Pension Question for past employment

HikerGuy

Hello all. I have a question about my UPS pension.

I worked at UPS from 2005 to 2013 when I decided to quit and go hike the Appalachian Trail (which was totally worth it). Before I quit, I asked HR at the Louisville Hub if I had a pension, which they replied with a yes since I had worked there longer than 5 years, "vesting" me into it. Anyways, I am trying to find out information on how to view my pension information as well as maybe going ahead and cashing it out. I have had personal event happen in my life and need to gather funds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I dont sound like a daft baffoon in asking these questions. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

upschuck

I believe no cash outs, but don't know for sure. Call your local union hall for the number for the pension fund to know for sure. It won't be a lot, either way, though.

rod

Retired 22 years
So you worked 9 years at UPS and quit to hike the trail? All I can say is --WOW. I want some of what you were smoking back then. Why didn't you just do it a little bit at a time while on vacations? I have some friends who are paddling down the whole length of the Mississippi in kayaks. They do about 300 miles a summer/fall and haven't missed a day of work. So far they have gone from the headwaters in Mn. to St. Louis. Sorry---in your case you will not be able to get any pension payout until you are 65 and that may have increased to 67 and a half by now.

HikerGuy

So you worked 9 years at UPS and quit to hike the trail? All I can say is --WOW. I want some of what you were smoking back then. Why didn't you just do it a little bit at a time while on vacations? I have some friends who are paddling down the whole length of the Mississippi in kayaks. They do about 300 miles a summer/fall and haven't missed a day of work. So far they have gone from the headwaters in Mn. to St. Louis. Sorry---in your case you will not be able to get any pension payout until you are 65 and that may have increased to 67 and a half by now.

Because section hiking is for old men, and it was always a dream of mine. Besides, I didn't plan on working at UPS my whole life. And yes, you'd die for what I've been smoking.

Thanks for the information everyone.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
And sorry Bottomsup, no one hiking uses their real name so I'm unsure.
He looks like this.
th (1).jpg

Probably had his mistress along.

UPSGUY72

Hello all. I have a question about my UPS pension.

I worked at UPS from 2005 to 2013 when I decided to quit and go hike the Appalachian Trail (which was totally worth it). Before I quit, I asked HR at the Louisville Hub if I had a pension, which they replied with a yes since I had worked there longer than 5 years, "vesting" me into it. Anyways, I am trying to find out information on how to view my pension information as well as maybe going ahead and cashing it out. I have had personal event happen in my life and need to gather funds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I dont sound like a daft baffoon in asking these questions. Thank you in advance!

First of all you can't cash out you pension.

Also only working for UPS for 8 or 9 years and most of it if not all as a Ptimer is going to mean you not going to get much as depending on how many hows you worked each year will also have a impact on how much you going to get when you hit 65 or 67.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
best friend quit at 16 years (4 pt 12 ft) his pension check will be $289.00 when he turns 65. He says it will be his monthly beer allotment in retirement

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I believe no cash outs, but don't know for sure. Call your local union hall for the number for the pension fund to know for sure. It won't be a lot, either way, though.

partially vested like that you wouldn't get much and I think you have to wait until you are 65.

Also only working for UPS for 8 or 9 years and most of it if not all as a Ptimer is going to mean you not going to get much as depending on how many hows you worked each year will also have a impact on how much you going to get when you hit 65 or 67.
Would he still not get whatever money he put in if he were to resign. They cannot hold his money hostage however, he might not get UPS' contribution portion but he will still be entitled to what he put in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually, you can----I believe the amount has to be $5K or less.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I thought for sure I read somewhere that if your pension fund balance is $5K or less you can take that balance in full.

You are talking about 401k's.

50% or $50,000. whichever Is less.
Dave, yes 401k. Ok so I just checked and for hardship you can take the whole amount like you said. I've, I am looking at the loan section and you are right, 50% but I cannot find the fixed dollar amount.

Dave, yes 401k. Ok so I just checked and for hardship you can take the whole amount like you said. I've, I am looking at the loan section and you are right, 50% but I cannot find the fixed dollar amount.
$50,000 Is the max. But It can not be over 50% of your account balance.

example . if you have 200k you can borrow 50k. if you have 40k,you can only borrow 20k. IRS rules,not UPS.