part tinme verses full time seniority

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Is there any other union shop that has seperate seniority lists? Seniority should be based on your hire date only , not hours worked. Keep it simple. We have a number of 22.3 who choose to work part time hours.
Just in my opinion, keeping it simple is ensuring that FT people have the most seniority. Otherwise, you're going to have a 20 year part-time person who accepts a full-time job, bumping a 19 year full-time person. That's much worse than a FT with less company seniority bumping a part-timer.

Please think about that - you are a 19 year full-time driver, working your :censored2: off 9-10-11 hour days for all of that time...and a part-timer bumps you off a route.

Just in my opinion, keeping it simple is ensuring that FT people have the most seniority. Otherwise, you're going to have a 20 year part-time person who accepts a full-time job, bumping a 19 year full-time person. That's much worse than a FT with less company seniority bumping a part-timer.

Please think about that - you are a 19 year full-time driver, working your :censored2: off 9-10-11 hour days for all of that time...and a part-timer bumps you off a route.
I understand that seniority in a hub can not combine package centers and inside employees. My issue is two people performing the same job and the ft has preferred treatment in that classification.
Your 19 year driver was hired off the street into package that most of us had to bust :censored2: ten years in the hub , double shifting 9-10 hours a day , to bid that job. Please think about that.

Ouch

How is a full-time seniority Driver.... only working part-time ?

The OP needs to talk with the Steward or BA, to review any supplemental language or Local seniority practice.

The general rule of thumb is....

"With all else being equal.... seniority rules."

​-Bug-

Here if your on TAW you have to double shift to get your 8 hrs. If the op is only working one shift he will not see him come in on another shift.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I understand that seniority in a hub can not combine package centers and inside employees. My issue is two people performing the same job and the ft has preferred treatment in that classification.
Your 19 year driver was hired off the street into package that most of us had to bust :censored2: ten years in the hub , double shifting 9-10 hours a day , to bid that job. Please think about that.
Again, if a FT and PT employee are competing for the job, the FT bids the job (not assigned, again, bids it), then the job is now a FT job, not PT. The PT person doesn't bid specific jobs, at least to my knowledge, but they can move to different preferred areas by seniority (ntl contract specifies this)

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It seems like he would have a case if the FTer bumped some PTer out of their sorting position. The contract language sounds like the FTer is only allowed to bump to the lowest seniority position, not higher seniority positions.

Keep in mind part timers don't have "positions" as they are classified as WAD package handlers. While PTers are assigned to different sups and areas of the buildings doing different things, at any time any part timer can be moved around or instructed to do different work. I worked loading, unloading, sort aisle, pickoff, train, etc. so if a full timer came and bumped a lower part timer than me back when I worked inside, it would be the manager's prerogative to move me around and stick the FTer where I usually worked as long as it was a junior PTer being bumped hours wise.

UPSGUY72

Most part time jobs other than load and unload should be filled by seniority based on preferred position lists. They aren't technically bid jobs, and this may vary with supplement language, but once you have qualified in a preferred position you cannot be transferred out to make room for someone else. But that only goes so far. It's not like they keep a special seniority list for when each person started in small sort etc.

If you get bump out of a "preferred" job but still keep your $1 you don't have a leg to stand on if your file. In the building I started in there where no preferred jobs everyone got the dollar and where put where they preformed there job best. No it it came down to someone getting set home it went by seniority asking the top and telling the bottom.

brown_trousers

Keep in mind part timers don't have "positions" as they are classified as WAD package handlers. While PTers are assigned to different sups and areas of the buildings doing different things, at any time any part timer can be moved around or instructed to do different work. I worked loading, unloading, sort aisle, pickoff, train, etc. so if a full timer came and bumped a lower part timer than me back when I worked inside, it would be the manager's prerogative to move me around and stick the FTer where I usually worked as long as it was a junior PTer being bumped hours wise.

Maybe its different where you are, but over here they actually post bids to sign up for sorting and pick-off positions. Those positions are bid on a list, just like a delivery route would be.

8Keys

If you get bump out of a "preferred" job but still keep your $1 you don't have a leg to stand on if your file. In the building I started in there where no preferred jobs everyone got the dollar and where put where they preformed there job best. No it it came down to someone getting set home it went by seniority asking the top and telling the bottom.
There is no financial liability, but grievances have been won. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

gorilla75jdw

that's cool , your opinion is understandable . I was pt for 13 years , but I knew the only way to get to where I wanted to be was to take the first ft job I could get at that time , so that my seniority would then allow me to bid to the job that I ultimately wanted . In the meantime , once I became ft I knew , based on past practice and common knowledge of my local , that my ft seniority trumped all pt seniority effective immediately . I guess I just fail to recognize any other scenario in which pt seniority trumps ft seniority . I do believe in the fact that no new ft combo who takes a inside/inside or any other job inside/shifter etc. etc. cannot displace or bump a pt out of assigned bid job that that pt currently has , only when a vacancy opens then the ft can be placed into the desired position that has been vacated .Hey , keep on being pt if that works for you , but me personally , I need a ft job that can pay the bills , because I know of no pt job that you can attain with no college degree that pays the mortgage and all the other bills in our society . Furthermore , maybe Im shovanistic ? , but as a man , how do I measure myself in our society that I can achieve what I want by staying pt for life , I cant . Maybe you can , and it works for you , great , but most people that I know , men anyways , have atleast 1 ft job , if not a ft job and a pt job . Economic times are tough , it is what it is .