Raise in new contract

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That being said, the last 4-5 years of inflation is historic, what type of raise would be needed to bring our wages to the spending power they had just 4 years ago?
CPI Inflation

4.7%

8.0%

2023*
5.8%
Someone with better math skills explain how that would translate to what our raises would need to be to keep up

I just took what I was making at the start of 2021 and increased it by inflation rates over the last three years. I'm about $4.50/hr short of keeping up, so that's the starting point of renewing buying power.
I hear this narrative a lot and it got me to wondering.... 🤔

Would the Company be just in arguing conversely that the years that our raises outpaced inflation be considered in this equation as well?

Anybody crunch that data over the past few decades, rather than just the past two years?

Would the Company be just in arguing conversely that the years that our raises outpaced inflation be considered in this equation as well?

Anybody crunch that data over the past few decades, rather than just the past two years?
Maybe earlier raises have marked up with inflation but the amount of money they pension plan and healthcare is way over the price of inflation

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

I mean, the general wage increase was 70 cents in 2001 and 70 cents in 2018.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I mean, the general wage increase was 70 cents in 2001 and 70 cents in 2018.
What was that percentage wise in regards to the raise verses the annual inflation rate for those years....and those years in between?

In other words, did it play out in any one year or more that the raise outpaced inflation?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What was that percentage wise in regards to the raise verses the annual inflation rate for those years....and those years in between?

In other words, did it play out in any one year or more that the raise outpaced inflation?
I believe top rate was around $32.30 in 2013 give or take. That would be $42.07 today. We're at $41.51 after getting $1.15 in COLA.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I believe top rate was around $32.30 in 2013 give or take. That would be $42.07 today. We're at $41.51 after getting $1.15 in COLA.
I'm closer to $42 now.
With the recent wage growth at places like McDonald's and Walmart I feel $45 for RPCD would be a fair bump, cover drivers $46.
Also would like to see bonus gone, because it is the opposite of a fair days work.

textat3

In local 639 DC/MD/VA we need a huge raise. Inflation is killing us here. Maybe there needs to be a COLA (cost of living adjustmen) for those living in pricey areas like DC metro. We would need about $65 and hour to live like guys do in Ohio and PA.

textat3

Sounds like you should move and commute
Sure so I can rack up miles on my car, spend more on gas, and turn my 12hr day into a 15 hour day. I just want to be paid fairly for my area. Govt and military pay more around here as well….tell someone you make 100g around here and they feel sorry for you.