ORION + peak =CLUSterMEss

JackStraw

I know someone at another center that recently went live. They were instructed to now turn around in residential drives to cut miles.

This company is freaking amazing sometimes.
The biggest hypocrites ever. 3 out of 5 days we are told in our pcm"Stay out of driveways!" Now they want us to turn around in them? Can't wait til someone take up chunks of blacktop...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yesterday all of our work was in EDD which made delivering it fairly straightforward; however, I was asked to help out a junior driver who was struggling---the work that he gave me was delivered "old school".
You didn't use the transfer edd function in the diad? Or did the junior driver not have the work in his board either?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I get EDD as soon as I punch in and update it right after the PCM.
I get edd when I punch in then again when I'm outside doing my pretrip because I found if I don't wait that long, I end up with late add/cuts that are in edd when they're not supposed to be or vice versa.

Thebrownstreak

I'm happy to say that i never worked under orion, and never will. But from what I've heard its been an absolute disaster. I was a driver who came up during the EDD years. So i can understand that the "old timers" worked by a totally different system. I do feel that EDD was a big part of learning the basics of an area. It took me a year before i felt comfortable with doing all of the different variables that came during the day. It really took my taking of a rural route where i developed the use of using maps and trying to figure out where to drop in on stops. On my final route, you could take one road and have to drive 5 miles to deliver 1 stop, then turn around and have to drive those 5 miles back to where you started. But if you postponed that stop till later in the day, you could get it from the other end of the road when you were only 1 mile away on the road that intersects it.

I do feel that the new drivers will rely too much on the technology to try and get the job done. Common sense won't come into it.

JL 0513

So right now we are constantly told to never back into driveways unless absolutely necessary. We are told to drive around a block to avoid a back. No shortcuts! We are told. UPS has a long standing strategy of mostly right turns.

Suddenly with ORION, this all goes out the window??

Oh, and how does one "turn ORION off? Someone mentioned earlier. You can't turn EDD off.

OPTION3

I'm happy to say that i never worked under orion, and never will. But from what I've heard its been an absolute disaster. I was a driver who came up during the EDD years. So i can understand that the "old timers" worked by a totally different system. I do feel that EDD was a big part of learning the basics of an area. It took me a year before i felt comfortable with doing all of the different variables that came during the day. It really took my taking of a rural route where i developed the use of using maps and trying to figure out where to drop in on stops. On my final route, you could take one road and have to drive 5 miles to deliver 1 stop, then turn around and have to drive those 5 miles back to where you started. But if you postponed that stop till later in the day, you could get it from the other end of the road when you were only 1 mile away on the road that intersects it.

I do feel that the new drivers will rely too much on the technology to try and get the job done. Common sense won't come into it.
HEE HEE---"old timers"---I remember PAPER

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes but per Orion trainers you are no longer to go to the end of the cul da sac. You are to turn around in the driveway of your deepest stop.
These are the times reciting their 5 keys to backing mantra is all you need. Using their own words against them, then asking what they want you to do going forward makes me smile like an opossum eating peach seeds

Pkgcar1988

So right now we are constantly told to never back into driveways unless absolutely necessary. We are told to drive around a block to avoid a back. No shortcuts! We are told. UPS has a long standing strategy of mostly right turns.

Suddenly with ORION, this all goes out the window??

Oh, and how does one "turn ORION off? Someone mentioned earlier. You can't turn EDD off.
You can toggle between Orion delivery order(odo) or regular delivery order( rdo) on the diad. You do not actually shut it off.