Peak Panic is setting in...

haller

Come on! I thought those were practically the methods! Driver scans with the DIAD and points. Helper runs to deliver package. Driver moves car up 100 feet. Helper runs back to car out of breath. Driver scans another package and points. Repeat.

My driver's actually showing me how to DIAD. Those long driveways though sheesh.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Come on! I thought those were practically the methods! Driver scans with the DIAD and points. Helper runs to deliver package. Driver moves car up 100 feet. Helper runs back to car out of breath. Driver scans another package and points. Repeat.
I learned a long time ago, the faster you move one day just buys you more stops the next one.
Safe work methods instruct us NOT to run. I will usually deliver the first 5 stops and tell my helper to watch my pace and that is all I expect likewise from him/her. If they want to run they need to find another driver.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
...and its hilarious.

Our center manager this morning was practically begging us to find peak season helpers.

Our manager claims that they need 47 helpers, and that they only have 6 at the moment.

Sucks when you try to pay people a pittance and then there's Amazon ready to pay you more to be your own boss, doesn't it UPS?

I cant wait to max out of hours by 1 PM Friday.
You are right. Pay and they will come.

I'm in an extended center and every year they try to get our preloaders to both jump and preload. I don't care how young and/or good of shape you're in, the body breaks down.

The body is not suppose to break down. The body is not built that way. The person is burning a ton of calories and not replacing the calories adequately. I'm not talking just electrolytes.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
OP where are you located? For our center in the Bay Area we never have a problem getting helpers. Poor guys always ready to work and so optimistic about being kept as an inside employee. I tell them from day one, if you want a chance at staying on part time, get a job in the warehouse. This helper stuff is temporary.

The real lucky folks are the people who they allow to be helpers in the first weeks of January, since they get paid top driver rate. I think it's pretty ridiculous how a helper in January can be getting paid more than a driver still in progression, even it is just for a short time.

Anyhow, I noticed this year that a few drivers started asking all the better looking female preloaders early on in the beginning of November if they wanted to be a helper. Lol those sneaky bastards.

Indecisi0n

they started helpers last week, today was the first time I've seen the safety vest..

One driver told me about the helper given to him today... 300# female

driver was worried about the jump seat
I don't allow my helper to sit. He stands in front of the jump seat with the seat belt across him.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
OP where are you located? For our center in the Bay Area we never have a problem getting helpers.

NYC metropolitan area.

This is the first season we're really having a hard time attracting rented mules helpers.

My building alone competes for personnel with 2 FEDEX facilities, a small regional carrier that Amazon subcontracts, and an actual Amazon delivery.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't allow my helper to sit. He stands in front of the jump seat with the seat belt across him.
Just stick him on the hood ....the first things I tell the helper is not to run and when I stop the car to unbuckle and use the handrail and step out to wait for the package...then when you get into the car grab the handrail and sit down and bucket even if I'm still in the back taking a piss or messing with packages. For whatever reason they always want to come back into the cargo area... Hell no. I don't make it complicated just do those few things...I don't test them on what side of the street the evens are on like upstate does... Lmao really, they make 10 bucks don't overcomplicate things!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I use the first day to gauge their ability and go from there. If they are not that bright I stick to the basics but if I sense they can handle it I give them more responsibilities.

The Milkman

T
I use the first day to gauge their ability and go from there. If they are not that bright I stick to the basics but if I sense they can handle it I give them more responsibilities.
The sad part is if you get a decent helper the 1st day, many times after a few days he or she becomes a no show. The real problem is that when helpers came into being at least back in the 80's, the wage was fair at the time, but when the promises of 6 hours daily work and some days not needed the word got around over the years and many college aged kids dare not apply after hearing the horror stories of how UPS spoke with a forked tongue