Peak 2017

oldngray

nowhere special
If you are so much brighter than me, why will I be able to retire very comfortably and you talk about the struggles of living as a single wage earner. My wife doesn't work. I must have been bright enough to make those small sacrifices in life to have a nice nest egg. Meanwhile, you criticize me and make excuses.

Why are you so obsessed with her retirement?

Future

Victory Ride
If you are so much brighter than me, why will I be able to retire very comfortably and you talk about the struggles of living as a single wage earner. My wife doesn't work. I must have been bright enough to make those small sacrifices in life to have a nice nest egg. Meanwhile, you criticize me and make excuses.
Aaaa shut up

The Youngin' Of It All

Or you could be like my building and be one of the new hubs across the country that was just recently built and have all sorts of issues from late dispatch, loaders who don't load by vision, and inexperienced management and package handlers who have absolutely zero idea what a real heavy day or peak season consists of. Our building is so understaffed in the warehouse right now it's not even funny, but don't worry if we send the loaders home early or have no resources we'll just make it your problem and if you fail we'll pull your contract they say. Please.

Oldfart

Why are you so obsessed with her retirement?
She criticizes me and calls me names. Tells me that retirement isn't a reality while making excuses as to why people can't retire. I give examples as to why her excuses are just that excuses. She then gets all defensive and makes more excuses. Just having fun with her while I sit in the airport waiting to see how many times they will delay my flight. Getting home from D.C. has proven to be tough.

bacha29

4k a month is the average price for assisted living in this area, and that if for some very nice places. This is thru Met Life I believe or Genworth. Money is taken out each paycheck and I get yearly documentation. I know Fedex no longer offers that coverage.
For an assisted living facility that's about average and if your policy will pay for an ALF that's fine but if it specify's an accredited skilled nursing facility only then the charges for one in my area run $6500-7000 per month. As everyone knows it all comes down to the specific insurance contract language.

Oldfart

For an assisted living facility that's about average and if your policy will pay for an ALF that's fine but if it specify's an accredited skilled nursing facility only then the charges for one in my area run $6500-7000 per month. As everyone knows it all comes down to the specific insurance contract language.
Guess I am glad I live in a hick town with 1 traffic light. My uncle just moved into assisted living. He is not even paying 5k a month and this place is like the Taj Mahal. That includes meals and housekeeping. It goes up when you start needing additional help in your daily life.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
She criticizes me and calls me names. Tells me that retirement isn't a reality while making excuses as to why people can't retire. I give examples as to why her excuses are just that excuses. She then gets all defensive and makes more excuses. Just having fun with her while I sit in the airport waiting to see how many times they will delay my flight. Getting home from D.C. has proven to be tough.
Waaahh! She calls me names! What names have I called you? I don't remember. Hopefully, you're stuck there a long time. I'm sure you didn't look outside your bubble to notice flights are screwed up because of the hurricane...you know, in Florida??

All I told you was that some people haven't had perfect lives like yours and we're unable to save for retirement. I also said I hope you realized you're blessed but you obviously don't believe that.

Oldfart

Waaahh! She calls me names! What names have I called you? I don't remember. Hopefully, you're stuck there a long time. I'm sure you didn't look outside your bubble to notice flights are screwed up because of the hurricane...you know, in Florida??

All I told you was that some people haven't had perfect lives like yours and we're unable to save for retirement. I also said I hope you realized you're blessed but you obviously don't believe that.
There was a hurricane? Hum. When you make plans to go to a race in Richmond 3 months ago, the weather man didn't mention there might be a hurricane. I am not even flying out till tomorrow but decided to hit the airport today to see what they can tell me about tomorrow. Lines are long and tempers are short. So far my 10 am flight tomorrow has been changed twice. Not looking forward to a long drive if my flight get cancelled.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There was a hurricane? Hum. When you make plans to go to a race in Richmond 3 months ago, the weather man didn't mention there might be a hurricane. I am not even flying out till tomorrow but decided to hit the airport today to see what they can tell me about tomorrow. Lines are long and tempers are short. So far my 10 am flight tomorrow has been changed twice. Not looking forward to a long drive if my flight get cancelled.
You're joking about the hurricane, right? Please tell me you are.

vantexan

I'm sure that you know that if you take SS at 62 you'll have a permanent 25% reduction in monthly benefit. If you postpone taking SS until 66-67 there are obviously no benefits payed. However the general rule is that you'll recover the lost benefits through the higher monthly payout if you live to age 74. If you're Type 2 diabetic why not take a shot at SSD and be done with it? Granted 74% of all first time SSD claims are denied ,you have 1 in 10 chance of being granted a reconsideration and it takes an average of 21 months just to get a hearing granted if you get one at all.Yet no one was in a greater state of shock then I was when my first application went through in just 3 months. The kind of work I did along with a 40 plus year record of paying in at least something every year plus the short time until full retirement age is what weighed heavily in my favor.
I've looked into disability. There are so many diabetics that it has to progress to a certain point before they'll consider granting SSD. I've got some things going on but not there yet. The reasoning is solid on waiting for most people, but by living overseas I literally can save every penny of the SS check and then some. Most people taking it at 62 are living on it. Problem is I took an accelerated pension that drops down to not much at 67. Either I make the most of it before then or will definitely have to stay overseas.

shadey

Am I the only one that wishes OF would STFU already?? Life has taught me many things. Among them, those that talk the most have the least. Nobody cares what you've been able to do with your life during your time at FedEx, if any of it is even accurate or true. Your "advice" on how everyone else should have lived their lives is more likely an indication of how you wish that you had lived your own. Those that have succeeded at their plan in life don't feel the need to gloat about it at every turn. They, instead, smile and keep to themselves unless asked how they were able to succeed and if they might share some of their knowledge. Thou doth protest too much

whenIgetthere

All depends on the level of care needed. My moms was about 4500/month, now 7500/month because she needs complete care due to alzheimers.

bbsam

Staff member
Or you could be like my building and be one of the new hubs across the country that was just recently built and have all sorts of issues from late dispatch, loaders who don't load by vision, and inexperienced management and package handlers who have absolutely zero idea what a real heavy day or peak season consists of. Our building is so understaffed in the warehouse right now it's not even funny, but don't worry if we send the loaders home early or have no resources we'll just make it your problem and if you fail we'll pull your contract they say. Please.
My God this sounds so familiar!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Guess I am glad I live in a hick town with 1 traffic light. My uncle just moved into assisted living. He is not even paying 5k a month and this place is like the Taj Mahal. That includes meals and housekeeping. It goes up when you start needing additional help in your daily life.
Based on your posts, I would say you're headed for a memory care unit.