R.I.P. Gene Cernan

rod

Retired 22 years
The end of an era. I never did understand why we spent so much money getting there just to beat the Russians but then just abandoned it. I understand the International Space Station and all but you would have thought us building at least a small shack on the moon would have been in order. I have a clear memory of driving a UPS Ford Econoline over to Fargo one night and looking up at the moon and thinking "Gee--there are guys standing up there right now".

oldngray

nowhere special
49-photos-2241.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The end of an era. I never did understand why we spent so much money getting there just to beat the Russians but then just abandoned it. I understand the International Space Station and all but you would have thought us building at least a small shack on the moon would have been in order. I have a clear memory of driving a UPS Ford Econoline over to Fargo one night and looking up at the moon and thinking "Gee--there are guys standing up there right now".
Whenever I've been in Fargo I've thought "I hate my life right now"

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The Space Race was the political cover for the real race and that was the race for intercontinental missiles during the Cold War.
We're going back though, this time to pillage.
Google's lunar xprize has a a few companies planning launches soon to win their 20 million dollar 1st prize payout. Mining operations are supposedly the end game, possibly helium 3 for "clean" nuclear energy.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I recall politicians touting "clean coal" for a year or two, then finally admitting, OK, there's really no such thing as clean coal.

I live within a days drive of the Hanford reactor, which has had many leaks in the storage drums there for years. And the plant was shut down long ago. I know nothing about the helium 3 version of nuclear power. Is it actually clean? I wonder. I do know that I don't trust a word from power industry lobbyists in governmental positions or their paid congressmen anymore.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I recall politicians touting "clean coal" for a year or two, then finally admitting, OK, there's really no such thing as clean coal.

I live within a days drive of the Hanford reactor, which has had many leaks in the storage drums there for years. And the plant was shut down long ago. I know nothing about the helium 3 version of nuclear power. Is it actually clean? I wonder. I do know that I don't trust a word from power industry lobbyists in governmental positions or their paid congressmen anymore.
The blooming of a recent cynicist?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The blooming of a recent cynicist?

I'd like to think I'm a realist. But, that's what most thinking people want to believe.

I see there's a recent push to return to nuclear power as the answer to carbon emissions, but we haven't forgotten about the many meltdowns yet. And, no one wants leaking drums of radioactive waste in their backyard.