Orlando Hub

Faceplanted

I work in the region. Orlando hired about 50 feeder drivers for the day sort last peak. Day sort was cut due to loosing tons of money. So now we have about 50 coverage feeder guys back in package. Unless the day sort re opens and becomes perminant expect a real long wait

Rumors are Ali baba is thinking of opening up a hub, but word is it will be in Lakeland. Between the Amazon work they got and the possible Ali baba that is prob the best place to be.

LJB

I work in the region. Orlando hired about 50 feeder drivers for the day sort last peak. Day sort was cut due to loosing tons of money. So now we have about 50 coverage feeder guys back in package. Unless the day sort re opens and becomes perminant expect a real long wait

Rumors are Ali baba is thinking of opening up a hub, but word is it will be in Lakeland. Between the Amazon work they got and the possible Ali baba that is prob the best place to be.

Thank you for the information!

Scuba Steve

This isn't a rumour. There are two distribution centers slated to start construction next month. Each close to a million sf. They will be in the vicinity of I-4 and 27.

Faceplanted

There u have it. it looks like Lakeland is the place to be if you want in on feeders. I seen tons of young whipper snappers in feeders from Lakeland already, throw in these new distribution centers and its only gonna get better

Rumor has it orlando is hiring 40 or so new package drivers so I would assume the day sort will be back and running in orlando for peak. Fyi laSt year even with the new feeder guys everybody in feeders was getting 60hr a week no matter what, shinny wheels and all. Gotta be rough to go from 9-7 schedule to working craxy hours at night for the rookies who decided to take the shot

Scuba Steve

These two buildings are for Walmart distribution.

They are Walmart but it is not traditional DC's supplying the stores. This is to compete directly with Amazon with online ordering. A lot of inbound stock shipments and a lot of outbound small package business.

Now for the bad news. This is going up next to a 300,000 sf Fed Ex Ground Distribution Center that is already under construction. FDX ground currently has 3 in Florida that they are building. Ocala, Polk County and Miami. They are putting a lot of money into Ground. FDX Ground has opened up something like 11 new hubs in the last 4 years. It looks like they will open 4 that I'm aware of just between 2015-2016. They aim to beat UPS time in transit to gain more business.

You guys need to make a stronger push to get FDX Unionized. I'm not a UPS'er other than a legacy shareholder that grew up around the company. I support UPS and know the sacrifices and how hard each of you works everyday. You deserve the wage you earn. It's disgusting that FDX uses contract labor at a fraction of what you are paid. Then they take the profits off the workers backs to reinvest to steal customers away from UPS by lower pricing and quicker shipping lanes, creating more profit dollars for Fred...

Last edited:

AutoZone

BrownPower
Ups Orlando is also building an air distribution center near the airport.. Yes, they will need more feeder drivers.. But those jobs will come from within from the 25 year + package car drivers that will be all over those trying to get away from delivery jobs. So that will hopefully pull the chain up... I hope to be in a PC within 1-2 years cause of that

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ups Orlando is also building an air distribution center near the airport.. Yes, they will need more feeder drivers.. But those jobs will come from within from the 25 year + package car drivers that will be all over those trying to get away from delivery jobs. So that will hopefully pull the chain up... I hope to be in a PC within 1-2 years cause of that
Are you going to post in every thread your fetish for really wanting to be a ups driver? You haven't even obtained your seniority. You really are assuming a lot. I'm in Florida and I can tell you that you are dreaming if you think the wait will be 1-2 years.

Just pay your dues and put in your time without quitting again and when it happens, it'll happen. Those 25 plus years guys going into feeders won't put you in a package car that quick. It'll move you up in seniority but in FL expect a 5-7 year wait. And that's being generous.