Possible driver death due to heat

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have 3 ice machines and we run out.
Yes I will bet you do, I assume you are from AZ? I dont know how you guys do it.
I think the biggest problem here is it was warning of frost, one evening, and the next day it was humid and 90. I think some acclimation helps. But what do I know I am a truck driver.
But seriously, I know its not a requirement, although I would like to see it to have ice available even in the winter. Hydration is just as important. Yes I am responsible and I can provide my own ice, but come on, how much would it cost to have an ice machine. I have also noticed my dispatch dropped. 9.5 list or cta?

Yeah. We had a driver die in a motorcycle accident. Just ran right into the back of semi full speed. They think he had a heart attack first. Could just as easily of happened at work but I don't know what good a nation wide pcm would of done.
It would have done better than the PCM we got today that said,"you can't spin a raw egg, but if you boil it, then it spins". WTF does that have to do with UPS?

Ecw21411

While I totally agree with personal responsibility, I do think driver deaths of any nature should be mentioned at the pcm.
Now there is a safety PCM about the guy who got hit behind his vehicle.
Instead of making us stretch, while most of us do that before we get there, its a joke.
Or talking about the stupid crashes, and low hanging limbs, dog bites, and rolled ankles, how about a serious PCM, about real dangers.
And on a side note, I did notice pallets of water brought in, the last few days. How about an ice machine.......Goodness its a write off.
I was told the company won't get us ice because somewhere a driver drank the melted ice and it made him sick .....wtf

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Bold position. Stops per car is a fact. Do you disagree? They "could" put on more drivers/routes. That's a fact. They won't though, at least not until late July. (That's an opinion I've based upon conversations I've been privy to)

"They" could do more but, they won't. That's a fact.

I will counter your point on your "feelings" with this. IE who develops the plan and the managers charged with executing that plan could care less about: your feelings, my feelings, or any other employee-at-large's feelings. This is a business and feelings don't make money. That's a fact.

Do you disagree?

So you still blame UPS for the drivers death, spin it however you like or post some facts.

So what I have read after the last post is that I should adjust a drivers day based on their personal issues.

I "could" do lots of things but if you are a money hungry driver you gonna stay out no matter what, might as well give you something to do while your out there.

Your right we are not running a social experiment, its a business and we are here to make money and that's how you get paid.

I could go on but I have been home since 530 pm and I have am gonna leave you on the internet still mad about work!

wayfair

swollen member
I'm sure that AC in PC could be incorporated into the next contract but the Union would rather have wage increases so Hoffa/Hall and the Locals can increase the dues.

"If it is illegal in the state of Arizona to leave a child or pet in your vehicle during the hot summer months, then it is only reasonable to suggest that safety measures, such as air conditioning, be required in UPS trucks."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
"If it is illegal in the state of Arizona to leave a child or pet in your vehicle during the hot summer months, then it is only reasonable to suggest that safety measures, such as air conditioning, be required in UPS trucks."
Now that made me laugh! Good one.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
While I hate working in the Summer heat with a passion, I have done it for thirty-one years. Air conditioning in a package car isn't going to happen. I simply guzzle water all day and keep going.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
So you still blame UPS for the drivers death, spin it however you like or post some facts.

So what I have read after the last post is that I should adjust a drivers day based on their personal issues.

I "could" do lots of things but if you are a money hungry driver you gonna stay out no matter what, might as well give you something to do while your out there.

Your right we are not running a social experiment, its a business and we are here to make money and that's how you get paid.

I could go on but I have been home since 530 pm and I have am gonna leave you on the internet still mad about work!

I considered offering a tit-for-tat response but then, I realized, you can't even conjugate the words: "You" and "Are" properly. (You're, not your...).

;)

wayfair

swollen member
*We would also like to ask the State of Arizona to enact a safety measure to protect anyone who would be required to endure extreme temperatures inside of non air conditioned vehicles. *

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Other businesses in hot states, start their crews early and have them off the clock by 2pm. Not possible at UPS, so side vents, on the cars, too much expense?