Pickup routes consolidated

It will be fine

I'm not gloating but you laughed and made fun of me when I told you 4 years that the terms and returns you were getting at the time was as good as it was going to get and it was time to look for the exit ramp. Speculators at the time were climbing over top of one another to get at a FDX contract and paying insane prices to get one.
Today there are routes all over the place at prices now well below the old threshold of a years dollar volume.
And the kid I sold my contract to at a help him out prices and financed for him at the lowest interest rate allowed by law at the time and a storage vault full of tool supplies and extra hand carts?

Last week....he threw in the towel. In fact he had given up a year ago and his dad ran it for him until he found somebody to take it off their hands.
So you suckered him to buy a bad asset that he couldn’t operate for a profit. You are delusional enough to claim you helped him though.

I find it hard to believe FedEx will keep settlements this low forever. At some point they have to get returns for contractors back in line with reasonable expectations to keep the model going.

bacha29

So you suckered him to buy a bad asset that he couldn’t operate for a profit. You are delusional enough to claim you helped him though.

I find it hard to believe FedEx will keep settlements this low forever. At some point they have to get returns for contractors back in line with reasonable expectations to keep the model going.
Good route or bad route he needed to get to scale quickly with the minimum required number of routes despite the fact that overall thanks to the economic conditions of the area served there were more bad routes than good ones. But overall I put Tony in a position to succeed. However thanks to the rate cutting along with additional economic constraints and overall deteriorating operating terms similar to the ones you're crying about he too went below the Mendoza Line which by your own admission appears to be the place you're headed for as well.

Mutineer

Good route or bad route he needed to get to scale quickly with the minimum required number of routes

That's exactly the pickle some (if not most) contractors found themselves in.

They had to take over profit-sucking turd routes just to stay compliant with the capricious and never-ending demands of FedEx.

PoirotAtUPS

Turns out they are cutting more routes and hours at my station, I don't understand their logic =

We are extremely short staffed and always heavy in the PM.

I imagine this will only cause more employees to quit right before peak ,

If we even have a peak lol

Maybe they will start doing the ground thing after peak? Or is it just one big bluff to make Raj look good?
Seriously- have you considered UPS with Union benefits?

Mutineer

Seriously- have you considered UPS with Union benefits?

I can say from my own experience, and the experiences of others I have known, getting hired at UPS requires the knowledge of a secret handshake or an "in" with somebody who works there.

Other folks say that UPS will roll out a red carpet for any ordinary idiot who bothers to apply.

I believe people's experiences in getting hired at UPS varies greatly by region.

yadig

You were upset that the government isn’t regulating the wages of drivers. If the wages aren’t enough to keep workers, they’ll have to increase.

As it is, I still don’t have a problem getting applicants. Their quality is definitely going down but they can still pass background checks and drug tests. They just don’t last very long because they’re idiots that I have to fire within a few months. It’s not really upsetting me though, if FedEx wants better drivers they’ll have to pay for them. They don’t seem to care though.
Glad to see that you’re finally coming around

SFFX

LOL Do you have Stockholm syndrome? Ask any express employee about pay and the game fedex plays. They will never give
contractors more, they dont care if you fail they believe there is another sucker right around the corner. Its the whole purpose of contractors....dump expenses and liabilities on someone else. This model is not one that will work in the future economic system.

Mutineer

This model is not one that will work in the future economic system.

From the perspective of maximizing profits I think it'll work fantastic. Raj, with his third-world mentality of disposable labor thinks so too.

I think that your package being delivered in a not so timely manner by a tatted and pierced parolee who drove over your lawn, ogled your wife, and cased your property is well on it's way to becoming the new normal.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Not really. If my wages for drivers gets above 50% of my revenue I can’t cover my other costs. The last few years my other costs continue to rise while my contracts get cut by FedEx lowering revenue. There isn’t a realistic option to pay higher wages with declining revenue. It’s a choice made by FedEx to lower contractor revenue to not keep up with inflation. I don’t really care if my workers provide bad service as a result of that choice.
The really isn't a good forum for greedy employers to make excuses for paying chump wages to their employees. There are plenty of Ground contractors who manage to pay somewhat competitive wages and hire decent employees.

Have you considered asking them how they run their businesses? They seem to do a pretty good job of it.

PoirotAtUPS

Not really. If my wages for drivers gets above 50% of my revenue I can’t cover my other costs. The last few years my other costs continue to rise while my contracts get cut by FedEx lowering revenue. There isn’t a realistic option to pay higher wages with declining revenue. It’s a choice made by FedEx to lower contractor revenue to not keep up with inflation. I don’t really care if my workers provide bad service as a result of that choice.
WOW - not sure what kind of response you expected outside some kind of Murdoch/Fox News supported shill site. I read a few of your posts and I feel for those who work for you.

You’ll find this site is mostly hourly workers working their @$$s off to survive. UPS management is on here as well but you be surprised to learn how many of them are pro-worker and pro-union. I know of NO UPS management so delusional as to think of “Union Breaking”.

Instead many of them worked in the center and/or drove and know what the jobs really entail. They have to tow the company line but most respect their teams more than they can show. They fully know who carried us through the pandemic. Hell UPS service improved during the pandemic and the time to pay up just came due - 2,500 were cut from management to pay for this contract.

If you don’t find a way to pass those costs back to FedEx to pay a “living wage” - you’re doomed to fail.

It will be fine

The really isn't a good forum for greedy employers to make excuses for paying chump wages to their employees. There are plenty of Ground contractors who manage to pay somewhat competitive wages and hire decent employees.

Have you considered asking them how they run their businesses? They seem to do a pretty good job of it.
That hasn’t been true for years now. All contracts have been cut. All driver wages have failed to keep up with inflation. You can try to make this personal but that doesn’t change reality.

bacha29

That hasn’t been true for years now. All contracts have been cut. All driver wages have failed to keep up with inflation. You can try to make this personal but that doesn’t change reality.
Here's what it's coming down to..... Any buyer is not buying the FDX contract. All that amounts to is a bunch of worn out or nearly worn out trucks and a unilaterally drafted and implement one year contract.

What they buyer is buying however are the profits. Now if the profits are headed south and there's no sign of a reversal then you're at the "take it off your hands" price level,

yadig

Otay! Lmaof!!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The reality is that you're blaming your customer for your failure to decently compensate your employees.

As I said, there are contractors who aren't cheap with their help.