ORION

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Honest question....., because I'm not on Orion yet.

Does the Orion solution shift and change as the day progresses, or is it locked in from the morning download.
It is locked in from the morning download. Any subsequent deviations from your dispatch (misloads, OCA's, ODPU"s etc.) are not factored into the solution. So even if it does come up with a reasonably good solution, it can go right out the window once you leave the building and enter the real world.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I will try to follow it until I get my NDA off, then I will spend the rest of the day cleaning up what's left. Mine will often times have two or three stops miles off trace and then it wants me to come back to where I was. Or drive by five big subdivisions off a main road and want me to backtrack to where I was. It has a lot of major flaws in it, it's easy to shave a few miles off the plan.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is locked in from the morning download. Any subsequent deviations from your dispatch (misloads, OCA's, ODPU"s etc.) are not factored into the solution. So even if it does come up with a reasonably good solution, it can go right out the window once you leave the building and enter the real world.

Plus, if you have late air unload, your solution is jacked. A leave building time is entered and if you leave 20 minutes late, the plan is an immediate failure.

Some of the routes that I cover, running section 1 is an Orion priority, even though section 1 is frequently a cut of resi stops.

Last week's route, section 8 seemed to be a priority. It had me run a group of section 8 stops, drive 2 miles to 2 stops that I passed to get to the resi stops; deliver them, drive past the stops I had done and deliver some more. I was over miles 1 day; for the week, I was 20 miles under.

Some routes, have a 20 minute NDA delivery cushion, others have less than 5 minutes. Hard to tell which is which till you get on route and start delivering. Another route, the NDA is loaded with all the packages, Orion wants me to pick out the NDA, deliver other stops and NDA, then go back and deliver the rest of the bulk.

It is silly how easy it is to beat Orion. UPS should return Orion and ask for their money back.

Overpaid Union Thug

One of the next versions of ORION will be able to update the solution as we go. If it can't get it right the first time then I doubt it will do much better live. Sounds like even more money will be wasted.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is not meant to be an end all be all on any route.
It should be closer than it is on any route, It should also have a bail option. When too many factors get in the way of the solution. Like left building time, construction, on calls, it should readjust or bail. At least that is what I would expect if I had spent billions.

UPSGUY72

One of the next versions of ORION will be able to update the solution as we go. If it can't get it right the first time then I doubt it will do much better live. Sounds like even more money will be wasted.

That has nightmare written all over it. As it could readjust after every stop so you have to hunt and peck at every stop as you couldn't sort because you would never now whatthe next stop would actually be until you stop completed the last stop.

JackStraw

That has nightmare written all over it. As it could readjust after every stop so you have to hunt and peck at every stop as you couldn't sort because you would never now whatthe next stop would actually be until you stop completed the last stop.
I would think that you would have to hit a button in order for this to happen. That's how I would do it. But that's me. Just a driver.

Anthonysg0113

You're correct. It's about control.

Nike

Lol ups drivers get paid wayy too much not to think, if anything this orion system should be at fedx or a similar shipping company. We should be thinking and innovating every day to work thru the many problems that bubble up each and everyday. A waste of money at this point

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

Lol ups drivers get paid wayy too much not to think, if anything this orion system should be at fedx or a similar shipping company. We should be thinking and innovating every day to work thru the many problems that bubble up each and everyday. A waste of money at this point

Sent using BrownCafe App

LOL Some of the drivers shouldn't be allowed to ever think... ?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Following ORION requires a level of intentional, abject stupidity that I am simply incapable of. Its like being told to deliberately crap in my pants. I just cant force myself do it, no matter how hard I try.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Following ORION requires a level of intentional, abject stupidity that I am simply incapable of. Its like being told to deliberately crap in my pants. I just cant force myself do it, no matter how hard I try.

Eat lunch at Krystal, and see what happens next.