Pain as an unloader :(

CEFr

So I have been an unloader at UPS for 3 months and some change now, and I love this job. Unloading is super fun and I was really looking forward to my first peak season. However, about a month after I started I developed pain in my elbow, I know the injury is UPS related because i've had no history of joint pain until I started this job and don't do anything physically exerting aside from the unload(sunrise shift).

When I first experienced pain I visited a doctor who recommended 5 days off and meloxicam(NSAID) to alleviate the pain but he advised me when I went back to work the issue would arise again and suggested to try lifting differently... but how on earth do you lift without using your forearms and moving your elbows?(anyway I digress). Afterwards I let my FT sup in on what was happening and he offered to move me to wallsweep on any given day thinking that would help if my arms got too bad. I appreciate how strict my sups are on safety becasue I am very concerned with my safety as are they in the unload. So as I religiously adhere to the 8's and 5's this pain in my elbow develops regardless. At first it was a nagging pain but now 2 months later it has developed into pain that hinders my performance(pph). Now I have a similar pain in my wrists which makes it hard to do simple things like steering my car, pushing doors open or lifting any packages over 30 pounds.

So of course after struggling to finish my shift today I brought it to my sups attention again and he said he would have to talk to his boss and advised me to show up tomorow and i'm hoping I will have a chance to explain my situation to them then. My problem is I don't have health insurance, nor will I for some time and i'm not certain I can last that long. I know the timing could not be worse with peak and all that but the only thing more important to me than this job is my health. If I have to choose I will choose my health, I really don't want permanent joint or ligament damage by the time i'm 25(2 years from now). My own safety is not my only concern, with my grip strength the way it is, its possible I could drop an irreg on myself or my wallsweeps or coworkers or w/e and not be able to announce in time etc.

1. I love this job and its the best thing to ever happen to me and I don't want to lose it.
2. I don't want to leave my sups and co-unloaders to pick up my slack

So i guess what i'm asking is, from all your experience with UPS, does anyone know how this might play out for me?

Should I try to get through the unload tomorow if they ask me?(Since peak is around the corner I fear they will try to get me to work[yes, I understand how important attendance is during this time] despite my ligament weakness.)

Will my bosses try to accommodate me and move me to another position?

If not will they try to fire me on the spot assuming i'm a liability?

Are there any moves i can make through my union steward to get in front of this?(Not familiar at all with the Union stuff as I haven't had the need to involve them yet.)

--Thanks in advance for helpful responses--

P.S. I have experienced no pain otherwise in the unload except for what i've outlined in this post.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
So I have been an unloader at UPS for 3 months and some change now, and I love this job. Unloading is super fun and I was really looking forward to my first peak season. However, about a month after I started I developed pain in my elbow, I know the injury is UPS related because i've had no history of joint pain until I started this job and don't do anything physically exerting aside from the unload(sunrise shift).

When I first experienced pain I visited a doctor who recommended 5 days off and meloxicam(NSAID) to alleviate the pain but he advised me when I went back to work the issue would arise again and suggested to try lifting differently... but how on earth do you lift without using your forearms and moving your elbows?(anyway I digress). Afterwards I let my FT sup in on what was happening and he offered to move me to wallsweep on any given day thinking that would help if my arms got too bad. I appreciate how strict my sups are on safety becasue I am very concerned with my safety as are they in the unload. So as I religiously adhere to the 8's and 5's this pain in my elbow develops regardless. At first it was a nagging pain but now 2 months later it has developed into pain that hinders my performance(pph). Now I have a similar pain in my wrists which makes it hard to do simple things like steering my car, pushing doors open or lifting any packages over 30 pounds.

So of course after struggling to finish my shift today I brought it to my sups attention again and he said he would have to talk to his boss and advised me to show up tomorow and i'm hoping I will have a chance to explain my situation to them then. My problem is I don't have health insurance, nor will I for some time and i'm not certain I can last that long. I know the timing could not be worse with peak and all that but the only thing more important to me than this job is my health. If I have to choose I will choose my health, I really don't want permanent joint or ligament damage by the time i'm 25(2 years from now). My own safety is not my only concern, with my grip strength the way it is, its possible I could drop an irreg on myself or my wallsweeps or coworkers or w/e and not be able to announce in time etc.

1. I love this job and its the best thing to ever happen to me and I don't want to lose it.

So i guess what i'm asking is, from all your experience with UPS, does anyone know how this might play out for me?

Should I try to get through the unload tomorow if they ask me?(Since peak is around the corner I fear they will try to get me to work[yes, I understand how important attendance is during this time] despite my ligament weakness.)

Are there any moves i can make through my union steward to get in front of this?(Not familiar at all with the Union stuff as I haven't had the need to involve them yet.)

P.S. I have experienced no pain otherwise in the unload except for what i've outlined in this post.
I stopped reading after you said this job is " super fun".

UPyourS

@CEFr...youll probably get better advice from a BOX than on this site. I learned that from my first post. Never again lol.. Try asking people at your hub doing that will eliminate the trolling. Good luck.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Try and keep your elbows close to your sides of your torso while lifting/carrying and keep heavy packages close to your chest....it puts less stress on your joints while lifting. Aka work within your Power Zone, and avoid end range motions (like not lifting a package out in front of you with arms somewhat extended). It sounds like cheesy UPS garbage jargon....but it does make a difference over time.

Mueller makes a good elbow Velcro brace...I think I paid less than 10 bucks at Walmart. Try it....the extra support might help with the pain.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Try and keep your elbows close to your sides while lifting/carrying and keep heavy packages close to your chest....it puts less stress on them while lifting. Aka work within your Power Zone, and avoid end range motions (like lifting a package out in front of you with arms somewhat extended). It sounds like cheesy UPS garbage jargon....but it does make a difference.
I expected more from you. :(

AllOnTheHorses

I experienced similar pain when I started in preload, years ago. I bet it goes away.. as mine did. The timing of your pain, to me, is typical.
The braces, that seem like they will not work, can make a difference.
Years ago when I started fencing, and hockey, the pain was intense from using muscles that are not used to being used so much. But they will acclimate.
Seriously, make sure you are drinking a lot of water now, tmw and the next day for the rest of your UPS career. Water to the body is like oil is to an engine. Stretch. You don't see athletes going out to play without a warmup including stretches. It sounds dumb, but water and stretching makes a HUGE difference.
I am not a doctor, but I play one on the internet.

janedoe

Another girl on my belt injured her shoulder and they sent her to do tape jobs and random stuff for two weeks so hopefully it'll be the same for you. In regards to the injury. It's sounds like tennis elbow probably caused by the repetitive motion of picking up, putting down. I don't want to sound like a sup but definitely stretch. In your case hold your arm out and with your other arm pull your wrist back. Hope everything works out!

wayfair

swollen member
When I first experienced pain I visited a doctor who recommended 5 days off and meloxicam(NSAID) to alleviate the pain but he advised me when I went back to work the issue would arise again and suggested to try lifting differently...

Did the Doctor or nurse ask if it was work related?