Preloader gift for Xmas

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I plan on giving mine either $50 or $100 (haven't decided yet) because he is an invaluable part of my day. He is driving this Peak but will be back in January. I am going to re-gift a $25 gift card to my Peak loader.

How much to give is a purely personal thing, as Dilli said.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I always tip my loader 50 to 100, but this year I got a new loader and he's a personal friend of mine from before he came to work at UPS. I told my wife I feel a little weird giving him cash. She suggested a gift card to our favorite watering hole. I agree, if you have a decent loader, you gotta hook em up.

PAUPSER

I'll tip my helper and loader $100.00 this year adding the numerous times I bought both of them breakfast or lunch. It is the least I can do because they did a good job this year and helped me out a lot! I think some of the drivers when they starting making 50 to 70K a year, well at least some at my center forget what it was like to busted your butt as a helper or loader an hardly making enough money to afford to drive to work everyday, and adding to the fact that new hires now have to wait a year for insurance, which is BS in my opinion! All of this just makes me aware as to what it was like at one time being a low paid slave at ups.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I was preloading it would have been nice if my drivers had remembered me. But they didn't.:sad-little: I'm on the garbage rte now and my preloader does a good job so I will get him a little something .

brownrodster

Whats a good gift or cash gift for your preloader?

Since I usually never even look at my truck before PCM. I have no idea who my preloader is. But i'd say 50 would be decent for a good preloader.

I'll probably give my helper 50$. He's good and I hope they let me keep him till xmas.

helenofcalifornia

I gave two of my preloaders $50 each and a gift certificate to Denny's (since that is where I always seem to see them after work hours).

Next year, after working the entire year, my loaders will get $100. for Christmas, I have this God-awful loader who believes in the pyramid method of loading. You build high next to the sides of the truck and then cascade the packages down to the center of the floor so that you have no room to walk or put your dolly.

And of course, label out, which means that no matter how big the package or shape, the label will be facing out. If he put the package on its side, you may be able to put three more boxes in that spot, but nooooooo..... Every single driver that has had one of his loads is universal in their criticism of his work methods. We refer to bad loads as a "Bob-load." And unfortunately, we now have a "Bob-ette" loader too.

What happened to the good old days when you got threatened with being thrown back to the unload?? And this "loader" repeatedly asks me when I am going to tip him. (Since he knows his regular driver will give him nada, zip, rien, kein geld, etc.)

Tip this, buddy!!!!!! Merry Christmas!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ah Helen I feel for ya. A bad loader truly makes the day a living nightmare.:dissapointed: I wouldn't have given 'em anything either. Most definately not after asking.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ah Helen I feel for ya. A bad loader truly makes the day a living nightmare.:dissapointed: I wouldn't have given 'em anything either. Most definately not after asking.

I'm all for tipping and my wife has accused me of over doing it when it comes to waitresses and bartenders but I have to admit that in all my time at UPS I never heard of one UPS person tipping another. Is this more of an east and west coast thing? I never tip someone that demands one. :peaceful:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When I was preloading it would have been nice if my drivers had remembered me. But they didn't.:sad-little: I'm on the garbage rte now and my preloader does a good job so I will get him a little something .
good for you Dilli!! I always tipped my regular p/loader every year!! lots of people have the attitude that I didn't get a tip ,why should I tip the p/loader!!!! glad you rose above the rest!!! Merry Christmas.......:happy2:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Rod ..I think alot of people tip the p/loaders now a days i usually did,he was a full time p/loader for 30 yrs and would give you the shirt off his back. I also give my feeder mechanic a 20$$ gift card from Dunkin Donuts.he does a great job and has been known to replace a mirror or two with out any ??'s when i wuz new!!!

cwmaxxout

Great idea driver's tip rate divided x 52 weeks = what 2 you lets see 50/52=.96 cents per week part-time vs full-time priceless! Happy Holiday!
My point would be remember that pre-loader or helper makes your day easier all year long!!! MAXXOUT!!!!!!!

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I have a p1000 with 305 stops a day and this loader can not figure out how to load my truck. I had a stop today of qvc of 8 boxes all on the shelf and in my 1000 section. I spend 2hrs a day sorting my truck. My loader isn't getting nothing. Now on to my helper, he is really making my life easier. We are getting done around 1830 everyday and I have taken him to dinner 3 times and will be giving him 50$ for making those 305 the easiest I will ever deliver.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used to have a great Preloader before PAS/EDD, and I would give her a $50 Giftcard for Longhorn's Steakhouse. The two years or so since, I have only mediocre loaders for a few months at a time. My current guy usually throws a missort on me from the next package car everyday. The worst thing he does is load everything in a Section out of sequence. He also likes to load large boxes with the address label on the floor or against the wall. Probably no tip from me.

My Helper is great though. She will get a C-Note Christmas Eve. We did 246 today and got the last one off at 5:45, still a little light out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I always tip my loader 50 to 100, but this year I got a new loader and he's a personal friend of mine from before he came to work at UPS. I told my wife I feel a little weird giving him cash. She suggested a gift card to our favorite watering hole. I agree, if you have a decent loader, you gotta hook em up.

I'm gonna give your loader a tip; Get new running shoes, speed up, stop running like a girl....:surprised: LOL :wink2:

I have a p1000 with 305 stops a day and this loader can not figure out how to load my truck. I had a stop today of qvc of 8 boxes all on the shelf and in my 1000 section. I spend 2hrs a day sorting my truck. My loader isn't getting nothing. Now on to my helper, he is really making my life easier. We are getting done around 1830 everyday and I have taken him to dinner 3 times and will be giving him 50$ for making those 305 the easiest I will ever deliver.

How about giving your preloader a little taste of what he/she would normally get, had the load been decent? Tell him/her that you tipped the helper $50 but couldn't bring yourself to give them the same, as the loads were really terrible. This would help them to be aware of the fact, that you're not a cheapskate and may point the in the direction of, you get what you give.

I wouldn't give a tip to someone that told me I had to or demanded one.

Bad Gas!

I tip my my helper weekly $10.He hustles, shows up on time and is prety darn funny. He see's the best in every woman. All I see are pkgs and houses ..mostly...But as a single guy, he's always saying" did you see that"?..I just laugh.There is a 23 year age difference and I have been married 25 years.....And get this...We were born on the exact same day in April....But, it's still nice to see the sunshine on cloudy days!...Amen..

BigBrownSanta

I have had 5 different preloaders this year. The previous 4 quit. When I arrive in the mornings, the belts are usually wrapped, so I don't see my current preloader and I wouldn't know who to tip anyways. He does a pretty good job loading the shelves, but has no clue about bulking out. He always buries the overflow 1000's up next to the wheel well with the labels facing down, and for some unknown reason has to pile everything else at the front door. The only tip I would give my preloader is to not let me see him go into any dark alleys on Christmas Eve.

My helper, on the other hand has been outstanding. Always on time, upbeat, and puts up with my grouchy moods. He'll probably get a $50 gift card to a local restaurant or maybe $100 cash. Considering his desire to work more hours though, I think he needs the cash more than the meal.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm gonna give your loader a tip; Get new running shoes, speed up, stop running like a girl....:surprised: LOL :wink2:

How about giving your preloader a little taste of what he/she would normally get, had the load been decent? Tell him/her that you tipped the helper $50 but couldn't bring yourself to give them the same, as the loads were really terrible. This would help them to be aware of the fact, that you're not a cheapskate and may point the in the direction of, you get what you give.

I wouldn't give a tip to someone that told me I had to or demanded one.

BTW, that's what I would do for Christmas, don't know what the heck xmas means, anyways. Is that like a fill in the blank, put the appropriate name where the X is?

satellitedriver

A $100 to the pre loader that does not load my truck.
Roger, ( a preloader) drives down and takes 10 to 20 stops off of me and is glad for the extra hours and then calls the center to help other drivers.
He needs and wants the money.
Writing this after just sealing the gift card.
I think I have been too cheap.
His willingness to work and doing the job correctly makes me feel like Scrooge giving him just a C note.