Pilot strike

yadig

FedupExpress

I guess that depends where you are. Most metro and heavy business areas most definitely do need overnight. Company is not going to have enough part time workers to cover all priority del and pu. It's funny that you believe Ground drivers will do essentially what a UPS driver does for less than half the pay and zero benefits.🤣
They already already doing it lol I'm at the 2nd largest station in the country and if it's happening here it will happen wherever you are

MAKAVELI

And what station is that?
fcd5ace90b931065ef297e73bfae6b97.gif

dudebro

Still can't truck the freight overnight from coast to coast. Still not enough trucks to take the place of the planes.
Hardly anyone needs to. Everybody has a distribution center near the population they serve so they don't need to pay the air premium except in unique cases.

MAKAVELI

Hardly anyone needs to. Everybody has a distribution center near the population they serve so they don't need to pay the air premium except in unique cases.
That's funny, I I still see a lot hardly any one needs to air pkgs. You're UPS anyway, so yeah hardly anyone needs to use your air service.

Last edited:

Artee

The contractor model is dying. More lawsuits coming making the contractors and drivers defacto employees. The only proven way to run a combined network of this size is by an all employee workforce it's being done in AK HI and Canada and eventually the lower 48. .
Depending of how things go over the next 5 years, I could see FDX using an employee only model in the next 10 years. But the majority of freight is never going to go back and put on an airplane, even if it goes to an employee only model. The average daily volume for Express has been shrinking the last few years, while Grounds has been increasing.

MAKAVELI

Depending of how things go over the next 5 years, I could see FDX using an employee only model in the next 10 years. But the majority of freight is never going to go back and put on an airplane, even if it goes to an employee only model. The average daily volume for Express has been shrinking the last few years, while Grounds has been increasing.
I never stated that the majority of pkgs would go on a plane. Bottom line is you simply can't offer Express Services without using planes. Regardless of actual volume numbers of both, the face of FedEx has been and always will be Express. To kill off Express by handing it over to contractors would be the death of the company.

Artee

Total revenue for fiscal year 2023 was $90.2B. Of that, FedEx Express earned $42.7B, which was 47% of the total. FedEx Ground earned $33.5B, which was 37% of the total. FedEx Freight earned $9.6B, which was 11% of the total.
Yet out of the three, Ground and Freight were able to increase revenue year over year.

MAKAVELI

Yet out of the three, Ground and Freight were able to increase revenue year over year.
Yet out of the three Express was the largest revenue source. 4Z is a small % of Express volume and limited in coverage to make service. Inject pkgs are still flown on planes to make service. FedEx will always need planes and will need employees to be viable long term.

Artee

I never stated that the majority of pkgs would go on a plane. Bottom line is you simply can't offer Express Services without using planes. Regardless of actual volume numbers of both, the face of FedEx has been and always will be Express. To kill off Express by handing it over to contractors would be the death of the company.
Express is dead. You just have not caught a whiff of the rotting corpse yet. I get to two new "legacy" stations every night. They are using ground software, They are using ground terminology. They will be using Ground Methods here pretty soon. They are going to quadruple the amount of handlers, so the drivers will not be loading their own trucks and will come in to vehicles ready to go.

On a recent tour, the ground director and local ground managers were absolutely shocked to see Express employees on the AM sort loading their own trucks. Even more shocked to see Express managers talking to the drivers. They asked the Express management "you actually talk to the drivers?" Express mgmt said of course. We know all their names, employee numbers, whether they are married, if they have kids, etc.... The ground ops managers said they never talk to the drivers and only care that the trucks are going out and coming back full.

Artee

Yet out of the three Express was the largest revenue source. 4Z is a small % of Express volume and limited in coverage to make service. Inject pkgs are still flown on planes to make service. FedEx will always need planes and will need employees to be viable long term.
at the end of fiscal year 2023 the Express operating revenue was $1,064B, Ground was $3,140B

The operating income for Q4 2023 was Express $430M and Ground was $1B

MAKAVELI

Express is dead. You just have not caught a whiff of the rotting corpse yet. I get to two new "legacy" stations every night. They are using ground software, They are using ground terminology. They will be using Ground Methods here pretty soon. They are going to quadruple the amount of handlers, so the drivers will not be loading their own trucks and will come in to vehicles ready to go.

On a recent tour, the ground director and local ground managers were absolutely shocked to see Express employees on the AM sort loading their own trucks. Even more shocked to see Express managers talking to the drivers. They asked the Express management "you actually talk to the drivers?" Express mgmt said of course. We know all their names, employee numbers, whether they are married, if they have kids, etc.... The ground ops managers said they never talk to the drivers and only care that the trucks are going out and coming back full.
You know what Legacy means? It means those stations will be doing both Express and Ground with employees. I know you RTD drivers think you know everything but the fact is you really have no clue. Yes they are going to be using more Ground technology because it's newer and Estar and DRA are already big failures.