Pro Athletes Earn Their Jobs Every Year. Would You Still Have Yours?

rod

Retired 22 years
without all unions the minimum wage would be the prevailing wage. people just don't understand that.

There are a LOT of people out there who falsely assume that companies care about them. Without Unions we would become the land of the ultra rich and the very poor which as Union membership is declining is slowly happening as we speak.

clean hairy

Of course, it is interesting to see where the best production is in the final year of a Players Contract.
Consider that Running Back Guy in Dallas last year.
Be interesting to see how he does this season in his first year of a new contract with a new team.

jbg77

Anything you do you should do to your absolute best. Not everyones absolute best is the same though. Ive seen many who shouldnt still have a job and many who work their tail off everyday. A more realistic question would be would you still have a job if we didnt have a union?

box_beeyotch

Anything you do you should do to your absolute best. Not everyones absolute best is the same though. Ive seen many who shouldnt still have a job and many who work their tail off everyday. A more realistic question would be would you still have a job if we didnt have a union?

Another would be would you still want the job if we didn't have a union?

andrsnbkj

In the pro athlete world, athletes must earn their jobs every year and even every game.

that got me to thinking about our jobs. we are pretty well protected by the union. however , if we had to keep our jobs by merit alone, how many of us would still have jobs?

I bet half wouldn't. after 25 years I know I cant keep up with the younger drivers but I hope my experience would make up for it.

what if performance counted for everything?

WOULD YOU MAKE THE TEAM?
It's not about a number its safety and a fair days work for a fair days pay its already tough enough for ups to keep anyone new they hire

Dr.Brownz

It's crazy when the regular route driver comes in at 7:30, 8:00 every night and when he is on vacation the cover driver comes in 5:00 to 6:00 every night.

Are the older drivers taking all of their breaks and meal periods? Maybe the young guys take a half hour lunch that they work through and skip breaks?

clean hairy

Of course, you have no stability with where you reside as you can be traded, having to uproot your family several times during your career.

MendozaJ

Professional athletes in America are paid for past performance. See: Kobe, Jeter, and any washed up European footballer in MLS.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
you do realize that there are many non-union companies that pay well above the minimum wage?

You do realize that these non-union companies pay their employees just enough to keep them somewhat satisfied so that they do not unionize?

Without unions, wages would plummet except for the rare family owned company that actually cares about their employees and treats them like family.