Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I reserved judgment on Orion for a long time. After all, a lot of company resources were spent developing it and who knows, maybe it would work if given a chance. I wanted to consider it with an open mind and allow it some time for adjustments, etc to be made. I think too many drivers were unnecessarily skeptical and unreceptive to it's initial implementation.

With all that being said, I've come to realize that it totally and unequivocally sucks.
I was very optimistic. I have this stupid engrained thing in my brain, that I try to make things work.
I wanted to be a good employee, by their terms.
I cannot.
I naively thought the things that were wrong on my ride would get fixed with a keystroke. They were not.
Putting the missing parts back together when you have that peachy little machine, just flowed so well. Without it, it does not.
I have come to the conclusion that it doesnt matter what I follow, as long as I get done, and yes they will cry over my overtime, and I no longer care. I hear them complain for 2 minutes and I go about my day.
But I hate, I just absolutely hate being set up to fail. And thats what my Orion makes me do. In the numbers game, I meet nothing.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And as long as I am here, at this company which I am trying to get the he** out of I will never vote for people coming behind me to make less. There is a reason why we are highly paid in the industry. They will not have the dedicated workforce they have with the older people. Yes there are young uns coming in that will do a fine job for 25vs 35, but they will not care about this company continuing to be what it once was. The only adhesive that has held it together through this Orion bullcrap is the drivers who put their jobs on the line every day to make service, and to heck with the rest.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And as long as I am here, at this company which I am trying to get the he** out of I will never vote for people coming behind me to make less. There is a reason why we are highly paid in the industry. They will not have the dedicated workforce they have with the older people. Yes there are young uns coming in that will do a fine job for 25vs 35, but they will not care about this company continuing to be what it once was. The only adhesive that has held it together through this Orion bullcrap is the drivers who put their jobs on the line every day to make service, and to heck with the rest.
I will not either. But are you willing to strike for them? Us 30 year employees might, but all these young guns with families think about themselves, and only themselves.

This company is not what it used to be. UPS will continue to fine tune ORION, to a point where it is almost 100% compliance.

UPS will then only need $25/hr drivers to go where the computer tells them to go.

UPS used to care about service. Now they only care about the almighty dollar.

The "service provider" is starting to become a thing of the past.

There is no $35/hr jobs at GM anymore. There are no $35/hr jobs at Hostess anymore. Hell, there is no Hostess anymore.

ABF employees all took a paycut.

The $35/hr blue collar job is becoming a thing of the past.

I will not either. But are you willing to strike for them? Us 30 year employees might, but all these young guns with families think about themselves, and only themselves.

This company is not what it used to be. UPS will continue to fine tune ORION, to a point where it is almost 100% compliance.

UPS will then only need $25/hr drivers to go where the computer tells them to go.

There is no $35/hr jobs at GM anymore. There are no $35/hr jobs at Hostess anymore. Hell, there is no Hostess anymore.

Don't say that to loud on this forum. You just might hurt someone feelings.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

And here is the perfect example. This is a quote from another thread.

TooTechie said:
Yeah, if the street doesn't exist in my city (misload for another city) then it's ns st, then it gets corrected and put out for delivery again the next day. If it's not far away I just deliver it.

The shipper had the address label correct. We put a bad PAS label on it or just put it in the wrong truck.

He won't even call it in or send it through the DIAD as a misload and give UPS the opportunity to come get it and make service on it.

Like I said, the "service provider" is becoming a thing of the past.

They will pay $25/hr and full benefits to keep good people and pay them to follow the directions of a computer, with possibly a few decisions of their own.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
$35/hour....we get paid less than union plumbers,electricians, carpenters, crane operators, concrete finishers. Shall I go on?

Tradesmen jobs, jobs that require an apprenticeship or tradeschool, are a little different. And there will always be the exceptions to the rule.

Have you checked out the job market lately. A 1 minute search...

Concrete finisher $15-$25/hr
Heavy Equipment Operator $15-$28/hr

ConcreteFinisher
ARC Construction - Sibley, IA
$15 - $20 an hour
Must have experience with hand trowels, power trowels, raking concrete, wet screeding, running skid steers and setting curb forms....

concrete curb finisher SMITH & EDWARDS CONSTRUCTION CO INC - Spring Hill, FL 34610
$16 an hour
In concrete curbing & sidewalk:. Must be able to finish curb and sidewalk, form, set pins, broom....
Easily apply

ConcreteFinisher Northern Improvement Company - Fargo, ND - +1 location
$17.76 an hour
Min 12 months concrete finisher experience required; Smooth and finish surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads or curves using a...

ConcreteFinisher Goodmanson Construction - Roseville, MN
$13 - $25 an hour
A concrete finisher gets to enjoy the outdoors while getting exercise and operates a variety of tools and equipment and if a valid CDL holder, our dump trucks...

Heavy Equipment Operator - Street Sweepi... City of Mesquite 15 reviews - Mesquite, TX
$15.11 an hour
Responsible for supervision of Equipment Operators, Concrete Finishers and Maintenance Workers. Operate and maintain a variety of heavy, complex equipment...

ConcreteFinisher City of San Antonio 53 reviews - San Antonio, TX 78235
$12.52 an hour
Repairs old concrete structures using concrete bonding chemicals. Three (3) years of experience as a journeyman concrete finisher or completion of a recognized...

CraneOperator fairley construction - Hattiesburg, MS
$14 an hour
someone who has experience operating crane/pile driving & in construction willing to do various task health insurance provided Salary: $14.00 /hour Required

CRANEOPERATORS Manpower 4,506 reviews - Durant, IA - +2 locations
$12 - $13 an hour
CRANE OPERATORS NEEDED. OVERHEAD CRANE AND REMOTE CRANE OPERATORS. BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG SCREEN....

CraneOperator U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 208 reviews - Colfax, LA
$24.45 - $28.58 an hour
As a Crane Operator, you will be responsible for operating lattice. Operation of Crane. SCREENOUT - Ability to lead or supervise the work of a Crane Operator...

xcessuv

Benhearb4
ORION only works as well as the DOL is written and if the loop has 5 or more drivers in it. Multiple loops on one route can be difficult but not impossible. The biggest problems are poorly written loops and lack of access to the systems to regulate the ORION system. Upper management does not trust the front line supervisors. We would be speaking German if our generals did not rely on the troops to do their jobs.

Inthegame

ORION only works as well as the DOL is written and if the loop has 5 or more drivers in it. Multiple loops on one route can be difficult but not impossible. The biggest problems are poorly written loops and lack of access to the systems to regulate the ORION system. Upper management does not trust the front line supervisors. We would be speaking German if our generals did not rely on the troops to do their jobs.
Achtung... but umitebrite.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Tradesmen jobs, jobs that require an apprenticeship or tradeschool, are a little different. And there will always be the exceptions to the rule.

ConcreteFinisher
$15 - $20 an hour
Must have experience with hand trowels, power trowels, raking concrete, wet screeding, running skid steers and setting curb forms....

concrete curb finisher SMITH & EDWARDS CONSTRUCTION CO INC - Spring Hill, FL 34610
$16 an hour
In concrete curbing & sidewalk:. Must be able to finish curb and sidewalk, form, set pins, broom....
Easily apply

$17.76 an hour
Min 12 months concrete finisher experience required; Smooth and finish surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads or curves using a...

$13 - $25 an hour
A concrete finisher gets to enjoy the outdoors while getting exercise and operates a variety of tools and equipment and if a valid CDL holder, our dump trucks...

Heavy Equipment Operator - Street Sweepi... City of Mesquite 15 reviews - Mesquite, TX
$15.11 an hour
Responsible for supervision of Equipment Operators, Concrete Finishers and Maintenance Workers. Operate and maintain a variety of heavy, complex equipment...

$12.52 an hour
Repairs old concrete structures using concrete bonding chemicals. Three (3) years of experience as a journeyman concrete finisher or completion of a recognized...

$14 an hour
someone who has experience operating crane/pile driving & in construction willing to do various task health insurance provided Salary: $14.00 /hour Required

$12 - $13 an hour
CRANE OPERATORS NEEDED. OVERHEAD CRANE AND REMOTE CRANE OPERATORS. BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG SCREEN....

$24.45 - $28.58 an hour
As a Crane Operator, you will be responsible for operating lattice. Operation of Crane. SCREENOUT - Ability to lead or supervise the work of a Crane Operator...

Off street UPS driver $18.75 an hour.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

ConcreteFinisher
$15 - $20 an hour

$16 an hour
Easily apply

$17.76 an hour

$13 - $25 an hour

$15.11 an hour

$12.52 an hour

$14 an hour

$12 - $13 an hour

$24.45 - $28.58 an hour

Where your whole theory falls apart and where an "apples and oranges" comparison are taking place, is that none of these want ads are likely for a union job at a company that is at the top of their game, raking in record profits.
A more parallel comparison would be professional athletes who have some of the strongest unions ever, where they bargain for and realize a porporionate piece of the pie.
Whether you are one of those people who consider pro athlete salaries to be obscene, I for one applaud their ability to exact what the market will bare from an industry that is making money hand over fist.

UPS is barely challenged in this market place, with little real competition.
They are positioned to continue to reap massive profits in the foreseeable future, and personally, I know that I earn every penny and benefit afforded me in our collective bargaining agreement.
I also know that to date, there has been no computer program or algorithm that has taken the skill from my hands and transfered it to the DIAID.
There is and always will be far too many variables in play to make the driver expendable.
UPS is notorious for spending enormous amounts of money to implement these systems, then neglect to make the proper investment to maintain them at the local level.
You need to look no further than the PAS system for an example, where my center has at least 70 plans that are independent from one another and have to be maintained individually.

When the next contract negotiations rolls around in 2017, neither the company nor the union will be looking to do anything that will kill the "golden goose".

Last edited:
Where your whole theory falls apart and where an "apples and oranges" comparison are taking place, is that none of these want ads are likely for a union job at a company that is at the top of their game, raking in record profits.
A more parallel comparison would be professional athletes who have some of the strongest unions ever, where they bargain for and realize a porporionate piece of the pie.
Whether you are one of those people who consider pro athlete salaries to be obscene, I for one applaud their ability to exact what the market will bare from an industry that is making money hand over fist.

UPS is barely challenged in this market place, with little real competition.
They are positioned to continue to reap massive profits in the foreseeable future, and personally, I know that I earn every penny and benefit afforded me in our collective bargaining agreement.
I also know that to date, there has been no computer program or algorithm that has taken the skill from my hands and transfered it to the DIAID.
There is and always will be far too many variables in play to make the driver expendable.
UPS is notorious for spending enormous amounts of money to implement these systems, then neglect to make the proper investment to maintain them at the local level.
You need to look no further than the PAS system for an example, where my center has at least 70 plans that are independent from one another and have to be maintained individually.

When the next contract negotiations rolls around in 2017, neither the company nor the union will be looking to do anything that will kill the "golden goose".
In your opinion what could the company and the union do if they wanted to kill this golden goose?

10 point

Its bad out there. No doubt. 14 bucks an hour to build bridges and roads, run cranes, dangerous stuff.
Prevailing wage is NOT $14/hr. Bridge work, highways at $14/hr. Right.

Crane operators here get $38-$65 per hr.

Let's not just pick the bottom feeder areas.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In your opinion, what could the company and the union do if they wanted to kill this golden goose?

I already stated, I don't believe the company or the union want to do anything to kill the golden goose?
What would the purpose be to speculate what could done to do so?
The game for either side is try and exact as much of the spoils as they can for those sitting on their side of the table.

This a game hasn't been going well for my side of the table for more than a decade.