Ouch. New Insurance Co Pay

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
That's not what he said. He made a 100 percent close minded statement that was ridiculous. It's like saying that whenever your kids need something you won't buy it. Ridiculously obstinate.
It's not at all like that. They've already proven they can't negotiate anymore. And "good deal" was my BA's own words in trying to justify pushing through a contract that was worse than the last.

CHALLY9TX

Sometime true but not always. The inactive ingredients can have effects such as altering rates of absorption which impacts people differently. Some generics you can tell the difference without being told whether it is name brand or not. Some are just as good and in those cases definitely get the generic but people should still have the option to get name brand if it works better for them. Or even go to a different pharmacy that uses generics from a different manufacturer that may work better for them.

With your reasoning then we can say that some generics are better than the name brand. I still say it's all in the persons head. The generics have to meet the same standards as the name brand, including the rates of absorption.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
It's not at all like that. They've already proven they can't negotiate anymore. And "good deal" was my BA's own words in trying to justify pushing through a contract that was worse than the last.
So if they negotiate that you go back to a UPS plan your going to vote no?

box_beeyotch

So if they negotiate that you go back to a UPS plan your going to vote no?

Depends on how good the UPS plan is. If it's worse than what we already have, then obviously no. We as bargaining unit members need to understand the consequences of such negotiations. If we were as strong as we should be, which were not we would be doing way better than we are instead of settling for the BS of this past contract.

ski or die

Ski or Die
With your reasoning then we can say that some generics are better than the name brand. I still say it's all in the persons head. The generics have to meet the same standards as the name brand, including the rates of absorption.
Being retired, I have Medicare Part D for prescriptions. One of my prescriptions continually raised their price each year till this year that one alone would cost me $2500 per year. Part D has a donut whole at $2950 which this prescription alone almost put me there only leaving $450 for any other prescriptions. I switched to a generic. The prescription was for cholesterol. I have had my blood work done since the switch and my cholesterol numbers are almost the same. Sent an email to Crestor and received a generic response and that maybe I would be eligible for assistance. With our pension it wasn't even close to being eligible.

oldngray

nowhere special

I totally disagree from personal experience. Generics are equivalent. Not identical. The slight differences in formulations can alter the effect on different people. Some meds I couldn't tell the diffeence but some others very definite difference. Not just my opinion either. I have seen the same thing happen for other people. Apparently you have never taken a medication yourself that you could tell the difference. That only applies to you and the meds you took.

CHALLY9TX

I totally disagree from personal experience. Generics are equivalent. Not identical. The slight differences in formulations can alter the effect on different people. Some meds I couldn't tell the diffeence but some others very definite difference. Not just my opinion either. I have seen the same thing happen for other people. Apparently you have never taken a medication yourself that you could tell the difference. That only applies to you and the meds you took.

It's not about opinions. It's about facts.
Generics have to do the EXACT SAME thing as brand name or else they don't get approved. Some brand name companies even make the generics to keep making $$$. Generics and brand name......they have to be the same. Any perceived differences is purely mental and/or can be attributed to other factors.

box_beeyotch

Generics have to do the EXACT SAME thing as brand name or else they don't get approved. Some brand name companies even make the generics to keep making $$$. Generics and brand name......they have to be the same. Any perceived differences is purely mental and/or can be attributed to other factors.

That's what they SAY. Do you believe everything you hear? Because I know for a fact the medication I'm on...the generic is not nearly as powerful as the brand name. And before you ask it's none of your business what medication that is.

oldngray

nowhere special

Nope. You are wrong again. Generics have identical active ingredients but are usually a slightly different formulation. It is the "inactive" ingredients that can make a difference.

FDA requires that generic forms of prescription medication contain the same active ingredient as the brand name. However, the agency allows the generic drug to include different inactive components, such as binders to keep the pill together and release agents to dispense the ingredients.

However, some generic drugs' dissolution processes has been found to significantly alter the effectiveness of the drug compared to the name-brand medication.

According to ABC News, determining the drug's dissolution process is important, because Wellbutrin XL is an "extended release" drug, meaning it intermittently releases the drug's active ingredient into a patient's system. Generic drugs are not required to have the same release mechanism as the brand-name medications.

The ConsumerLab.com researchers found that after two hours, 34% of Budeprion's active ingredient had been released, compared with just 8% for Wellbutrin. ConsumerLab.com president Ted Cooperman calls the results "shocking," adding, "You're getting a burst of medication coming out very early on with the generic that you shouldn't be getting." According to ABC News, the initial large burst of Budeprion's active ingredient would cause the patient's energy to spike, leaving few active ingredients in the patient's body for the remainder of the day and potentially causing unexpected side effects.
http://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...lls-arent-always-identical-to-brand-name-ones

If you want to google it yourself you will see similar articles. Or have more personal experience taking both generic and name brand medications. As I said before, sometimes there will be no noticeable difference but other times there is a difference.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's what they SAY. Do you believe everything you hear? Because I know for a fact the medication I'm on...the generic is not nearly as powerful as the brand name. And before you ask it's none of your business what medication that is.
There's a generic for Zoloft?

Can they double the dose?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nope. You are wrong again. Generics have identical active ingredients but are usually a slightly different formulation. It is the "inactive" ingredients that can make a difference.

FDA requires that generic forms of prescription medication contain the same active ingredient as the brand name. However, the agency allows the generic drug to include different inactive components, such as binders to keep the pill together and release agents to dispense the ingredients.

However, some generic drugs' dissolution processes has been found to significantly alter the effectiveness of the drug compared to the name-brand medication.

According to ABC News, determining the drug's dissolution process is important, because Wellbutrin XL is an "extended release" drug, meaning it intermittently releases the drug's active ingredient into a patient's system. Generic drugs are not required to have the same release mechanism as the brand-name medications.

The ConsumerLab.com researchers found that after two hours, 34% of Budeprion's active ingredient had been released, compared with just 8% for Wellbutrin. ConsumerLab.com president Ted Cooperman calls the results "shocking," adding, "You're getting a burst of medication coming out very early on with the generic that you shouldn't be getting." According to ABC News, the initial large burst of Budeprion's active ingredient would cause the patient's energy to spike, leaving few active ingredients in the patient's body for the remainder of the day and potentially causing unexpected side effects.
http://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...lls-arent-always-identical-to-brand-name-ones

If you want to google it yourself you will see similar articles. Or have more personal experience taking both generic and name brand medications. As I said before, sometimes there will be no noticeable difference but other times there is a difference.
The time release aspect is the only difference I have heard of that is of significance.

I experienced this with a rather expensive time release gastro medicine.
The generic OTC was effective but I did notice a difference.
Not sure I would have paid the difference in out of pocket cost myself.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Being retired, I have Medicare Part D for prescriptions. One of my prescriptions continually raised their price each year till this year that one alone would cost me $2500 per year. Part D has a donut whole at $2950 which this prescription alone almost put me there only leaving $450 for any other prescriptions. I switched to a generic. The prescription was for cholesterol. I have had my blood work done since the switch and my cholesterol numbers are almost the same. Sent an email to Crestor and received a generic response and that maybe I would be eligible for assistance. With our pension it wasn't even close to being eligible.
Same experience.
Cholesterol is actually lower with generic.

Inthegame

I eat steel cut oatmeal almost every day. It lowered my cholesterol by 75 points. Might switch to a generic brand of oatmeal if it gets too expensive.

anHOURover

Not me princess. Only you. Not everybody had their medical changed.
But you supported 4 year progression which hurts members and saves the company millions!!
You also supported watered down insurance for the poor retirees which is costing them an arm and leg..
You also supported weak subcontracting language which the company continues to eliminate jobs and save millions!!
You sound very COMPANY friendly brother!!

Last edited by a moderator:

CHALLY9TX

Do I care what your taking? No. And IDGAF. You underestimate how your mind can work. By thinking generics are inferior, you're already possibly reducing its effectiveness.