Boston Rally

yonnko

Did anyone watch or attend the Teamster rally in Boston? It was inspiring. They are talking a good game. This being my last contract I hope they walk the walk.

Thebrownblob

Did anyone watch or attend the Teamster rally in Boston? It was inspiring. They are talking a good game. This being my last contract I hope they walk the walk.
Interesting perspective from someone who must have quite a bit of seniority. I like Sean energy. Some people feel he’s over playing his hand

DriverNerd

Some people feel he’s over playing his hand
I agree with this somewhat. Obviously it's for publicity but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to get out the message about the issues. UPS will be all over the news too talking about our high pay and benefits. As long as he keeps using words like fair, harassment, essential, profits, COVID, etc hopefully this gains favor with the general public which should help us overall in negotiations.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Interesting perspective from someone who must have quite a bit of seniority. I like Sean energy. Some people feel he’s over playing his hand

Compared to the previous administrations…definitely a lot more energy.

Overplaying his hand…not really asking for much, he is just trying to get rid of previous concessionary language.

Study Carey’s first national contract in “93”.. I have a feeling that this contract will follow that agreement. Some improvement but do not expect any miracles.

It appears that certain members pension benefits will go up 400 or 500 a month at the end of 2023 or later. There will still be a major discrepancy between the membership’s pension benefits and retirees’ Heath and Welfare coverages.

The big battle will be with the Central and Southern Supplements and Riders. This Contract will eventually have to go through those
Agreements before the National Agreement.

Thebrownblob

Compared to the previous administrations…definitely a lot more energy.

Overplaying his hand…not really asking for much, he is just trying to get rid of previous concessionary language.

Study Carey’s first national contract in “93”.. I have a feeling that this contract will follow that agreement. Some improvement but do not expect any miracles.

It appears that certain members pension benefits will go up 400 or 500 a month at the end of 2023 or later. There will still be a major discrepancy between the membership’s pension benefits and retirees’ Heath and Welfare coverages.

The big battle will be with the Central and Southern Supplements and Riders. This Contract will eventually have to go through those
Agreements before the National Agreement.
I would agree that having a strategy is great, and is actually more than we’ve had for the last couple contacts. Although I question if the strategy is working. From the very beginning, I was not keen on negotiating supplements first, especially since there’s so many big issues in the national that need to be fixed before we even know what to do in the supplements. And up to this point, it looks like it failed. Hopefully at the end, I am proven wrong.

DELACROIX

I would agree that having a strategy is great, and is actually more than we’ve had for the last couple contacts. Although I question if the strategy is working. From the very beginning, I was not keen on negotiating supplements first, especially since there’s so many big issues in the national that need to be fixed before we even know what to do in the supplements. And up to this point, it looks like it failed. Hopefully at the end, I am proven wrong.

Just study the history our previous negotiations…you can count on the Company to stonewall, nothing new.

It is like everyone thinks that the Company and the Union has never thought about this Contract till 2023. Plans are already in place and have been since 2018 or earlier, this Pandemic did throw a monkey wrench into the works for both parties.

The deadline is set…maybe the Company is expecting help from Washington to extend the negotiations. They sure put a lot of money in that arena and maybe they are counting on a return🤔?

JustDeliverIt

I agree. I thought negotiating the local stuff was backwards and also am hopeful I’m proven wrong.

My only thought with having a laundry list of items is so that they can concede on some to get bigger wins over all. But everyone is going to have their own ideas on what they should step back on and what needs to be handled now.

I will say that I do like they seem to have a plan and seem to be willing to fight, something I haven’t seen in negotiations since I’ve worked here (this is my 4th contract). As members we have submitted proposals and now have to see where it goes. If we don’t like what is offered then our vote should reflect that.

DELACROIX

I agree. I thought negotiating the local stuff was backwards and also am hopeful I’m proven wrong.

My only thought with having a laundry list of items is so that they can concede on some to get bigger wins over all. But everyone is going to have their own ideas on what they should step back on and what needs to be handled now.

I will say that I do like they seem to have a plan and seem to be willing to fight, something I haven’t seen in negotiations since I’ve worked here (this is my 4th contract). As members we have submitted proposals and now have to see where it goes. If we don’t like what is offered then our vote should reflect that.

Correct on all terms… the problem is not with our leadership. Using an old adage “We have met the enemy and it is us!”. A lot of our senior members will throw others under the bus to get their own needs meet. That is why Carey never permitted a vote till after the strike. I was there, we had member’s wife's calling the Union hall demanding a vote during the strike.

Our Local has always been militant but when that strike was over our members ignored the
Local Leadership call to vote down their rider. Nobody listened, they were too eager to get back to work and get that retro check.

How many times over the years have we seen our members sell out others to advance themselves and the real problem now is that we expect it. (That is just the way it is)…The high ground is never taken when it is so convenient or advantageous to look the other way..

:soapbox:

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I saw it on the news.
It was in Local 25 Charlestown's parking lot.
Which isn't a large area.

ManInBrown

Supposedly a bunch of feeder drivers here are waiting for the new contract before they retire. But the thing is our pension already got bumped $300 per month Jan 1, so what’s the point of waiting? I’m genuinely curious what else could get better for someone waiting to retire if the pension already got bumped.

DELACROIX

Supposedly a bunch of feeder drivers here are waiting for the new contract before they retire. But the thing is our pension already got bumped $300 per month Jan 1, so what’s the point of waiting? I’m genuinely curious what else could get better for someone waiting to retire if the pension already got bumped.

Even if there is an improvement in their pension benefits, they may still have to wait till 2024 or later to qualify.