 15 reviews - Mesquite, TX
$15.11 an hour
Responsible for supervision of Equipment Operators, Concrete Finishers and Maintenance Workers. Operate and maintain a variety of heavy, complex equipment...

ConcreteFinisher City of San Antonio 53 reviews - San Antonio, TX 78235
$12.52 an hour
Repairs old concrete structures using concrete bonding chemicals. Three (3) years of experience as a journeyman concrete finisher or completion of a recognized...

CraneOperator fairley construction - Hattiesburg, MS
$14 an hour
someone who has experience operating crane/pile driving & in construction willing to do various task health insurance provided Salary: $14.00 /hour Required

CRANEOPERATORS Manpower 4,506 reviews - Durant, IA - +2 locations
$12 - $13 an hour
CRANE OPERATORS NEEDED. OVERHEAD CRANE AND REMOTE CRANE OPERATORS. BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG SCREEN....

CraneOperator U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 208 reviews - Colfax, LA
$24.45 - $28.58 an hour
As a Crane Operator, you will be responsible for operating lattice. Operation of Crane. SCREENOUT - Ability to lead or supervise the work of a Crane Operator...
First, may I remind you that UPS has recorded record profits for the last few years. Currently they are experiencing less profits due to the poor decisions made during peak. Their profits will dramatically increase again as they make up for losses during peak. Second, the idea that we are overpaid is ludicrous. We are worth what our Union negotiates. If you think just because laborers, carpenters, electricians and construction workers make less, that somehow we should except less and feel lucky that we make a good living. You are crazy and should be in management. UPS is a multi billion dollar company that pays excessive salaries for upper management and corporate personnel. As the company continues to make record profits without any real competition. We should expect our Union and company to provide us with much better wages than companies who can't ever come close to UPS profits. Personally, I think we are underpaid. Look around you, do you not see all the management personnel doing virtually nothing and getting paid excessive salaries? We have safety managers getting paid over $100,000 for posting safety posters and passing out safety test? We are the backbone of the company. We are customer service, sales and the service providers for UPS. It is us driving antiquated equipment, getting bruised, cut, driving in dangerous conditions and putting our bodies on the line everyday. We deserve even better pay and benefits than we currently have and I for one will continue to fight for better wages and benefits regardless of what the sanitary worker next to me makes.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In your opinion what could the company and the union do if they wanted to kill this golden goose?

It was just a question. You don't have to give me your opinion. I just wondered what you thought.

It just seems to me like asking somebody how to commit suicide.
If it isn't something I am contemplating, then it is counterintuitive to spend time considering how to do it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
First, may I remind you that UPS has recorded record profits for the last few years. Currently they are experiencing less profits due to the poor decisions made during peak. Their profits will dramatically increase again as they make up for losses during peak. Second, the idea that we are overpaid is ludicrous. We are worth what our Union negotiates. If you think just because laborers, carpenters, electricians and construction workers make less, that somehow we should except less and feel lucky that we make a good living. You are crazy and should be in management. UPS is a multi billion dollar company that pays excessive salaries for upper management and corporate personnel. As the company continues to make record profits without any real competition. We should expect our Union and company to provide us with much better wages than companies who can't ever come close to UPS profits. Personally, I think we are underpaid. Look around you, do you not see all the management personnel doing virtually nothing and getting paid excessive salaries? We have safety managers getting paid over $100,000 for posting safety posters and passing out safety test? We are the backbone of the company. We are customer service, sales and the service providers for UPS. It is us driving antiquated equipment, getting bruised, cut, driving in dangerous conditions and putting our bodies on the line everyday. We deserve even better pay and benefits than we currently have and I for one will continue to fight for better wages and benefits regardless of what the sanitary worker next to me makes.

I consider myself a lucky one to have gotten in, especially being female. That being said, I agree most of us are worth every penny + some. I never feel guilty when I cash my check. I do feel bad for others who never got the opportunity, BUT, everyone had the same choice. I applied and went through all the part time crap.

For every 50 people who say they wish they had our job, a small percent will hang in during the on call phase, etc. The 100 degree days, the -30 days, would sort them out real quick. The 140 pd weight set, going to the 3rd floor, etc. The constant beatings over unrealistic numbers. The 11 and 12 hour days. The telematics watching their every move......Oh yes they would give their left arm, for 50 an hour, after 5pm, but they have never been through the first 8.

I do agree we get a good wage, but we earn every penny.

And for anyone who thinks UPS takes it easy on the girls, does not know what they are talking about, Never seen it, Never wanted it.

Irishman Collins

I consider myself a lucky one to have gotten in, especially being female. That being said, I agree most of us are worth every penny + some. I never feel guilty when I cash my check. I do feel bad for others who never got the opportunity, BUT, everyone had the same choice. I applied and went through all the part time crap.

For every 50 people who say they wish they had our job, a small percent will hang in during the on call phase, etc. The 100 degree days, the -30 days, would sort them out real quick. The 140 pd weight set, going to the 3rd floor, etc. The constant beatings over unrealistic numbers. The 11 and 12 hour days. The telematics watching their every move......Oh yes they would give their left arm, for 50 an hour, after 5pm, but they have never been through the first 8.

I do agree we get a good wage, but we earn every penny.

And for anyone who thinks UPS takes it easy on the girls, does not know what they are talking about, Never seen it, Never wanted it.
I think that it is admirable that women can do pkg car work. Although, my experience is that only about half of them can actually do the work of a man. In my building most of the women are guaranteed power steering vehicles and very few of them can lift a 70lb. package with ease. I do not advocate that they be paid less but I do wonder what UPS would do with a man that couldn't lift a 70lb. Pkg and couldn't drive a non power steering vehicle? Again, I am not being chauvinist but it should be fair across the board, don't you think?

We have five women in my building that are package car drivers. The are all as tough as the men. One is arguably the best pound for pound driver in this whole country. She does a 13 to 15 hour dispatch every day she works. She used to also ride her bike 35 miles round trip 9 months out of the year also. She was military and was once attacked by a pit bull got stitched up and finished her route that same day.

I hate guys the put women down.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Irishman Collins said:
First, may I remind you that UPS has recorded record profits for the last few years.

Tell that to Hoffa and Hall. We should have gotten a much better contract this time around due to these record profits.

Irishman Collins said:
Second, the idea that we are overpaid is ludicrous.

I never said that or even implied that.

Irishman Collins said:
We are worth what our Union negotiates.

Exactly. You watch our union "negotiate" the new hires right to a $25/hr cap.

Irishman Collins said:
If you think just because laborers, carpenters, electricians and construction workers make less, that somehow we should except less and feel lucky that we make a good living.

I didn't say that now, did I? I was responding to Bottom rung who said that they all make more than we do.

Irishman Collins said:
As the company continues to make record profits without any real competition. We should expect our Union and company to provide us with much better wages than companies who can't ever come close to UPS profits.

Yes we should. You have to remember that we are talking about Hoffa and Hall. What happened this past contract? What happened at 705? What is now happening at 710? Concessions, concessions, concessions.

Irishman Collins said:
I for one will continue to fight for better wages and benefits regardless of what the sanitary worker next to me makes.

Are you just going to "fight" for your wages? Or are you willing to fight for the "unhired" yet? I am. Never said I wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I am willing to strike over this exact issue to give the "unborn" a "vote" so to speak. Are you?

Because with Hoffa and Hall, it just may come to that. You will get what you want, but at what expense?

Irishman Collins

Tell that to Hoffa and Hall. We should have gotten a much better contract this time around due to these record profits.

I never said that or even implied that.

Exactly. You watch our union "negotiate" the new hires right to a $25/hr cap.

I didn't say that now, did I? I was responding to Bottom rung who said that they all make more than we do.

Yes we should. You have to remember that we are talking about Hoffa and Hall. What happened this past contract? What happened at 705? What is now happening at 710? Concessions, concessions, concessions.

Are you just going to "fight" for your wages? Or are you willing to fight for the "unhired" yet? I am. Never said I wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I am willing to strike over this exact issue to give the "unborn" a "vote" so to speak. Are you?

Because with Hoffa and Hall, it just may come to that. You will get what you want, but at what expense?
I absolutely will fight for the "unborn" wage scale. The problem is, that we are the minority when it comes to that.

Irishman Collins

We have five women in my building that are package car drivers. The are all as tough as the men. One is arguably the best pound for pound driver in this whole country. She does a 13 to 15 hour dispatch every day she works. She used to also ride her bike 35 miles round trip 9 months out of the year also. She was military and was once attacked by a pit bull got stitched up and finished her route that same day.

I hate guys the put women down.
R...E....A..D.....the post again..... I honestly think that hating is your only emotion. Geez, it's like talking to a 5 year old

R...E....A..D.....the post again..... I honestly think that hating is your only emotion. Geez, it's like talking to a 5 year old
I think you are feeling kind of guilty for what you said. I on the other hand am not. Since the last time we talked you declared me the winner so out of courtesy I never quoted you. I made a statement about a guy that really has no idea. A guy that made a sexist statement and you got your feelings hurt. Go get some Kleenex.

I think that it is admirable that women can do pkg car work. Although, my experience is that only about half of them can actually do the work of a man. In my building most of the women are guaranteed power steering vehicles and very few of them can lift a 70lb. package with ease. I do not advocate that they be paid less but I do wonder what UPS would do with a man that couldn't lift a 70lb. Pkg and couldn't drive a non power steering vehicle? Again, I am not being chauvinist but it should be fair across the board, don't you think?

Irishman Collins

I think you are feeling kind of guilty for what you said. I on the other hand am not. Since the last time we talked you declared me the winner so out of courtesy I never quoted you. I made a statement about a guy that really has no idea. A guy that made a sexist statement and you got your feelings hurt. Go get some Kleenex.
Cool, lol!

What in the friend... are u talking about? Sometimes your post make absolutely no sense? I am not trying to be an a.. but they really dont
When I spot a troll or someone who has tried in the past I'm going to call the poster out. If my posts aren't making sense it's you not me. I've always been a poster held in high regard on this forum. The majority like what I have had to say over the years. Some of your own acquaintances like I've pointed out in the past actually ask me things. You are a troll and I'm going to troll you back if you acknowledge me on here. Get used to it.