Peak Dispatching: Pathetic

rod

Retired 22 years
One year i had a helper fall asleep in the jump seat!

Just the opposite with me. If anyone was going to relax it would be me. I'm sure its different today but I remember back when having a helper early on when you really didn't need them was more or less a license to steal. If there wasn't enough to keep two busy --guess who was going to be the lazy one. Those few days with a helper where you could stay in the truck, listen to the radio and keep half way warm were always great.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Fair enough.

Fast forward to Dec. 2, 2013. We are using DIADs 4 and 5. Your helper shows up properly dressed, on time and ready to work. You have already downloaded EDD in to both boards. What do you do?

I make the most productive decisions possible based upon the particulars of the route, the dispatch, and the relative ability and training of the helper. If the right thing to do is to turn the helper loose with her own DIAD and a bunch of stops, then that is what wil happen. If the right thing to do is to pitch the DIAD IV in the back and start rockin and rollin with one DIAD only... then that is what will happen. This is my 27th peak season with UPS and the 18th in my particular delivery area. I am a far better judge of how best to use the helper than some nitwit who drove for 6 weeks before going into management and who is only concerned with meeting a quota.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think you people make up excuses just to get out of using a helper.

And I'd be willing to bet that a lot more of us would want to use a helper if we werent constantly being harassed over our production and micromanaged over how many hours to work that helper and how many stops to put in the helper DIAD. Want us to get the packages delivered? Fine. Just give us the helper, leave us alone, STFU and get the hell out of the way.

Yep. All I'm asking is that we only use a helper when we absolutely need them and to be dispatched in a manner that allows us to actually use them effectively WITHOUT a helper board.

upschuck

Why would you have to switch boards? Both DIADs have the same EDD. He delivers 123-127 Elm while you run off 124-128. 6 stops done from one parked position---it don't get much easier than that.

I think you people make up excuses just to get out of using a helper.

And if takes the helper 3x as long to deliver those stops as you do. Why would you not sheet them up and let the helper deliver them, then you both get back to the PC approx. the same time, and off to the next stop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And if takes the helper 3x as long to deliver those stops as you do. Why would you not sheet them up and let the helper deliver them, then you both get back to the PC approx. the same time, and off to the next stop.

Let's say 123-127 Elm St are on the right hand side of the road while 124-128 are on the left. I would give the helper the deliveries nearest the pkg car while I crossed the street and ran off those stops. I would not sheet those stops as that would be a waste of his time and my time. How hard is it to teach someone to scan the package, hit the big arrow down, select delivery location and hit stop complete? I would think that we would both be back at the pkg car at about the same time; if not, he needs to work on either his sheeting or his sense of urgency.

Overpaid Union Thug

Let's say 123-127 Elm St are on the right hand side of the road while 124-128 are on the left. I would give the helper the deliveries nearest the pkg car while I crossed the street and ran off those stops. I would not sheet those stops as that would be a waste of his time and my time. How hard is it to teach someone to scan the package, hit the big arrow down, select delivery location and hit stop complete? I would think that we would both be back at the pkg car at about the same time; if not, he needs to work on either his sheeting or his sense of urgency.

I could care less about who gets back to the truck first. We aren't in a foot race. Not all deliveries are equal.

upschuck

You would think that, but someone with little experience with the DIAD takes longer than you or I. Then if he/she pushes a button by error, they then has to stop and try to figure it out, if he can't waits til you get back to truck to show him/her. You and me can walk at a brisk pace, scan our walkway while we scan the package.

Back first

Because I do not have time to train the helper on how to use the diad. How many times has your helper been stuck on the sig. Screen or can't get out of a certain screen. I bet a lot. Can you tell me why ups has us sheet 20 stops in helper board? What good is that. Give me 1 diad and I can work just as fast with out all the hassle of waiting for EDD to be removed from my diad.

upschuck

I could care less about who gets back to the truck first. We aren't in a foot race. Not all deliveries are equal.

To use a helper efficiently, I always wanted to get back slightly before the helper so I could have the next stops ready to go. He is my helper, I am not his.

SisyphUPS

You and me can walk at a brisk pace, scan our walkway while we scan the package.
Except that you do so under threat of progressive discipline up to and including termination. Packages must be scanned at the delivery point, not on the way to the delivery point. This also makes pre-recording verboten. As soon as UPS is willing to issue a retraction of this threat in their delivery scan training, I will go back to being an efficient and productive employee.

Indecisi0n

Teaching someone how to use the DIAD is one thing. Teaching someone how to use the Diad while also performing all of our methods is another. Id rather scan the package and have the helper focus on correctly walking and scanning his walk path as to not get hurt than use the Diad. Chances are he won't be here after January anyway so why train him to become a Diad expert?

Bostonian

It is amazing to me to see how the mistakes made here in Boston that cause such waste and inefficiency are universal through the country. Those who micro manage us from Atlanta are too far removed to sit down and see what does and does not make sense. I think we are all grateful to have good paying jobs and no one reading this is a stranger to very hard work. I think we all want to be SUCCESSFUL in our jobs by getting the packages delivered and the pickups made. Some insane policy to make numbers look good usually defeats the purpose. Set us up for success, not failure.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Don't get me started on helper boards. Unless the helper is actually using it, they become just another thing we have to battle through at peak. If the helper is to use the board it means I have to train him. When will I time for that? And now they are using DIAD 4 here for helpers. With him having to master the toggle key, is there any possible scenario where he would pick it up after a few hours? It took me months to get used to the toggle key and my helper is expected to do it for 4 weeks? Not likely.
I don't like the helper boards because it wastes precious time. How many times have I set the board up for him and send him into a business for the signature and he's gone for 10 minutes because he gets stuck with the DIAD on something and can't figure out that he should just come back and ask me quickly? It happens every year with every helper.
BUT, we need a certain # of stops in the helper board (no matter who records them) to make someone make their numbers. What a joke.
Please, just give me 1 DIAD , 1 good helper and 1 good preloader and I will do a mighty fine job for you. Just don't give me a helper board. I don't need it and my helper doesn't need it because he doesn't know how to use it and never will in time for santa claus.

I agree that drivers putting stops in helper boards for the purpose of falsifying a report is stupid. In fact, I'll go a step further. I think drivers should be disciplined for sheeting packages with a helper board. It's dishonest.

I agree that drivers putting stops in helper boards for the purpose of falsifying a report is stupid. In fact, I'll go a step further. I think drivers should be disciplined for sheeting packages with a helper board. It's dishonest.

Maybe UPS s hould spend $12 bucks and train these helpers to use the DIAD. I should expect a stupid answer like that from management. Did you come up with that , all by yourself?? Or did you make a conference call??

Indecisi0n

Lol if they ever tried this then I would hand the helper the board, drop him off with 40 stops on a handcart and say "if there are any question call my sup at xxxxx(sups cell phone number), bye". I am here to deliver not train.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe UPS s hould spend $12 bucks and train these helpers to use the DIAD. I should expect a stupid answer like that from management. Did you come up with that , all by yourself?? Or did you make a conference call??

How is this a stupid answer? He was honest----he feels that the metric is absurd and that drivers who sheet packages with the helper boards just to meet the metric should be disciplined. The helper board is just that---it is for the helper. I do disagree with disciplining the driver for working as directed.

It's really not that hard to teach your helper how to sheet residentials and it should not be a problem for the helper to have at least 30 stops in his board. Last Peak there were days when we had more stops in the helper board than in mine.