Pilot strike

Artee

Pilots better watch it. FDX doesn't need them as bad as they think. We have already been told at the RT to expect a lot more trucking of freight. Its going to pick up in the next few years. Pilots have already been told to start applying for other airlines. One of our ramp guys has been flying for years and is now rated for 737's. FDX has told him to stop applying for two years as there is an abundance of pilots and not enough work. He would be better off getting on with West Air and flying feeders. Our director mentioned a few weeks ago that for the first time FDX has the upper hand with the pilots. They are going to needs us more than we need them.

fatboy33

Pilots better watch it. FDX doesn't need them as bad as they think. We have already been told at the RT to expect a lot more trucking of freight. Its going to pick up in the next few years. Pilots have already been told to start applying for other airlines. One of our ramp guys has been flying for years and is now rated for 737's. FDX has told him to stop applying for two years as there is an abundance of pilots and not enough work. He would be better off getting on with West Air and flying feeders. Our director mentioned a few weeks ago that for the first time FDX has the upper hand with the pilots. They are going to needs us more than we need them.
And the same way the company has implemented cheaper ground drivers to cut costs where there are expensive express employees, I'm sure the company is looking to scout the workforce in S.E.A. for pilot, like ground, willing to work for half the price. Capitalism doesn't care about people, only profits.

MAKAVELI

That's the old man playing hard ball. He'll always need the pilots as long as there is air service. Not enough RTD to move the freight that goes on planes. RTD can't move Freight overnight from coast to coast. I believe this will come down to a last minute bluff and fold on the FedEx side.

Artee

That's the old man playing hard ball. He'll always need the pilots as long as there is air service. Not enough RTD to move the freight that goes on planes. RTD can't move Freight overnight from coast to coast. I believe this will come down to a last minute bluff and fold on the FedEx side.
Its not only Express RTD, but we are FDX One now. Ground, Freight and Express truck drivers will be working cross platform. FDX knows its cheaper to truck the freight rather than fly it and its all about saving the billions right now.

MAKAVELI

Its not only Express RTD, but we are FDX One now. Ground, Freight and Express truck drivers will be working cross platform. FDX knows its cheaper to truck the freight rather than fly it and its all about saving the billions right now.
Still can't truck the freight overnight from coast to coast. Still not enough trucks to take the place of the planes.

Artee

Still can't truck the freight overnight from coast to coast. Still not enough trucks to take the place of the planes.
What are you talking about? The planes are half full nowdays. Even the mail freight is down 50%. FDX is not getting rid of all planes. But we certainly don't need all the planes and pilots we have moving forward. A vast majority of people and companies are not shipping overnight anymore. Overnight shipping is a shrinking segment of the FDX business model. You give a company like UPS or FDX 3-5 days to move a package by truck and you might be surprised the large swath of the country that can be covered.

MAKAVELI

What are you talking about? The planes are half full nowdays. Even the mail freight is down 50%. FDX is not getting rid of all planes. But we certainly don't need all the planes and pilots we have moving forward. A vast majority of people and companies are not shipping overnight anymore. Overnight shipping is a shrinking segment of the FDX business model. You give a company like UPS or FDX 3-5 days to move a package by truck and you might be surprised the large swath of the country that can be covered.
They don't need them until they do. Don't know how long you've been with FedEx but it's always been cyclical. Talk to any pilot and they'll tell you the whole airline industry is constantly in cycles of high and low demand. Obviously combining the networks will lower the need for as many flights but still needed as a major part of the entire network. What is FedEx going to do for peak? Hire temporary pilots and lease planes? While I do think most of the pilots are very well compensated, they at least deserve the same package as UPS pilots.

FedupExpress

They don't need them until they do. Don't know how long you've been with FedEx but it's always been cyclical. Talk to any pilot and they'll tell you the whole airline industry is constantly in cycles of high and low demand. Obviously combining the networks will lower the need for as many flights but still needed as a major part of the entire network. What is FedEx going to do for peak? Hire temporary pilots and lease planes? While I do think most of the pilots are very well compensated, they at least deserve the same package as UPS pilots.
As far as I know there hasn't been a peak in years and the entire country is on the verge of collapse... We don't need the extra planes nor the overnight package

And besides hospital and a few important business purposes = part time routes

First overnight is seconds from being scrapped as well.

MAKAVELI

As far as I know there hasn't been a peak in years and the entire country is on the verge of collapse... We don't need the extra planes nor the overnight package

And besides hospital and a few important business purposes = part time routes

First overnight is seconds from being scrapped as well.
I guess that depends where you are. Most metro and heavy business areas most definitely do need overnight. Company is not going to have enough part time workers to cover all priority del and pu. It's funny that you believe Ground drivers will do essentially what a UPS driver does for less than half the pay and zero benefits.🤣

yadig

I guess that depends where you are. Most metro and heavy business areas most definitely do need overnight. Company is not going to have enough part time workers to cover all priority del and pu. It's funny that you believe Ground drivers will do essentially what a UPS driver does for less than half the pay and zero benefits.🤣
It’s starting to unfortunately look that way.

Artee

I have been with Express for over 30+ years. Its as slow as I have ever seen it. Express is dying. Its going to go back to what is was in the 70's. A niche service. Ground is doing all the heavy lifting and thats where FDX is dumping their money. Not Express. Who is taking over? Ground or Express? Here is a little hint. They don't call it Ground because it flys on an airplane.

MAKAVELI

I have been with Express for over 30+ years. Its as slow as I have ever seen it. Express is dying. Its going to go back to what is was in the 70's. A niche service. Ground is doing all the heavy lifting and thats where FDX is dumping their money. Not Express. Who is taking over? Ground or Express? Here is a little hint. They don't call it Ground because it flys on an airplane.
The contractor model is dying. More lawsuits coming making the contractors and drivers defacto employees. The only proven way to run a combined network of this size is by an all employee workforce it's being done in AK HI and Canada and eventually the lower 48. .

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Total revenue for fiscal year 2023 was $90.2B. Of that, FedEx Express earned $42.7B, which was 47% of the total. FedEx Ground earned $33.5B, which was 37% of the total. FedEx Freight earned $9.6B, which was 11% of the total.