Question For Air Drivers With Daily Route

When do you enter ground rate? Any ground delivery? How many ground pieces picked up? On call ground pieces? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anybody so I'm wondering what justifies entering ground rate for others. Thanks

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When do you enter ground rate? Any ground delivery? How many ground pieces picked up? On call ground pieces? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anybody so I'm wondering what justifies entering ground rate for others. Thanks
Depends if it's exception air or not. If a regular FT driver has already picked up a place for the final time and you have an OCA, it's not ground rate. But usually any ground package "serviced", either delivered in your board or picked up in your board, qualifies for ground rate

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I would argue that delivering and picking up ground packages qualifies you for ground pay, however I would say that shuttling bulk or rerouting misloads should not...we lost 8 air jobs in our building because someone demanded ground pay for shuttling ground...if they can't keep you busy, they cut you out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would argue that delivering and picking up ground packages qualifies you for ground pay, however I would say that shuttling bulk or rerouting misloads should not...we lost 8 air jobs in our building because someone demanded ground pay for shuttling ground...if they can't keep you busy, they cut you out.
That argument was lost in some cases. For ex:, if you are picking up a letter box and it's jacked up with grounds, and the regular driver will not return - as an air driver you must pick them up. It was a concession made by the union iirc.

sortaisle

That's not a concession...that would be like turning away a customer who walks a package up to you on the street. To me, it's common sense. If they ask you to deliver ground that day or pickup a ground stop, ground pay. The letterbox thing to me is the same as the customer on the street. You grab the package and go about your day. You're still getting paid about $25 an hour which isn't too shabby for a cushy day of work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's not a concession...that would be like turning away a customer who walks a package up to you on the street. To me, it's common sense. If they ask you to deliver ground that day or pickup a ground stop, ground pay. The letterbox thing to me is the same as the customer on the street. You grab the package and go about your day. You're still getting paid about $25 an hour which isn't too shabby for a cushy day of work.
The language in the contract was clear and it was clearly not intended to pick up grounds, for air rate. It was a concession.

Ouch

Delivery of one ground package here entitles you to ground pay. Dont hold your breath waiting for the company to just pay you though.lol

sortaisle

Look...while the language may seem to trend towards if you touch a single ground package, you get ground pay, I'm here to say naw. It's not that rigid. It's there to say if they use you on route to deliver ground and to service ground pickups, you get ground pay. If a customer walks up to you while doing air stops and they hand you a ground package you take it. You don't turn them down and say you're just an air guy. And UPS didn't send you to pickup that persons package, it was random...they just walked up to you. Same with a letter box. No ground pay there. Shuttling misloads to other drivers shouldn't be ground pay either. It's busy work and you're not delivering. Gotta keep busy or they'll cut the job out and give the air route to an already overworked driver. It's happened many a times over here.