Possible driver death due to heat

watdaflock?

Conditioning , hearing a lot of that. Should every driver sit in a sauna and do physical activities, in intervals ,to acclimate there body for summer heat?
Yes. In a similar conversation (linked below) I brought up these facts-

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/calories-burned.362010/
All seriousness because you work out a few times a week contributes to you sweating more.

Your body has become more trained to cool itself when overheated.
You sweat sooner because your body is trained to respond.
You sweat more because your body has learned to keep its temperature under control.

Because of the exercise and your body adapting to the heat better than others you lose less electrolytes per volume of sweat.
You’ll still need to replenish electrolytes during exercise, but this adaptation helps to keep the electrolyte requirement manageable.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I love all you Monday morning quarterbacks! you guys know it all don't you?

dehydration sets in way before you feel thirsty for one thing. your reflexes start to slow, your thinking starts to get fuzzy, and you start making mental mistakes. its almost like you drank a six pack of beer.

you all were not in this drivers shoes on this day so shut the feck up about judging. instead say a prayer for her and her family.it could have been anyone of us.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
If not sitting in actual saunas throughout the year we should at least have physical fitness and body mass standards.

They do. It's called your DOT physical. Oh you mean everyone should be a tip top athlete? Are you kidding??? Good luck with getting that implementation. While we are at it, let's impose a standard intelligence level too. Oops sorry you're disqualified now.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It does not matter what type of shape you're in when working in a metal box with zero air circulation in 98% humidity. That does for drivers, pre/late load and sorters.

Sorting load? Open the back doors. That's what I do. When it is hot like that you have to flood yourself with water.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The DOT "physical" is a joke.

Actually no it's not. I've seen drivers DQ for not meeting them or being reduced to a one year card.

If ups started to DQ everyone who didn't meet a ridiculous high standard of physical fitness, well then there wouldn't be any drivers left. We are not navy SEALs. There's a balance of both the individual responsibility to take care of themselves and the company not to impose such impossible out of reach standards and goals.

watdaflock?

If ups started to DQ everyone who didn't meet a ridiculous high standard of physical fitness, well then there wouldn't be any drivers left. We are not navy SEALs. There's a balance of both the individual responsibility to take care of themselves and the company not to impose such impossible out of reach standards and goals.

Anything written in the contract about numbers changing when at a certain heat index?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually no it's not. I've seen drivers DQ for not meeting them or being reduced to a one year card.

What I meant was anyone who thinks the DOT physical is the only one they need is a fool.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
That's what orion is for. Unfortunately they can't do anything about the unfit drivers.

Oh so you've run ORION?? I thought you were a preloader? How would you know how ORION works? And if ORION is the intelligence standard that ups wants to set, well then I weep for the future because it has many many flaws.

I'll tell you what. Go be a driver and learn the job , methods and how to run routes blind etc etc , then get some time under your belt like 20 years, then you can talk.

And pair the temps with the 19sec bulk head door being open metric they are doing , you find yourself hard press to get a drink and don't even bring up the fact that if you are on the 9.5 how much more they are watching your dead time
I'm told by management to "hydrate, hydrate, hydrate". I work as directed and do it on their clock, no matter how long it takes me.