Peak Dispatching: Pathetic

Nimnim

The Nim
1 driver/helper on a merged route would outperform 2 drivers on 2 routes.

I'll kinda agree if it's a good helper, if it's one that has no sense of urgency and the driver has to coddle then it's possible the driver by themselves is better. As far as having 2 drivers on 2 routes vs 1 driver with a helper the helper would have to be great for me to say they're better depending on the area they're delivering. If it's consolidated stops a great helper will be able to cover a route not put in, but if there's enough distance between stops the helper won't make the difference another driver with another route would.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'll kinda agree if it's a good helper, if it's one that has no sense of urgency and the driver has to coddle then it's possible the driver by themselves is better. As far as having 2 drivers on 2 routes vs 1 driver with a helper the helper would have to be great for me to say they're better depending on the area they're delivering. If it's consolidated stops a great helper will be able to cover a route not put in, but if there's enough distance between stops the helper won't make the difference another driver with another route would.

My post was based on the assumption of tight residential areas----if you are merging two country runs there is no helper in the world that could make that work.

oldngray

nowhere special
Unless a route has high stop density with mostly residential a helper won't make much difference. But of course the people in the office ignore reality and still demand their numbers. They insisted I take use a helper and have 30-40 stops in helper board ... which is insane when I usually only had 75-80 total stops off in 5 hours before pickups with almost all of that business. And after pickup delivering in the dark a helper won't make a big difference either when dispatch is so screwed up with stops miles apart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why even bother having to switch boards? To me its just one of those little aggravating things they make you do!

Why would you have to switch boards? Both DIADs have the same EDD. He delivers 123-127 Elm while you run off 124-128. 6 stops done from one parked position---it don't get much easier than that.

I think you people make up excuses just to get out of using a helper.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why is this stupid? How hard is it to sheet a residential?

Stupid knows no bounds with this company outside the "bubble of goodness".
The 58 yr old man they sent me as a helper last week probably struggles to set his alarm clock, let alone operate a DIAD.
With management again trying to reinvent the wheel this year by having the helper record and stop complete all deliveries themselves at the delivery point, I have become the helper for my helper and am actually realizing a lower spohr while he was on the car.
I anticipate this mandate will soon be thrown to wayside as my overallowed is approaching 3 hours daily.

The 58 yr old man they sent me as a helper last week probably struggles to set his alarm clock, let alone operate a DIAD.
With management again trying to reinvent the wheel this year by having the helper record and stop complete all deliveries themselves at the delivery point, I have become the helper for my helper and am actually realizing a lower spohr while he was on the car.
I anticipate this mandate will soon be thrown to wayside as my overallowed is approaching 3 hours daily.
UPS always looks at the wrong numbers. Stops per hour don't mean Jack Crap! Instead they should be looking at the cost per delivered package. If they gave you 11 hours worth of work and you kept your helper for 4 hours and punched out in 9 hours. They are way ahead of the game. Not this over under crap!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The best peak I ever had was when mgt did the unthinkable...they actually asked the drivers how they should set up the routes. Imagine getting splits that make sense and tie in seamlessly. Think of the possibilities of getting help at heavy pick up. Delivering after dark was the exception not the rule. Only happened once in days way before edd when the centers actually had some semblance of autonomy. Now they get their peak plan from some mysterious source from a galaxy far far away.

Indecisi0n

I normally get 185 stops with my helper. First day had 95 done by lunch and made it in by 8:30 that night no helper needed (kept helper for 6 hrs). Next day they say helper needs to use the board more and I need to drop him off. My reply "OK". Next day had 40 stops done by lunch, with 1145PM ETA. One driver had to take all my pickups off me and two more drivers to take stops plus I had helper all day. Next day they asked me to go back to doing what I did the first day.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

The vast majority of drivers in my center have (myself included) are doing things the 'Correct' way as you have described and my group is 2-4 hours Over every day. I get daily talks with both my Onroad and center manager about such as things as 'performance' and 'using the helper efficiently' yet neither have an answer to the question of'What am I doing Wrong?' i refuse to violate the methods,work unsafely or speed. Stress wise this has been my best peak ever

Back first

Why would you have to switch boards? Both DIADs have the same EDD. He delivers 123-127 Elm while you run off 124-128. 6 stops done from one parked position---it don't get much easier than that.

it is a hassle using both diads. I can work just as fast using 1 board. It is only beneficial if you are delivering business stops close to one another.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it is a hassle using both diads. I can work just as fast using 1 board. It is only beneficial if you are delivering business stops close to one another.

Why are you handling both boards? The only time you should be handling the helper board is to put their name and employee ID #. Are you sheeting for your helper?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The last time I had a helper, she was (a) totally untrained on the DIAD and (b) I had an ancient, slow and crash-prone DIAD III for her to use while I was on a IV.

Trying to talk her thru using a version of the DIAD that I had not handled in years was a complete waste of time. We were already an hour behind because in the confusion of a UPS peak season Monday morning she had been told to report to the wrong location. She had also been issued mens uniform pants that were 5 sizes too big and she was practically in tears at the though of having to wear them all day. By the time I found a bathroom for her to change in, we were even further behind. It came down to an issue of priorities; do we get the packages delivered or do we generate a meaningless metric for a meaningless report. I always vote for getting the packages delivered, but thats just me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last time I had a helper, she was (a) totally untrained on the DIAD and (b) I had an ancient, slow and crash-prone DIAD III for her to use while I was on a IV.

Trying to talk her thru using a version of the DIAD that I had not handled in years was a complete waste of time. We were already an hour behind because in the confusion of a UPS peak season Monday morning she had been told to report to the wrong location. She had also been issued mens uniform pants that were 5 sizes too big and she was practically in tears at the though of having to wear them all day. By the time I found a bathroom for her to change in, we were even further behind. It came down to an issue of priorities; do we get the packages delivered or do we generate a meaningless metric for a meaningless report. I always vote for getting the packages delivered, but thats just me.

Fair enough.

Fast forward to Dec. 2, 2013. We are using DIADs 4 and 5. Your helper shows up properly dressed, on time and ready to work. You have already downloaded EDD in to both boards. What do you do?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

And I'd be willing to bet that a lot more of us would want to use a helper if we werent constantly being harassed over our production and micromanaged over how many hours to work that helper and how many stops to put in the helper DIAD. Want us to get the packages delivered? Fine. Just give us the helper, leave us alone, STFU and get the hell out of the way.