PC drivers that started with the company in mid to late 30s

Yep, i deserve it. Double post.
rerun1.jpg

By The Book

Was happy when I got hired. But as the years pass by I find myself wondering more and more how I will make it to retirement doing this job. 25 years puts me in my early 60s. I just don't see how it would be possible. Starting to weigh on me. I am in above average shape. Ideal weight. Probably a little underweight. Decent health. I know there is always feeder. But is it even feasible to do that into your 60s? And I would imagine it would take me to my 50s to get a feeder job. Starting to worry a little how I make it 25. And the idea of feeder doesn't thrill me. Bid a cushy route once I have 12-15 years in? Would I be able to get one? Lets say I was lucky and got one. Feasible to do that into early 60s?
I'm guessing your about 37 with close to 10 years with the company. I would find out what the minimum age is that you will need to retire with no penalty. If you could retire at the rule of 80 you would need to work about 17 more years using my numbers. Something will open up that's easier when the top guys retire.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not too sure about that. We had 2 feeder drivers that went back to package only to decide feeders wasn't that bad after all.

I think you are right. The only ones I ever see come back is due to family time conflicts.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think you are right. The only ones I ever see come back is due to family time conflicts.

Even that didn't work for the last one. His wife threatened to leave him if he didn't get out of working nights. He tried going back to delivery but ended up tell her he was going to leave her if he couldn't get on feeders. He's back in feeders and they are still together----until her next blow-up.

andrsnbkj

This job does suck the way managers push numbers on you Harass you tell you your the worst driver in the building I even been told that I was fat by a center manager when I stand 6 2 weighing 275 built like Brock lesnar even been told my was pace is slow but laugh when they can't keep up with me when they go for a ride before you know it it's been 20 years in with the company

gbpackman29

This job does suck the way managers push numbers on you Harass you tell you your the worst driver in the building I even been told that I was fat by a center manager when I stand 6 2 weighing 275 built like Brock lesnar even been told my was pace is slow but laugh when they can't keep up with me when they go for a ride before you know it it's been 20 years in with the company

......more like 5 9 built like Daniel Bryan

Packmule

The job would be easier if drivers worked a 9 hour day in 10 hours instead of trying to bonus and get home as soon as they can.
I used to have those kind of hours till I finally filed 4 hours grievances in as many weeks. Been lots better last year and a half. Knock on wood. 2 years left! Max!

In my mid 30's I didn't think I could make it 30 years. While this job does wear you down, surprisingly, it also keeps you in shape. I'm now over 50 and can count on one hand how many years I have left to get to the 30 year mark. With the route I'm on, I may choose to stay several more years in order to reduce my debt more before retirement.
Slow down, pace yourself. Years ago, my local BA told me to put a penny in my shoe whenever a sup rode with me. The penny would remind me of my pace at every step. If the sup said to speed up, my response would be "this is my 30 year pace".

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Was happy when I got hired. But as the years pass by I find myself wondering more and more how I will make it to retirement doing this job. 25 years puts me in my early 60s. I just don't see how it would be possible. Starting to weigh on me. I am in above average shape. Ideal weight. Probably a little underweight. Decent health. I know there is always feeder. But is it even feasible to do that into your 60s? And I would imagine it would take me to my 50s to get a feeder job. Starting to worry a little how I make it 25. And the idea of feeder doesn't thrill me. Bid a cushy route once I have 12-15 years in? Would I be able to get one? Lets say I was lucky and got one. Feasible to do that into early 60s?
Whenever you have a chance to go feeders, go feeders. There is no reason not to. You can't do package forever. Yes there are feeder drivers who are in their 60's.