Preloader gift for Xmas

Being a cover/swing driver, I don't really have a preloader that I can call mine. (that sounds creepy) The route that I have been covering the most for the last three or four months has a p-loader that sucks...I mean he is terrible. If it gets in the right section, well you're lucky. Lately I have gotten down to the point that I praise him for not giving me misloads for another route. If he were to ask me "when are you going to tip me?", I would tell him, "Don't invest your money in anything that eats."
In the past year of covering primarily 4 or 5 areas, I've seen one p-loader that is even decent and he is fantastic! Loads stop for stop with EDD, all multi packages together, shelf and floor. If he loaded my truck everyday, a $100 bucks would be his. Unfortunately the guys he loads for now won't give him squat.

BTW, that's what I would do for Christmas, don't know what the heck xmas means, anyways. Is that like a fill in the blank, put the appropriate name where the X is?
LOL not quite

X is actually the symbol for Christ in, dont quote me on this but, hebrew? So saying Xmas is like saying christmas... except with an x... think like prince and that whole symbol thing.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have no doubt that some people write "Xmas" because they are too busy or too lazy to write out the whole word. And no doubt some secular people, who are just as uninformed as Christians, see "Xmas" as a way to avoid writing "Christ." And certainly there are secular and commercial motives in the fact that "XMAS" appears in ads and signs because it can be larger and more attention getting in the same amount of space (more bang for the buck). But those factors do not take away the thoroughly Christian origin of the word "Xmas." In this instance, all of the hype and hysteria over supposedly taking Christ out of Christmas by writing "Xmas" instead of spelling out "Christmas" is both uninformed and misdirected.

Abbreviations used as Christian symbols have a long history in the church. The letters of the word "Christ" in Greek, the language in which the New Testament was written, or various titles
chirho.bmp
for Jesus early became symbols of Christ and Christianity. For example, the first two letters of the word Christ (cristoV, or as it would be written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS) are the Greek letters chi (c or C) and rho (r or R). These letters were used in the early church to create the chi-rho monogram (see Chrismons), a symbol that by the fourth century became part of the official battle standard of the emperor Constantine.

The exact origin of the single letter X for Christ cannot be pinpointed with certainty. Some claim that it began in the first century AD along with the other symbols, but evidence is lacking. Others think that it came into widespread use by the thirteenth century along with many other abbreviations and symbols for Christianity and various Christian ideas that were popular in the Middle Ages. However, again, the evidence is sparse.

In any case, by the fifteenth century Xmas emerged as a widely used symbol for Christmas. In 1436 Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press with moveable type. In the early days of printing typesetting was done by hand and was very tedious and expensive. As a result, abbreviations were common. In religious publications, the church began to use the abbreviation C for the word "Christ" to cut down on the cost of the books and pamphlets. From there, the abbreviation moved into general use in newspapers and other publications, and "Xmas" became an accepted way of printing "Christmas" (along with the abbreviations Xian and Xianity). Even Webster’s dictionary acknowledges that the abbreviation Xmas was in common use by the middle of the sixteenth century.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
For XMAS, I am going to take a $100 dollar bill, rip it into a hundred pieces, spread it all out in the package car shelves with the packages, tell the preloader his gift is inside the car and ask him to locate it all in 8 hours.

As a bonus, I will provide a roll of scotch tape!

See if he can get the job done as he makes me do 365 days a year!:dead:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I have no doubt that some people write "Xmas" because they are too busy or too lazy to write out the whole word. And no doubt some secular people, who are just as uninformed as Christians, see "Xmas" as a way to avoid writing "Christ." And certainly there are secular and commercial motives in the fact that "XMAS" appears in ads and signs because it can be larger and more attention getting in the same amount of space (more bang for the buck). But those factors do not take away the thoroughly Christian origin of the word "Xmas." In this instance, all of the hype and hysteria over supposedly taking Christ out of Christmas by writing "Xmas" instead of spelling out "Christmas" is both uninformed and misdirected.

Abbreviations used as Christian symbols have a long history in the church. The letters of the word "Christ" in Greek, the language in which the New Testament was written, or various titles
chirho.bmp
for Jesus early became symbols of Christ and Christianity. For example, the first two letters of the word Christ (cristoV, or as it would be written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS) are the Greek letters chi (c or C) and rho (r or R). These letters were used in the early church to create the chi-rho monogram (see Chrismons), a symbol that by the fourth century became part of the official battle standard of the emperor Constantine.

The exact origin of the single letter X for Christ cannot be pinpointed with certainty. Some claim that it began in the first century AD along with the other symbols, but evidence is lacking. Others think that it came into widespread use by the thirteenth century along with many other abbreviations and symbols for Christianity and various Christian ideas that were popular in the Middle Ages. However, again, the evidence is sparse.

In any case, by the fifteenth century Xmas emerged as a widely used symbol for Christmas. In 1436 Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press with moveable type. In the early days of printing typesetting was done by hand and was very tedious and expensive. As a result, abbreviations were common. In religious publications, the church began to use the abbreviation C for the word "Christ" to cut down on the cost of the books and pamphlets. From there, the abbreviation moved into general use in newspapers and other publications, and "Xmas" became an accepted way of printing "Christmas" (along with the abbreviations Xian and Xianity). Even Webster’s dictionary acknowledges that the abbreviation Xmas was in common use by the middle of the sixteenth century.

WAY TOOOOO MUCH BILL O"RIELLY DUDE!!:dead:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hey, TOS, a little history never hurt anybody !! Might as well learn something while you're wasting your time on the computer.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL not quite

X is actually the symbol for Christ in, dont quote me on this but, hebrew? So saying Xmas is like saying christmas... except with an x... think like prince and that whole symbol thing.

You mean Princetian?

Hey more, I totally understand what you're saying, and thanks for the lesson, yet again I have learned something, I did not know. Though I see your point, I will continue to use the word Christmas. I prefer to see the word Christ in the beginning of the word. It reminds me of what sacrifice was made for such a wretch as me. Besides I'm not in that much of a hurry, that I need to use single letters or symbols to express my point. Next thing you know, I'll be Stheupsguy.

As a side note and to continue with this thread, I took my helper out to lunch today. We ate at Cracker Barrel and she kept asking if I wanted her to pay for her part. After a few times, I held up my balled up fist, and shaking it at her said, if you ask that question one more time, young lady, POW, right in the kisser, she got the point and we both had a good laugh.:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
For XMAS, I am going to take a $100 dollar bill, rip it into a hundred pieces, spread it all out in the package car shelves with the packages, tell the preloader his gift is inside the car and ask him to locate it all in 8 hours.

As a bonus, I will provide a roll of scotch tape!

See if he can get the job done as he makes me do 365 days a year!:dead:

:thumbsup: Great idea, TOS.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Wow More, that was very informative. I did not know that. I just grew up with it. :happy2:

But I have to ask..................did you write that all from memory?:wink2:

browndevil

chirho.bmp

I thought that symbol was The artist foramally known as Prince..j/k More. I too had many years of Catholic school so I am very familar with this information. I wish my customers a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakuh, Winter Solstice. Kwaanza whatever their personal beliefs are and I take no personal offense to how I am greeted.
So on that note Merryhannakukasolsticekwaanza everyone! Oh and a prosperous 2009:happy2:

thebrownbox

My driver does the mall truck, I've had to make some pretty fast calls sometimes the truck just gets blown out so fast so some stops have to be moved and others that he has a commit time to are moved to the front, I took the time to read the sheet in his truck and so I moved all of the committed stops to the very front of the truck so they can be dropped off first without having to be pressed for time. all labels in the truck face the front unless the box is bulky and can only fit one way.

I guess he likes the load seems pretty excited when he sees the truck or me now.

lol too bad I don't get excited when I see my paycheck

HBGPreloader

As a loader, I think any gesture would be appreciated, even if you just show up a little early one morning to say thank you - assuming he/she is doing a good job.

Checkers

leastbest

LeastBest
With PAS my loader puts large 65 pound packages on the shelf and then the small ones on the floor when he runs out of room on the shelves from the big packages.

I used to tip my loaders, not with PAS. No custom loads.