Part timer delivers ground pkgs mid shift.

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by cudwortho, Jun 23, 2016.

1. cudwortho

cudwortho New Member

I'm a part timer on local sort and work from 5pm-10pm. I didn't sign up for seasonal or vacation day coverage. I was asked to deliver ground pkgs @ 8pm and finished @10pm then finished my local sort job around midnight. I did get paid full drivers pay for the entire day, but my question is should I have received overtime drivers pay after 5 hrs? Just to clarify I did start my local sort duties @ 5pm. Thanks.

2. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Varies by supplement, but in my area once you report to work as a cover driver you're guaranteed an 8 hour day with OT after 8 hours and that overrides your usual OT rate after 5 hours as a PT'er.

Based on that, I would say you should have been guaranteed a full 8 hour day in lieu of OT after 5 hours. Never heard of someone getting pulled to run ground at 8:00 PM though -- that's a new one.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Where in the heck were you delivering between 8-10 pm?

4. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

An unhappy customer's house.

5. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I am assuming he is air qualified as an Air Exception/Saturday driver under Art 40. He would be paid top driver rate for delivering ground for all hours worked while driving. No 8 hour guarantee. Happens to me all the time.

6. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

In my local if you aren't a FT employee and you deliver a ground package even 1 you're then a qualified FT employee.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

This is 100% untrue.

8. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

It's scary that you're a steward

9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

He's a steward? I'm skeptical.

10. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Yep

11. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

A steward who's going to slow down if he has to work Saturdays.

12. HardknocksUPSer

Air drivers aren't supposed to deliver ground. That's what I've always been taught anyways.

13. HardknocksUPSer

I will.

14. HardknocksUPSer

I'm a preload steward, not a FT steward, two different animals there.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

They're not but delivering just one ground package does not automatically make them a FT employee.

16. UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader Active Member

I think what he's thinking of is that if the Air driver delivers one piece of ground he/she get paid top rate for the day.

17. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

So do you want a supervisor to deliver the ground package or a dues paying Union member? I delivered ground everyday this week. We also have like 6 drivers trying to qualify.

18. UpstateNYUPSer

I would much rather have an hourly do it but it would be absurd to state that an air driver delivering just one ground package is automatically FT qualified.

19. cudwortho

cudwortho New Member

I am air qualified and deliver air most Saturdays. We had several missed pkgs that day do to the preload screwing up. So they asked me to run a few of em when some of the drivers came in.

20. UpstateNYUPSer

Do you think running off a few ground packages makes you qualified to be a FT driver with your own route?