Racism rears its ugly head

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think you are if you think race is not a factor in college admissions. I think you need to venture out of the Midwest/South to gain some perspective.
But why should it be?

If it's a factor that's reverse discrimination to try and hit an arbitrary number.

Should a Asian or white with a 27 act and 3.9 gpa not get in over a black or Hispanic with a 19 and 3.2? Remove race from the application and guess who gets in?

That's called reverse discrimination

MAKAVELI

But why should it be?

If it's a factor that's reverse discrimination to try and hit an arbitrary number.

Should a Asian or white with a 27 act and 3.9 gpa not get in over a black or Hispanic with a 19 and 3.2? Remove race from the application and guess who gets in?

That's called reverse discrimination
Why ? Because it's been slanted in the other direction since this country was founded. That's why. And again, do you have actual test scores and grades of all applications to verify your assumptions?

Last edited:

Brownslave688

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/0...-policies-change-with-laws.html?referer=&_r=0

After California voters approved such a law, black and Hispanic freshman enrollment at the University of California system dropped by about one-quarter in 1998, the first year the ban was in effect. At the system’s most competitive campuses, in Berkeley and Los Angeles, enrollment for those groups fell by almost half.

In the years since, the system has tried several approaches to increase diversity without directly taking race into account, and the numbers eventually rose.

Black students accounted for just over 4 percent of University of California freshmen in the mid-1990s. That fell to 3 percent after the law took effect, and remained there for several years, before climbing close to 4 percent in recent years.

MAKAVELI

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...reme-court-review-of-admissions.html?referer=
“This is a very ominous sign that the court is about to destroy one of the most important avenues of equal opportunity in our society,” said Barmak Nassirian of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. “If they strike that, what they’re telling us is that all kinds of preferential admissions of legacies, athletes and celebrities are fine, but heaven help you if you’re trying to reflect the diversity of American society.”

Brownslave688

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...reme-court-review-of-admissions.html?referer=
“This is a very ominous sign that the court is about to destroy one of the most important avenues of equal opportunity in our society,” said Barmak Nassirian of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. “If they strike that, what they’re telling us is that all kinds of preferential admissions of legacies, athletes and celebrities are fine, but heaven help you if you’re trying to reflect the diversity of American society.”
This backs up what I'm saying. No?

MAKAVELI

This backs up what I'm saying. No?
It backs what I'm saying. That so called "STANDARDS" can and will be changed to whatever an institution decides on an individual or group basis. You might try looking beyond the numbers and realize your skin color has afforded you many more opportunities than someone of a darker complexion.

Brownslave688

It backs what I'm saying. That so called "STANDARDS" can and will be changed to whatever an institution decides on an individual or group basis. You might try looking beyond the numbers and realize your skin color has afforded you many more opportunities than someone of a darker complexion.

Affirmative action is exactly the OPPOSITE of this statement.

Like I said. Someone can't cry about wanting to be treated equally and in the next breath ask for special treatment.

MAKAVELI

Affirmative action is exactly the OPPOSITE of this statement.

Like I said. Someone can't cry about wanting to be treated equally and in the next breath ask for special treatment.
So we can agree that just because of the color of your skin or what circumstances you came in this world should not effect the opportunity of an education, right?

oldngray

nowhere special
The university probably promised the president another cushy job to slide over into if he would resign hoping the problems would go away.

Those protesters won't be satisfied because they also had a list of mostly unreasonable demands I doubt the university will agree to.

MAKAVELI

The university probably promised the president another cushy job to slide over into if he would resign hoping the problems would go away.

Those protesters won't be satisfied because they also had a list of mostly unreasonable demands I doubt the university will agree to.
Don't underestimate the power of the money that the sports programs bring to the University.;)

Brownslave688

MAKAVELI

Boo.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...er-strike-raises-fascinating-questions-110815

Great article on the absurdity of the situation.

Football players strike for 24 hours and the school president is fired. Pandora's box has just been opened.
Would you rather have the situation turned into something violent and ugly? I'd say these are some very smart young man who realize the power they had to make a difference without using violence as a means to protest.

Brownslave688

Would you rather have the situation turned into something violent and ugly? I'd say these are some very smart young man who realize the power they had to make a difference without using violence as a means to protest.
Why would it get violent that would be the protestors own doing.

All I'm saying is this is very bad for the future of college athletics. What if the 4 playoff teams this year decide to protest until they are paid to play the game?