Peak Panic is setting in...

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't allow my helper to sit. He stands in front of the jump seat with the seat belt across him.

We had a couple of trucks where the helper was the last thing loaded into the BACK of the truck. They expected them to pre-sheet the big dump stops that were always loaded in the back. Some days there was barely enough room to squeeze him in.

watdaflock?

I'm in an extended center and every year they try to get our preloaders to both jump and preload. I don't care how young and/or good of shape you're in, the body breaks down.
That is true. Everyone ages except supposedly that one fella who was born from a virgin long ago.

Doing preload for five or so hours and then jumping for another few hours is not going to break you down completely, especially since it's only for one month out of the year. Somebody new may be sore for a short time doing both preload and jumping but that's most likely because of their lack of exercise in the first place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

T

The sad part is if you get a decent helper the 1st day, many times after a few days he or she becomes a no show. The real problem is that when helpers came into being at least back in the 80's, the wage was fair at the time, but when the promises of 6 hours daily work and some days not needed the word got around over the years and many college aged kids dare not apply after hearing the horror stories of how UPS spoke with a forked tongue

I supplement their wages with gas money and a weekly tip.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They pay pretty good here, but they lose them because they only get used 1.99 or 2.99 hours. Atlanta's metrics are destroying this place.

What seasonal employee is going to sit by the phone everyday so he can get 2.99 hours ??
Screw that. They should go stock shelves or fold sweaters for a 1/10th of the physicality and twice the hours and paycheck.

UPS has screwed the helper position because they believe these people need the job so bad.
They'll do anything because they feel they will have a better chance to be employed after the holidays, which 99.99% never happens.
We always lose the good ones early because they get sick of the games and the low pay. I feel bad for them.

I do my part in taking care of my helper by getting drinks or coffee for him/her before we hit the road.

onehandsolo

The economy has improved to the point that UPS will struggle finding people to work for 10.50 an hour.

I also heard that they r having a hard time finding people to go into full time management.

Box Ox

Driver was telling me tonight that at the morning PCM they were told they need 55 driver helpers and currently have 3.

My center is a little bit better at about 10% of the helpers we need. Word is out that it's a terrible deal. Kinda torn because I wouldn't recommend it to anybody yet those 300+ stops would suuuuck without one.

The economy has improved to the point that UPS will struggle finding people to work for 10.50 an hour.

My location is tacking on $2/hr as an emergency measure. Sigh.

My center is a little bit better at about 10% of the helpers we need. Word is out that it's a terrible deal. Kinda torn because I wouldn't recommend it to anybody yet those 300+ stops would suuuuck without one.

My location is tacking on $2/hr as an emergency measure. Sigh.
The helpers in my building make $15/hr.

km3

Impressive. $10.50 where I am if there's no desperation bump.

They would pay helpers $10 or $11 if they could get away with it. The (central) supplement says helpers are to make 80% of starting driver pay. Then again, if the company decided to ignore that part of the contract as they do with so many others, who's gonna stop them? Seasonal employees with no union rights? I guess in theory they could get away with it...

My first job with UPS was driver helper. $8.50/hour no tips. I'll hit 80k this year. Not sure why you're tipping them, if they want it bad enough they can get it for themselves.
If you are lucky enough to get a good helper it is well worth it to you to buy him or her lunch and want to make sure your helper shows up the next day. You may well say that is UPS's responsibility but you already know the answer to that. Besides, how hard is it to be nice and pay a couple dollars for someone earning 1/3 what you earn in an hour.