Re: Union dues - Taxes

undies

Has anyone done the math as to how much we paid in Union dues last year? Going all out this year with deductions and I'm curious as to where I can find exactly how much was paid for the year. Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Make sure to include all of the money that you spent on uniform accessories that were not reimbursed, to include socks, boots, sneakers. I also write off $10/week for uniform maintenance. My total write offs, including union dues, were around $2K.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Make sure to include all of the money that you spent on uniform accessories that were not reimbursed, to include socks, boots, sneakers. I also write off $10/week for uniform maintenance. My total write offs, including union dues, were around $2K.
I have always used five for uniform maintenance, but 10 is more real.

Oak

They take our union dues out the 2nd paycheck of the month. I have to look at that one for December to get total dues. It's not on our last check of the year. (Is it because I'm paperless?)
There should be a YTD total on every stub.

clean hairy

Don't work related expenses have to exceed some % (I think 7.5% of your income) to be deductible?
And it is only the amount above the 7.5% that is deductible?
Possibly a person could ask their tax person about this?
Same thing with Medical expenses, only the amount above a certain % is deductible?
A person more knowleedgeable than me could make sure if this correct.

bluehdmc

There should be a YTD total on every stub.

Paperless has the only has the YTD if there was a deduction in that week. It seems if they don't take out the deduction in a pay period, (union dues, unemployment, etc.) there isn't an entry on the pay advice at all.

EasyTrucker

Just call the hall and ask for an end of year receipt of your union dues. That's what you would need to provide to the IRS if you were audited anyway, not a pay stub.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Don't work related expenses have to exceed some % (I think 7.5% of your income) to be deductible?
And it is only the amount above the 7.5% that is deductible?
Possibly a person could ask their tax person about this?
Same thing with Medical expenses, only the amount above a certain % is deductible?
A person more knowledgeable than me could make sure if this correct.
yes they do. I believe it is 7.5 also. But I also use less than half of my cell phone bill, an arguable point to many. But 95% of my phone use is for business. I also use laundry and write off my boots, shoes, gloves, toe warmers, under armor, or anything you use for work. I have under armor for home time, I dont use, I only wear the brown and white for work. I also claim the window cleaner, I use for my windows, they throw it away, I buy more. And the paper towels, and the window scraper and brush. You know how much your dues are x12.
And yes medical expenses are 7.5% of your gross, hard to meet unless you paid off major amounts because of a serious illness, or you pay for your own healthcare.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
yes they do. I believe it is 7.5 also. But I also use less than half of my cell phone bill, an arguable point to many. But 95% of my phone use is for business. I also use laundry and write off my boots, shoes, gloves, toe warmers, under armor, or anything you use for work. I have under armor for home time, I dont use, I only wear the brown and white for work. I also claim the window cleaner, I use for my windows, they throw it away, I buy more. And the paper towels, and the window scraper and brush. You know how much your dues are x12.
And yes medical expenses are 7.5% of your gross, hard to meet unless you paid off major amounts because of a serious illness, or you pay for your own healthcare.
Same her TT, write off everything i use for work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cellphone may be a tough one to justify.