Parents Gifting Their Children FYI

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Before my parents passed away they gifted their children the max amount per year which I think was $13,000 a year. It may have increased by now.

The reason was to keep their total estate below a certain level before they died so any of their estate taxes over a certain amount ( think it was 600k )would not be taxed at about 50%.

none of the children needed the money but it was easy to understand their motives.

now the shoe is on the other foot and we will have to do the same thing soon. I am not sure if it is a good thing to give all our children $14k a year as gifts since they are only in their 30's but I would rather do that than give it to Uncle Sam.

or we could spend it all before we croak but i dont know on what. we have never been big spenders.

I would only give cash and not cash in stocks or real estate.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Before my parents passed away they gifted their children the max amount per year which I think was $13,000 a year. It may have increased by now.

The reason was to keep their total estate below a certain level before they died so any of their estate taxes over a certain amount ( think it was 600k )would not be taxed at about 50%.

none of the children needed the money but it was easy to understand their motives.

now the shoe is on the other foot and we will have to do the same thing soon. I am not sure if it is a good thing to give all our children $14k a year as gifts since they are only in their 30's but I would rather do that than give it to Uncle Sam.

or we could spend it all before we croak but i dont know on what. we have never been big spenders.

I would only give cash and not cash in stocks or real estate.
Mom??
Its your long lost son

The 14,000 gift is another misunderstanding. That's the amount you can give without doing any paperwork. You. Could give you kids a million dollars if you wanted to. No income tax is due by you do need to file the paperwork

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
$2 million in 2008, $1 million in 2003 and $675,000 in 2001. The estate and gift tax exemption amount was set at $5 million in 2011, indexed for inflation.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I plan on spending all of my kids inheritance.
my parents said that too but they still left us a lot.

We really don't travel much or like to fly. We take day trips and weekend trips. Stuff like that. The house is paid for and we have everything we need.

Just don't really know what we can spend it on. We are thinking of setting up a trust for college educations and down payments on homes. Just not sure what parameters to set.

With 6 grown children and 12 grands we feel that is the best legacy we can leave.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The 14,000 gift is another misunderstanding. That's the amount you can give without doing any paperwork. You. Could give you kids a million dollars if you wanted to. No income tax is due by you do need to file the paperwork
And the purpose of the paperwork is to provide a paper trail so the Central government can try and tax any amount over $14,000.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
my parents said that too but they still left us a lot.

We really don't travel much or like to fly. We take day trips and weekend trips. Stuff like that. The house is paid for and we have everything we need.

Just don't really know what we can spend it on. We are thinking of setting up a trust for college educations and down payments on homes. Just not sure what parameters to set.

With 6 grown children and 12 grands we feel that is the best legacy we can leave.

Start a retirement home for old strippers
Iam sure there is a need