PT Sup going into FT driving?

ManInBrown

Last Peak a PT sup driving Seasonal ran into the overhead door before it was fully opened. Ended his driving career but he went back to PT sup.
The one in my center had to work the preload for a year. Now he's back to pt sup

I've never seen a pt sup get to drive FT. Here they only drive to try to become FT sups

PT Car Washer

The one in my center had to work the preload for a year. Now he's back to pt sup

I've never seen a pt sup get to drive FT. Here they only drive to try to become FT sups
True now days. Years ago PT sups did have an opportunity to go FT driving after a while. It still was not a short cut over the hourlies but at least they did have a shot at driving.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
I'm new here, so first and foremost hello!

I'm currently a PT sup, and I've been a PT sup for about 2 years now, was a preloader at first for a few months then was moved into supervision. This December would make me being a PT Sup for 2 years but just recently in January I received an email about any PT sups interested in being FT drivers.

I'm interested given that this would be an opportunity for me to make more money within the company, also my HR manager and warehouse manager has already approved my letter of intent and now all they are waiting for is my district manager's approval.. so I am pretty much in there, but am having reservations about taking this job now given what I've heard...

2 things, being that I am not with the union, I've been told that if I do not 'make it' within my 30 day probational period as a driver, I will lose my job completely with UPS.

And the other thing I've heard that any little thing that I do 'wrong' with UPS can also put my job in jeopardy... I am not afraid of work and often I work my butt off.. I've had many grievances written against me that's how much I work.

My question is though, given the circumstances, would it be in my best interest for me to take this FT driving opportunity? Or would I be better off just staying in supervision and waiting it out? I'm very impatient.. and ready to make more money I just would prefer not to lose my job.
image.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was pt sup for 6 yrs, and 2 yrs in other pt positions before that. I now have almost 24 driving. It was a good gig back them, It was my dream. Now its a nightmare. I wouldnt do it if I were you. Not with the way UPS is today. Unless you are guaranteed your job back. Mine was sink or swim. Actually today, I would recommend UPS to no one for a career, but thats just my opinion.

PACNW

I recommend you go driving and stay there. I was a P/T sup for 6 years before I went driving. Met some great people, learned a lot. Had some great managers and some terrible ones. Once I got the chance to drive I never looked back. (Only know of 1 guy that didn't make it as a driver, he got his job back, but in a different building about 10 miles away.) It was a little scary not having a safety net for those first 30 days, but it was worth it for me. Been Driving 12 years now and am thrilled to be out of management. I still get asked to fill On Road Sup positions all the time, but have no desire. I live a stress free work life that allows me to be a better father and husband than I could ever be in management. All of the P/T sups I worked with that went into friend/T management are miserable or have been fired for doing dumb things chasing numbers.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I remember about 2 1/2 years ago our PT sup quit and they offered me the job and told me that I would be the FT driver since the next spot open was for an outside hire. Literally everybody I worked with told me it was career suicide and they would never promote the PT sup to FT driver. So I listened to them and declined the job. They kept offering the job to people on the preload and one preloader who had worked less than a year took the job. He only had to be PT sup for maybe 6 months and then he went into driving.... I could have skipped 4 spots if I had only taken that job

Gear

Parts on Order
I'm new here, so first and foremost hello!

I'm currently a PT sup, and I've been a PT sup for about 2 years now, was a preloader at first for a few months then was moved into supervision. This December would make me being a PT Sup for 2 years but just recently in January I received an email about any PT sups interested in being FT drivers.

I'm interested given that this would be an opportunity for me to make more money within the company, also my HR manager and warehouse manager has already approved my letter of intent and now all they are waiting for is my district manager's approval.. so I am pretty much in there, but am having reservations about taking this job now given what I've heard...

2 things, being that I am not with the union, I've been told that if I do not 'make it' within my 30 day probational period as a driver, I will lose my job completely with UPS.

And the other thing I've heard that any little thing that I do 'wrong' with UPS can also put my job in jeopardy... I am not afraid of work and often I work my butt off.. I've had many grievances written against me that's how much I work.

My question is though, given the circumstances, would it be in my best interest for me to take this FT driving opportunity? Or would I be better off just staying in supervision and waiting it out? I'm very impatient.. and ready to make more money I just would prefer not to lose my job.

You are having reservations about taking the job after the things you have heard. -Its important to know most things you heard are false. Rumors are the #1 source of info here at UPS. Plus you are currently a supervisor which makes you the "enemy". Hourly guys will be annoyed at you getting a driver position before them, so they probably will exaggerate stories.

You are worried about the 30 day probation period for a driver position. -You are not trying out for the Navy SEALs. Look at some of the drivers, you can make it.
Sorry guys, but its true. You will always be the Super Elite, Special Forces Driver in your head.

We can lose our jobs for any little thing. -Rumor, we pay union dues. If this was true management would fire everyone before they hit top rate. Being fired and loosing you job are 2 different things. People get fired and get their jobs back. Ask around when the last person LOST their job. No union member should be worried about losing their job. My building has a strong Teamster local, some guys are proud of how many times they have been fired.

Union jobs are the best jobs. Good luck.
FYI- I am not a driver. But I am a UPSer who hasnt lost touch with reality.

Bottom rung

I remember about 2 1/2 years ago our PT sup quit and they offered me the job and told me that I would be the FT driver since the next spot open was for an outside hire. Literally everybody I worked with told me it was career suicide and they would never promote the PT sup to FT driver. So I listened to them and declined the job. They kept offering the job to people on the preload and one preloader who had worked less than a year took the job. He only had to be PT sup for maybe 6 months and then he went into driving.... I could have skipped 4 spots if I had only taken that job
In my building your p/t co workers would have lost all respect for you had you done that and jumped people knowing why you did it. Glad you hung on and made it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You are having reservations about taking the job after the things you have heard. -Its important to know most things you heard are false. Rumors are the #1 source of info here at UPS. Plus you are currently a supervisor which makes you the "enemy". Hourly guys will be annoyed at you getting a driver position before them, so they probably will exaggerate stories.

You are worried about the 30 day probation period for a driver position. -You are not trying out for the Navy SEALs. Look at some of the drivers, you can make it.
Sorry guys, but its true. You will always be the Super Elite, Special Forces Driver in your head.

We can lose our jobs for any little thing. -Rumor, we pay union dues. If this was true management would fire everyone before they hit top rate. Being fired and loosing you job are 2 different things. People get fired and get their jobs back. Ask around when the last person LOST their job. No union member should be worried about losing their job. My building has a strong Teamster local, some guys are proud of how many times they have been fired.

Union jobs are the best jobs. Good luck.
FYI- I am not a driver. But I am a UPSer who hasnt lost touch with reality.
I bet you're real popular with everyone you work with.

You sound like you wish you were offered a driver job instead of what you seem to be doing at ups now.

A lot of penis envy in all your posts towards drivers.

Gear

Parts on Order
I bet you're real popular with everyone you work with.

You sound like you wish you were offered a driver job instead of what you seem to be doing at ups now.

A lot of penis envy in all your posts towards drivers.

Whys that? What bad information did I give in my last post? Which part wouldnt you agree with? Its normal for mechs to complain about drivers. Its like you complaining about how difficult your job is. It goes with the job.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Whys that? What bad information did I give in my last post? Which part wouldnt you agree with? Its normal for mechs to complain about drivers. Its like you complaining about how difficult your job is. It goes with the job.
My mechanics are great and we all get along with them well. I don't think it's normal but maybe for you. It just seems you have some animosity towards drivers. I don't see that animosity towards mechanics on our end. They're all stand up guys

Gear

Parts on Order
My mechanics are great and we all get along with them well. I don't think it's normal but maybe for you. It just seems you have some animosity towards drivers. I don't see that animosity towards mechanics on our end. They're all stand up guys

Its normal. Think about it, if another hourly could cause you to have more work, what are going to do? Buy him a coffee or b!tch about him? You guys complain about the preloaders. Why? Because they could cause your day to be a little more difficult. The only difference between you complaining about a preloader and me complaining about a driver is, you probably dont like the driver insults. But really there is no difference. I have a different job with the company, so I have different views. Most of the people on this site are drivers, so you all have basically the same view. My last post wasnt meant to be insulting to anyone. It was meant to have the OP stop and actually think about his/her environment. Union environments are usually anti company, which is normal. But for the OP to make the right decision, they would need to understand that idea.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Its normal. Think about it, if another hourly could cause you to have more work, what are going to do? Buy him a coffee or b!tch about him? You guys complain about the preloaders. Why? Because they could cause your day to be a little more difficult. The only difference between you complaining about a preloader and me complaining about a driver is, you probably dont like the driver insults. But really there is no difference. I have a different job with the company, so I have different views. Most of the people on this site are drivers, so you all have basically the same view. My last post wasnt meant to be insulting to anyone. It was meant to have the OP stop and actually think about his/her environment. Union environments are usually anti company, which is normal. But for the OP to make the right decision, they would need to understand that idea.
That's a different tone from some of your other posts about how you like to make fun of drivers in other threads.

As much as you make fun of them, remember that without drivers, no need for mechanics. Ups wanted to outsource that at one time. In our local, we fought for the mechanics to be under our supplement because they were getting screwed years ago. We won that. A lot of drivers stuck up for them that's how.