peak .. night delivery

Coldworld

60 months and counting
10 degrees out on Christmas Eve ,, 9pm and knock on this Griswalds door ,, he comes to door in ugly sweater and an apron and says "keepin Yah busy " ??
God I wanted to slap him and his whole Norman Rockwell family !!!
Lol. It's all part of the job!!
Some people really have no clue... That clown probably had no common sense either....if a driver came to my door that late I would acknowledge him/her for being out there and if I was eating Christmas dinner would make them a plate of food to go....

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
This is just the company taking advantage if its employees...totally unacceptable no need for this ever
No matter what anyone says ....hire another damn driver
in my time here ive never even heard of a driver out till 1 am, if he is telling the truth god bless him

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
So you don't like following the methods or you work for FedEx or USPS.
Not sure what you're getting at but we've never been instructed to knock or ring doorbells here. If you're referring to time taken, even the latest of our latest is still back by around 8:30, 8:45 at the very latest. I guess if I ever feel like my dispatch sucks I should just think about you guys on here who apparently are regularly out after 10 or 11.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It was Christmas Eve. The rules go out the window on Christmas Eve.
But at what cost? Why subject yourself to that? Never would I put my well-being and sanity on the line for someone else' piss poor planning. If their Christmas is "ruined" as a result, they'll have 364 days to try something better next time. Tough luck because I'll still sleep like a log as soon as I'm home.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not sure what you're getting at but we've never been instructed to knock or ring doorbells here.

Must be something new they DON'T teach then. When approaching a delivery you are supposed to tap your horn. Announce "UPS" and then knock/ring bell. Walk back to truck and proceed on to next stop.
I don't lose any time doing that. It's all done in one movement if done properly. It's how I was trained almost 20 years ago.
I'd rather knock and disturb customer to have the stuff get inside instead of taking the chance that it will sit out there and not be seen by the customer till the next day or grow legs and get up and walk away.

10 point

I had every driver's nightmare one Christmas Eve about 35 years ago. If it looked like a Christmas gift, we had to make an attempt on it. The latter part of my day, I found it, wrapped in brown paper (they allowed it back then) hand lettered to Grandma, no less. Not only was it out of my area, but it was even past our building's boundary. We usually all carried key maps back then. (a book sized map that had every street in the city of Houston, and even the county on the fringes. Looked it up. There was the street. It was in Porter, TX., way back in the boonies. It was probably a 40 minute drive one way for my helper and myself. Got to the house around 10:30pm, and it looked like a light was on inside. Had a fence around the yard and I was kinda leery about going up to a house in the middle of nowhere at that hour. I wasn't going back with this package, however. Signatures were required back then. I honked the horn once, then again, longer. Finally a porch light came on and a little old lady came out about and she looked to be about 80 years old. She got to the PC and I showed her the box. It was from her grandchildren. She said she thought they had forgotten about her. She started crying. I got her to sign, turned around and drove back to the center. I have to admit My helper and I both had something in our eyes. Must have been the dust from that old dirt road. lol. I punched out a little before midnight, and everybody was gone from the center when I got back. You know, it was worth it to me to see that little old lady's eyes light up. Sorry for the long post.
I remember a past pkg car steward tell me that Christmas eve had really bad weather one year and we couldn't get all the pkgs delivered so the guys rented a hotel room, took every pkg that looked like it cld be a gift there, and called the consignees so they cld come there (to their new will call room!) and get their pkgs that night.

After hearing your story and relating it to today's experience I only see one response coming thru the screen...
Sheet it Missed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I remember a past pkg car steward tell me that Christmas eve had really bad weather one year and we couldn't get all the pkgs delivered so the guys rented a hotel room, took every pkg that looked like it cld be a gift there, and called the consignees so they cld come there (to their new will call room!) and get their pkgs that night.

After hearing your story and relating it to today's experience I only see one response coming thru the screen...
Sheet it Missed.

So rather than driving in bad weather they asked the consignees to do the same?

9.5 everyday

i remember my going to a specific house at peak in 2013. christmas eve around 830 and i could see in the window of the house, as i was shivering and hating my life, a fine family gathering and large hot meal being consumed. that house broke my spirits like you wouldnt beleive.............i left there stuff without knocking at all hoping that my truck in there driveway was evidence enough of my arrival
Were you looking in on Bob Cratchit and tiny Tim?? [emoji23]

10 point

I get it and can appreciate the gesture.

I have to wonder what could have happened had one of the consignee's gotten in to a wreck driving to the Access Point.
They'd pay their deductible if they were at fault.

Every Christmas I still feel responsible to get people's deliveries done in time. I hate letting down the folks that trust in us. That's what ups people do...

regardless of the stock price.
I hope that sentiment is passed on down to the future drivers because once we give up going the extra mile we dilute the name, brand, and become overpriced.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They'd pay their deductible if they were at fault.

Every Christmas I still feel responsible to get people's deliveries done in time. I hate letting down the folks that trust in us. That's what ups people do...

regardless of the stock price.
I hope that sentiment is passed on down to the future drivers because once we give up going the extra mile we dilute the name, brand, and become overpriced.

I am sure that you remember when they used to empty out the "look up" room, put all of those packages on the belt and ask the bid drivers to take the ones for their areas and to do all that they could to get rid of the "Christmas looking" ones.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Absolutely. I miss those days.

Me too.

I go through the lookups every morning. There was one in there for a ski shop in Lake Placid. The shipper had used their old street number so our driver (cover) brought it back as NSN even though he drove right by the stop. I gave it to our PDS who directed the driver to deliver it.