Pictures from the old days?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kingOFchester, Mar 30, 2013.

1. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

From time to time, I have seen posts about the old trucks, old uniforms and such. Would love to see some pictures if anyone cares to share.

2. Why are you posting a picture of my package car?
  3. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Early in my career (1988) I actually drove one of those. It was a 1957 model p-400. It didnt even have reverse lights, and if you so much as touched the brake pedal on wet pavement or snow, the left rear tire would lock up. There was no fiberglass roof in the package compartment to let light in, just a pair of tiny glass "porthole" windows in the roof covered with screens. It didnt have a light in the back either, so if it was dark out you had to use a flashlight to see the packages. Low backed bench seat; lap belt only; high step; manual steering; 4 speed manual with a granny low 1st gear and an underpowered I-6 carbuerated engine; plywood shelves and BH door. You could not design a worse vehicle to deliver packages out of if you tried.
  4. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

DIAD 1
  5. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

6. porkwagon

porkwagon Active Member

Me too. I had the pleasure early in my career here in '88. Bulkhead had a padlock, engine took up much of the cab. They painted it yellow shortly after and automotive used it as a shop truck.
  7. Funfact

We even had electric cars way back in the day.

8. Funfact

truck.jpg truck2.jpg
    Lasted edited by : Jan 18, 2015

OVERBOARD Active Member

OVERBOARD Active Member

11. DS

DS Fenderbender

This is a bike that was owned by the company that evolved into ups.
  12. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

There was one of these tricycles in the Aliso building years ago. Don't know what they used it for.
    Adult Tricycle

OVERBOARD Active Member

Back in the day we could get raincoats and sweaters

14. East coast navy

East coast navy Veteran

we have one in my bldg too. It's used by the maintenance mechanic.
  15. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

Look at the smile on that dashing young lad's face. Definitely not an employee. Prolly seen a package or two though.
  16. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

Safe Driving Honor Plan...Jesus, was that from the 50's?
  17. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I wish we still used those. They were in circulation when I started driving in 96. So easy and simple, especially for the customer. The worst ones we had were the bilingual ones. Bad enough when they cram so much info on the ones now but the bilingual ones were an inch taller and crammed with all the info TWICE!! Sucked!!
  18. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

I miss the older ingenious logo instead of the newer boring one.
  19. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

20. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

I'd rock that low rider any day.