wkmac

[video=youtube;BssWWZ3XEe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BssWWZ3XEe4[/video]

devil.thumbnail.gif

Love you too More!
:wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Once I got old enough to really think about it, the idea of pledging allegiance to a flag, or even a country, seemed fascistic. I would prefer that politicians in particular pledge to uphold certain principles like free speech, universal suffrage, equal treatment before the law, etc.
jmho

moreluck

golden ticket member
We don't pledge an allegiance to some striped & starred piece of material........it's what the flag represents that we pledge allegiance to. If you look at the flag waving and hear our national anthem playing and it doesn't bring a tear to your eye or strike a chord of pride in your heart, then I feel sorry for you.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
We don't pledge an allegiance to some striped & starred piece of material........it's what the flag represents that we pledge allegiance to. If you look at the flag waving and hear our national anthem playing and it doesn't bring a tear to your eye or strike a chord of pride in your heart, then I feel sorry for you.

So true. I think of all the blood spilled and lives lost everytime i hear the national anthem.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you read the pledge, that's exactly what you are doing. You claim that you're pledging allegiance to what it represents, but how do you know it represents the same thing to the person standing next to you? That's why I personally would prefer to have those principles spelled out. At the end of the day I don't know that it matters all that much anyway to be honest. Big crowds of people all reciting words in unison tend to make me nervous, regardless of the content. I've never liked groupthink.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Big crowds of people all reciting words in unison tend to make me nervous, regardless of the content. I've never liked groupthink.

I see/hear the same thing in churches too (they call it singing) ... everybody saying the same words in unison ... pretty creepy.

P

pickup

Red Skelton--from his television show in 1969 WOW !

Just think, he said this on his television show in 1969 and really had no clue it would ever come about.

This is one that needs to be passed on to Everyone.

http://media.causes.com/604250?p_id=42563578

Moreluck, did you actually watch the video that you linked to ? Red, in quoting his teacher, said "Pledge- dedicate all my worldly goods to give without self pity" . Do you agree with that? I don't think you do . If you did, you wouldn't be complaining about Obama in other threads.

In 12th grade, I suffered my torn ligaments in my ankle(relayed my story in the a somewhat current thread, although I said I was 18 when it happened. In reality I was 17 as I remember the circumstances better. Anyway, the principal comes on the p.a system ready to lead the pledge and I wasn't getting up but just continued reading my book. Suddenly the teacher appears on my left side, telling me to get up. I looked at her with a quizzical look and politely told her " I prefer to sit" . She then starts gently pulling on my left shoulder asking "do I want to live in Russia?" I then replied " I quite honestly don't see the difference between living there and being in her homeroom." She then told me I need to report to the principal for failure to stand for the pledge. I then told her "you have less of a leg to stand on( pretty funny when my ankle was in a cast ) than I do when it comes to this issue as I then quoted a supreme court ruling that stated that people can not be compelled to take the pledge" . I got the year wrong of the ruling by 20 odd years, but she didn't notice. I then told her that" the Supreme court is part of this country that you love so much, and while you may not agree with its ruling, it is obviously needed to stop people like you from running over the likes of me." She then thought it over and reneged on her threat to send me to the principal .

She however, put a -5 rating on my citizenship record for the term . (which I later changed to a + 5 rating when I got to rubber stamp "Honor Society" on the appropriate record cards that would be sent to colleges , in my role as first officer of the Honor Society . (I just threw that in as I am amazed that remember the details of this incident).

I guess, I am relaying the details of this story because you remind me of my homeroom teacher , moreluck. So darn reactionary at times and in being so , you actually betray the very principles that this country is built upon. She was a good broad (I assume she is dead at this point because I would imagine that her constitution could only take so many of the cultural shocks that the years between then and now brought.), but gosh darn it, she was a pain in the ass at times. God and Country aren't one for if they were ,the Israelites would have stayed in Egypt as the leaders of that country thought they(the Israelites) had the religious duty to stay( Maybe I went in that direction because tonight is the first day of passover. I am going by the lunar calendar in which a day begins after sunset.)

All that being said, I love you moreluck and there is nothing you can do about it . But sometimes......... uuhh.

As for children taking a pledge, children can not enter enforceable contracts in any other matter, until they are 18(yes I know of the exceptions when parents give their consent in certain matters but even then, those exceptions usually take place when the child is about 16 or older). Why is there an exception for this pledge? Not only are they allowed to make this pledge, but in many cases , it is essentially compulsory.

Oh well, I just wasted another 20 minutes of my life. Carry on

P.S. I see my punctuation is off a bit, but screw it , just because I am reliving my high school years doesn't mean I am in high school.

P

pickup

By the way, any god loving people want to join my petition to have "Lue C friend--" to change his name on this website? I fear that some unsuspecting member of this forum might unwittingly recite(mentally or verbally) his name and in doing so, invoke the presence of the dark one himself. After all, if it is so important to invoke the name of God in the pledge, I feel it is equally important to make sure we don't mention the name of the Adversary.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
By the way, any god loving people want to join my petition to have "Lue C friend--" to change his name on this website? I fear that some unsuspecting member of this forum might unwittingly recite(mentally or verbally) his name and in doing so, invoke the presence of the dark one himself. After all, if it is so important to invoke the name of God in the pledge, I feel it is equally important to make sure we don't mention the name of the Adversary.

Keep it up and i will take your soul and you will burn in hellfire for eternity....Muwhaaahahahhaha...(thats and evil laugh).:devillangel:

wkmac

I see/hear the same thing in churches too (they call it singing) ... everybody saying the same words in unison ... pretty creepy.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't go to church :wink2:

Same here although I made the mistake of studying ancient religions and the common threads to modern dogma just got to great that I just went back to the original and worshiped a tree. I find the tree never judges me, never calls me a sinner nor threatens me will some eternal torture chamber. Doesn't promise me heaven or 70 virgins for that matter. Come to think of it, it never sez a damn thing!

:happy-very:

I don't recite the pledge to the State nor do I sing it's anthems either! Since the founding fathers either created a national pledge nor an anthem to sing meaning they didn't partake of such nationalist displays, am I as patriotic as they since I don't do these things or are they as unpatriotic as I am?

Anybody wanna salute my flag?
images

:wink2::peaceful:

Last edited by a moderator:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/
Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of currently serving military, reserves, National Guard, veterans, Peace Officers, and Fire Fighters who will fulfill the Oath we swore, with the support of like minded citizens who take an Oath to stand with us, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help us God. Our Oath is to the Constitution
Our motto is "Not on our watch!"