Preload Initiative

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Known as PMD, or the Preload Misload Detection tool, yep, we have it. It is apparently my job to make sure it works everytime. There are quite a few problems with it, but chief among them, is that when the belt sups do not close out the GSS scanners properly (i.e. active loads - Exit App, Logout, etc), that it doesn't show in PMD but it shows in the I-Gate GSS Scancheck report. That's not my fault, but I'm chewed out for it anyway. Sweet.

Nope not what I am talking about. You scan the vehicle barcode just like you do scancheck, you then scan the packages. This program (its live) shows you if any packages are on wrong car and what car it should be on. It also shows if its an add cut not moved. You can print out form right on the spot and review misloads with preloader. Sound familiar?

I understand your frustration with the rest of it also and feel your pain daily.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
very few hourlies misload on purpose, or by neglect. the circumstances that encourage misloads, and prevent the problem from being improved, are 100% created by management

I don't agree that it's 100%, but I agree with the overall point that a very high % of misloads are caused by job setup. Job setup includes every PAL looking the same and every car having the same HINs. I also think corporate is in denial. They always talk about miles and service and ignore the misload problem. It doesn't make any sense.

TxRoadDawg

very few hourlies misload on purpose, or by neglect. the circumstances that encourage misloads, and prevent the problem from being improved, are 100% created by management

I don't agree that it's 100%, but I agree with the overall point that a very high % of misloads are caused by job setup. Job setup includes every PAL looking the same and every car having the same HINs. I also think corporate is in denial. They always talk about miles and service and ignore the misload problem. It doesn't make any sense.
one thing that is 100% is letting people make seniority that never should have made it 3 days on payroll. Other problem is drowning in so much paperwork there's little time left to really supervise. I'm sure Dragon would agree one oms could spend the whole 5.5 just on reports, trackers, ect.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
The problem with our paperwork is when something new is added..."Well, it'll only take 5 or 10 minutes.."

OK, 5 or 10 minutes x 15....15 being the rest of the paperwork and reports that were added in the last year or so. That crap adds up. I also love it when I find out that one of those other reports could have been disregarded 5 months ago, yet I've been continuing to do it. I sometimes wish the urgency to make sure I do a new report is matched when an old one is discontinued....

Next, they lecture you about pencil-whipping.....but I digress.

I also (pardon the box of soap I'm now standing on) take issue with a phenomenon that I call "Personal Policy". There is a lot of "Personal Policy" in my time with this company, and is a bit of the reason I, at times, am cynical of upper management. I understand that it is within a division manager's realm of power to issue up his own spreadsheet, or make personal 'rules' in the operation or how something is run. This is fine if you've had the same division manager for the past 20 years.....but this is hardly the norm. Here comes "I Like To Fix What's NOT Broken" district manager #2....He has his own set of preferences on how such-and-such should be done....None of these "Personal Policies" can be found in any methods manual or training form. I won't remember all of them. I can't remember all of them. What rule was from who...when....how....it's stupid. I need my next couple layers of management between me (PT sup) and the division manager to act their role as filters and translate this stuff to fit our already successful operation, instead of just accepting the next Personal Policy that noone will remember where it came from in 6 months, or why it needs to be implemented at all....

TxRoadDawg

The problem with our paperwork is when something new is added..."Well, it'll only take 5 or 10 minutes.."

OK, 5 or 10 minutes x 15....15 being the rest of the paperwork and reports that were added in the last year or so. That crap adds up. I also love it when I find out that one of those other reports could have been disregarded 5 months ago, yet I've been continuing to do it. I sometimes wish the urgency to make sure I do a new report is matched when an old one is discontinued....

Next, they lecture you about pencil-whipping.....but I digress.

I also (pardon the box of soap I'm now standing on) take issue with a phenomenon that I call "Personal Policy". There is a lot of "Personal Policy" in my time with this company, and is a bit of the reason I, at times, am cynical of upper management. I understand that it is within a division manager's realm of power to issue up his own spreadsheet, or make personal 'rules' in the operation or how something is run. This is fine if you've had the same division manager for the past 20 years.....but this is hardly the norm. Here comes "I Like To Fix What's NOT Broken" district manager #2....He has his own set of preferences on how such-and-such should be done....None of these "Personal Policies" can be found in any methods manual or training form. I won't remember all of them. I can't remember all of them. What rule was from who...when....how....it's stupid. I need my next couple layers of management between me (PT sup) and the division manager to act their role as filters and translate this stuff to fit our already successful operation, instead of just accepting the next Personal Policy that noone will remember where it came from in 6 months, or why it needs to be implemented at all....

Doesn't help matters that 90% of the reference material is so outdated its irrelevant or the links to it are broke. I still see stuff from 2004-2005 for 'best' practices posted on line and whats new is so dumbed down it might as well say take seat, turn on computer, and good luck charlie.

curiousbrain

Known as PMD, or the Preload Misload Detection tool, yep, we have it. It is apparently my job to make sure it works everytime. There are quite a few problems with it, but chief among them, is that when the belt sups do not close out the GSS scanners properly (i.e. active loads - Exit App, Logout, etc), that it doesn't show in PMD but it shows in the I-Gate GSS Scancheck report. That's not my fault, but I'm chewed out for it anyway. Sweet.

Nope not what I am talking about. You scan the vehicle barcode just like you do scancheck, you then scan the packages. This program (its live) shows you if any packages are on wrong car and what car it should be on. It also shows if its an add cut not moved. You can print out form right on the spot and review misloads with preloader. Sound familiar?

I understand your frustration with the rest of it also and feel your pain daily.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the PMD tool - and the problem I referenced, upon reflection, is not really a fault of PMD, but more a human problem (i.e. people don't close out the scanners properly). The one you describe is the PMD, and as you said, it has all those functions. I had a thread about it I think a year or so ago, where I was struggling to get it working and it turned out to be something simple like having Office installed, not the Viewers.

I know it's probably (assuredly?) ten times worse for the upper management, it's just been a rough couple of weeks - it's always crazy in the beginning of the year, but this year seems especially wicked.

Gazelle

Race me!

We use this at my center, dispatch will print out the sheets throughout the course of the night. It's easy finding the wrong cars but finding the OOS packages is frustrating.