PVD (beating a dead horse?)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
New as a PVD. Really didn't know a thing about this site and just happened across it today looking up UPS stuff. Today was day 1. Let me say... I wish I would have known about some stuff like how the union works beforehand...

Mainly 1 question as it seems sentiments have changed over time as I have been reading on here.

How do I keep in good graces with the drivers? A few, of course, look at me like a scab and I did not understand it until reading posts here. Some seem to treat you like a human. In reality I knew this was a foot in the door and a seasonal position. I know my job ends abruptly. I want to have a decent "marking" on my employment with UPS in the eventuality I may sign for a warehouse position. Rural deliveries had less than 40 stops, 70 miles. Using a small 4door sedan with the back seat gutted.

What's the best help a PVD can be to you regular employees without stepping on toes, and still make myself feel I've accomplished something for the day?
Run-gun! Get er' done! Leave everything at the mailbox, you don't have time for that :censored2:.

Iamsomebody

That’s where the money is, pickups. We’re a pickup company. No money is made on delivery.
What happens if what we pickup doesn't get delivered?
People pay us to pickup their packages so that they can be delivered. Effecient delivery is where the money is made. And that's not happening with a workforce consisting only of pvds.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
What happens if what we pickup doesn't get delivered?
People pay us to pickup their packages so that they can be delivered. Effecient delivery is where the money is made. And that's not happening with a workforce consisting only of pvds.
The money has already been paid to the shipper, who pays us. The delivery has to be efficient so the shipper will continue to use us. No money is made on deliveries, sorry.
We are paid to pick up, like you said.
Are people paying you when you deliver? No, because it’s already been paid to the shipper.
Did you ever get asked to get leads for deliveries? Lol
You don’t get paid unless shippers ship.

The money has already been paid to the shipper, who pays us. The delivery has to be efficient so the shipper will continue to use us. No money is made on deliveries, sorry.
We are paid to pick up, like you said.
Initial point being that unless there are more deliveries to pickup going forward, a large increase in income to UPS, then your job is not as secure as you'd hoped within the union if PVDs grow.

UnionStrong

Initial point being that unless there are more deliveries to pickup going forward, a large increase in income to UPS, then your job is not as secure as you'd hoped within the union if PVDs grow.
Let’s hope they don’t grow. They never should have been allowed. I’m retired so…

UnionStrong

Then deliver all your air late tomorrow. Delivery is the ultimate step in the service we provide.
They paid for the premium delivery, we got the money from the shipper, who got it from the customer for the product. Ttku. The delivery is the end result of the transaction.
When you order online who are you paying directly? When your package is delivered, are you paying again?

It’s part of the service. The shippers pay for it.
Point being it's paid for by the time it gets into UPS hands regardless if it's a day late or on time. The only real consequence is UPS not being used again for future transactions. Unless they have reinstated the next day air guarantee then UPS would fork over the shipping cost for speicifc items. So time sensitive material can still matter.

UnionStrong

Point being it's paid for by the time it gets into UPS hands regardless if it's a day late or on time. The only real consequence is UPS not being used again for future transactions.
Exactly. That’s why they want us to sniff out new shipping accounts.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I sadly hate to agree with you. I was with IBEW for 4 years and UFCW 951 union for a shorter period. The fact that UPS is allowed to hire people not recognized by UPS union regulations is a swift door to job loss for everyone.

I do not have the option to join the UPS union as a PVD. Let that sink in. Temporary employee or not, this spells disaster in the long run. I am not covered under your union doing the same job at a lower pay using my own property to do a good portion of the same job you do... Unless UPS plans to make some massive income from UPS drivers only picking up packages then your job is not as safe as you'd hope in the long run. All it would take is a union leadership that heads the wrong direction one time.

However, I get you don't want overtime every week. This is not how it should be done. That should be negotiated in a contract and more full time drivers hired.

I am to assume this PVD thing is something relatively new to UPS then? Or at least new to most areas?

How come you got fired from the IBEW?

How come you got fired from the IBEW?
I voluntarily left. Was my first job out of high school did 4 years of trade school paid for by my employer for ~3 years of work. This was in Florida and there's so many electricians competing for low wages it's not funny. In hindsight after escaping to the mountains I would surely have made a decent living out here, and may go back to complete my journeymans license in time. I guess technically I wasn't "in the union" for 2 years but still under their supervision till the minimum 144 hours was reached. Honestly don't regret it. Very :censored2:ty work and not where I saw myself later in life. A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one. Mis trust of people forces you to learn every skill of life.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I voluntarily left. Was my first job out of high school did 4 years of trade school paid for by my employer for ~3 years of work. This was in Florida and there's so many electricians competing for low wages it's not funny. In hindsight after escaping to the mountains I would surely have made a decent living out here, and may go back to complete my journeymans license in time. I guess technically I wasn't "in the union" for 2 years but still under their supervision till the minimum 144 hours was reached. Honestly don't regret it. Very :censored2:ty work and not where I saw myself later in life. A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one. Mis trust of people forces you to learn every skill of life.

Union Electrician is a better job than pkg driver