Overallowance and harassment

clean hairy

If they say you are running over, have them to drive with you observing so they demonstrate how to run the route without going over while following all the methods.

PreTrippin’

A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
I got pulled into the office today with another driver. There was also a steward present. Our manager told me and the other driver that we were running over. I explained to my manager that the route I’m on has gotten heavier due to route cuts and I’m also now covering a bigger area but he shook his head and replied with “there’s something else going on.”

The steward pulled me aside and said that they’ve already started following drivers around and firing them for petty reasons like walking out of a store with a cup of coffee that someone gave them. He said that if they follow me chances are they’ll find some reason to fire me. He also explained that they’re doing this in large part because of the new contract and wanting to get rid of drivers.

I’m not slacking off on my route and I’m honestly surprised that I run over considering I’m running 200 stops a day plus pickups and still making it back with time to spare. However, if I get followed they might catch me doing something wrong even though I try my best to follow the methods. Sure I might not honk my horn at literally every stop but everyone does something that could count against them. It’s just stupid because I’m out there working hard running an over dispatched route every day and they’re acting like I’m a villain.

I’m just going to try to stay on Ps and Qs. If they want to spy on me and hope to catch me doing something then at this point that reflects more poorly on them because I’ve tried to explain how dispatch could fix the route but it’s gotten even worse. What can I do?
Start filing 9.5s my guy. If they want to play with numbers then play. It’ll be a few weeks of nonsense where they whine and cry and you get paid triple time then your center manager will be so sick of writing himself up to the dm that they’ll leave you alone.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
I got pulled into the office today with another driver. There was also a steward present. Our manager told me and the other driver that we were running over. I explained to my manager that the route I’m on has gotten heavier due to route cuts and I’m also now covering a bigger area but he shook his head and replied with “there’s something else going on.”

The steward pulled me aside and said that they’ve already started following drivers around and firing them for petty reasons like walking out of a store with a cup of coffee that someone gave them. He said that if they follow me chances are they’ll find some reason to fire me. He also explained that they’re doing this in large part because of the new contract and wanting to get rid of drivers.

I’m not slacking off on my route and I’m honestly surprised that I run over considering I’m running 200 stops a day plus pickups and still making it back with time to spare. However, if I get followed they might catch me doing something wrong even though I try my best to follow the methods. Sure I might not honk my horn at literally every stop but everyone does something that could count against them. It’s just stupid because I’m out there working hard running an over dispatched route every day and they’re acting like I’m a villain.

I’m just going to try to stay on Ps and Qs. If they want to spy on me and hope to catch me doing something then at this point that reflects more poorly on them because I’ve tried to explain how dispatch could fix the route but it’s gotten even worse. What can I do?
Don’t be the lowest hanging fruit.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When he said, "there's something else going on" I would have said, "wait a minute....you're accusing me of something and then you're asking me to define what it is I'm being accused of....I can't do that. You tell me what I'm being accused of.".

See what he says.
Exactly. Stop trying to justify every little thing that you think might slow you down... just file on their ass. We're beyond basic questioning here.... they want to get rid of people and drivers needs to start getting paper trails started against this manager...he/she will be second guessing things when a bunch of harassment grievances come rolling in.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Like was already said. Just focus on doing the job and the most they can do is start progressive discipline that you can grieve and your BA will fight.

As long as you're not talking on your phone while standing around on the clock or getting buying food/drink after using the restroom on the clock or anything else that isn't working you'll be fine.

Don't worry and just work how you were trained and safely.
And don't get all funky and start rushing under pressure... I have seen many guys over the years do this and get into accidents and injuries (IE SURGERIES). It's bull:censored2: stop trying to justify a bs system that was never meant to be a fair thing anyway. A corporation isn't going to give anyone a fair shake at nothing!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If they say you are running over, have them to drive with you observing so they demonstrate how to run the route without going over while following all the methods.
They will never take you up on this offer... I had tried many times over the years when in pkg and it never happen.... big shocker wonder why.

fty589

Exactly. Stop trying to justify every little thing that you think might slow you down... just file on their ass. We're beyond basic questioning here.... they want to get rid of people and drivers needs to start getting paper trails started against this manager...he/she will be second guessing things when a bunch of harassment grievances come rolling in.
I’m just going to follow the methods to a T. I’m not going to bother talking to the dispatcher or anyone in management. It’s useless. If they want to get me for some bs then whatever. I actually didn’t sign up for the 9.5 list this year but filing just seems to lead to more harassment. I’ll just assume I’m being followed at all times. There’s nothing more I can do really.

fty589

And don't get all funky and start rushing under pressure... I have seen many guys over the years do this and get into accidents and injuries (IE SURGERIES). It's bull:censored2: stop trying to justify a bs system that was never meant to be a fair thing anyway. A corporation isn't going to give anyone a fair shake at nothing!
I’m not. I’m just going to follow all the methods they want me to break when it’s convenient for them. I’m done with the bullsheet.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I’m just going to follow the methods to a T. I’m not going to bother talking to the dispatcher or anyone in management. It’s useless. If they want to get me for some bs then whatever. I actually didn’t sign up for the 9.5 list this year but filing just seems to lead to more harassment. I’ll just assume I’m being followed at all times. There’s nothing more I can do really.
It can be stressful but just keep getting on. Don't let them get to you and make sure you document everything and have a stew with you whenever they talk to you...now they are under a microscope. They just pissed you are filling 9.5's on them...keep doing that and hopefully you'll start getting better dispatches and some bonus penalty pay.

Thebrownblob

The best way to do this job is working as if there’s a supervisor sitting next to you all day.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
There's drivers out there doing some pretty shady things...even in feeders, you'd be surprised...or maybe not.
We have guys who sheet air in the building.

They run a hell of a lot of bonus. Bet I make more in 25 years than they will in the 3 till they get caught and fired, though.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
2 things have been huge at my center, honking your horn at every stop and folding your mirror in. The only people who have to worry are the ones paid over, those rules are ignored if you’re a scratch driver. But they are hitting drivers with discipline here on it.

A new thing they have also been doing is saying there is a UPS walk pace. 2.5 steps per second is the “method” according to my management team. I laughed when I heard it but it’s out there.
Told them I wouldn’t be folding my mirror in It’s against one of their “safety methods” End range motion already had that shoulder operated on Never heard another word about it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We have guys who sheet air in the building.

They run a hell of a lot of bonus. Bet I make more in 25 years than they will in the 3 till they get caught and fired, though.
Some of our fellow teamsters are stupid AF...who would do that in 2024??? Same with some of these mgt trying to hide this or that?? There are people who are watching them also...so whatever.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I remember when they was pushing to “use your mirrors” and the demonstrator was showing how if you use the top and bottom mirror there are no blind spots. Fast forward to my next safety ride and the supervisor asked why I didn’t look over my shoulder when pulling from the curb. I told him “didn’t you see me looking in the mirror?” He said yes but you need to look over your shoulder to make sure no one is right next to the truck in your “blind spot.” I reminded him that there was no blind spot if you use both mirrors and I’ll give you $100 if you can find a blind spot when your by the vehicle. He said ”just look over your shoulder, it’s a method. So the rest of the day I would check my mirror then just turn my head without leaning over so all I could see is the metal behind me. He never said anything.

I remember when they was pushing to “use your mirrors” and the demonstrator was showing how if you use the top and bottom mirror there are no blind spots. Fast forward to my next safety ride and the supervisor asked why I didn’t look over my shoulder when pulling from the curb. I told him “didn’t you see me looking in the mirror?” He said yes but you need to look over your shoulder to make sure no one is right next to the truck in your “blind spot.” I reminded him that there was no blind spot if you use both mirrors and I’ll give you $100 if you can find a blind spot when your by the vehicle. He said ”just look over your shoulder, it’s a method. So the rest of the day I would check my mirror then just turn my head without leaning over so all I could see is the metal behind me. He never said anything.
Always love that they tell you to avoid and range motions
So what do you call leaning out your vehicle to tuck your mirror in?