Ready to Strike?

Whither

Scofflaw
When, who and how did those “No Strike Clauses” get into our Contracts?

Was it right after the “97” strike... old enough to remember those occasional 24 hour strike notifications pinned to the Union Bulletin Boards back in the 90’s...

Good question. I know the CIO unions included no strike clauses more or less right from their beginnings in the late 1930s. @BigUnionGuy do you know when our contracts, with UPS or any other employer, got saddled with no strike clauses, e.g, Article 8 Section 2 NMA and Article 5 Central?

Whither

Scofflaw
Yes for wildcat strike

But we can't afford to give up the right to strike it out contract expires
Still a bit of confusion here. A wildcat is a strike not authorized by the union.

Article 8 Section 2 NMA, and Article 5 of my supplement, the Central, severely limits our ability to strike, engage in slowdowns, walkouts, and the like while the contract remains in effect. This becomes a problem when the grievance procedure isn't working, including simply that it is riddled with delays when the company deadlocks grieves every step of the way. As a brotherhood we need to have the right to take matters into our hands -- when we decide the company has crossed the line.

Last edited:
Still a bit of confusion here. A wildcat is a strike not authorized by the union.

Article 8 Section 2 NMA, and Article 5 of my supplement, the Central, severely limits our ability to strike, engage in slowdowns, walkouts, and the like while the contract remains in effect. This becomes a problem when the grievance procedure isn't working, including simply that it is riddled with delays when the company deadlocks grieves every step of the way. As a brotherhood we need to have the right to take matters into our hands -- when we decide the company has crossed the line.
While under contract you can't strike when the contract is expired and you don't have a new one, they can't stop you from striking

Whither

Scofflaw
While under contract you can't strike when the contract is expired and you don't have a new one, they can't stop you from striking
No one's suggested the latter. The problem remains: how can we enforce any contract in a timely fashion when the company deadlocks grieves into arbitration? And when you hear the IBT doesn't trust arbitration (quite rightly, I would add), then it seems the grievance procedure is broken. The company doesn't respect the contract, or the Teamsters, because we have signed away our most important rights. Being able to strike, walkout, etc would grant us the ability to bring the company to heel for the duration of any contract.

No one's suggested the latter. The problem remains: how can we enforce any contract in a timely fashion when the company deadlocks grieves into arbitration? And when you hear the IBT doesn't trust arbitration (quite rightly, I would add), then it seems the grievance procedure is broken. The company doesn't respect the contract, or the Teamsters, because we have signed away our most important rights. Being able to strike, walkout, etc would grant us the ability to bring the company to heel for the duration of any contract.
No argument from me on that. Hopefully this will get addressed next year.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No one's suggested the latter. The problem remains: how can we enforce any contract in a timely fashion when the company deadlocks grieves into arbitration? And when you hear the IBT doesn't trust arbitration (quite rightly, I would add), then it seems the grievance procedure is broken.

It's a game the company has always tried to play.

"What the Company can't get in negotiations.... they try and get thru the grievance procedure."

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

"What the Company can't get in negotiations.... they try and get thru the grievance procedure."

Remember after the “97” strike the Company came back with a reason not to create those 22.3 positions claiming they lost volume as an exemption. Lucky for us the Arbitrator sided with the Union.

We did have that 1 day strike in 1994 over the 150 pound weight limit, it was sponsored by Carey...was that a technically “wild cat”?

Years ago we had L804 drivers walk out over a firing of a steward, the Company fired then all. They got back to work but they suffered lost wages. Companies now can sue Unions over revenue lost when there is a wild cat, our local was sued for one in the mid 70’s...

That is why we need to improved language at the negotiating table that is not subject to interpretation. It says that and that is what it is, there is no wiggy way with the meaning.

Another question is will the rank and file be willing to lose wages or risk termination over misdeeds done to an individual or work group. We all know that answer unfortunately. Apathy has created a lot of Me-Firsts and to hell with the mistreated brother or sister, we have different classifications trying to get a bigger piece of the pie by stepping over others that are not on these panels or in power. The Company just sits back and enjoys the clown show pointing at it and seeing the hypocrisy of it in order to take full advantage.

Whither

Scofflaw

BINGO. I've had enough of sitting back and watching the company do as it pleases on issues like subcontracting, the Lytx cameras, permanently altering paycodes to code 05/pay actual.

Whither

Scofflaw
We did have that 1 day strike in 1994 over the 150 pound weight limit, it was sponsored by Carey...was that a technically “wild cat”?
Normally wildcats mean a strike not sanctioned by the union. If I recall correctly, the company tried to sue the IBT and involved local unions over those weight limit strikes? But did the company win?
Years ago we had L804 drivers walk out over a firing of a steward, the Company fired then all. They got back to work but they suffered lost wages. Companies now can sue Unions over revenue lost when there is a wild cat, our local was sued for one in the mid 70’s...

Yep that story comes up here from time to time. A great example of how no-strike clauses hamstring us. An act of solidarity has you begging for your job.
Another question is will the rank and file be willing to lose wages or risk termination over misdeeds done to an individual or work group. We all know that answer unfortunately. Apathy has created a lot of Me-Firsts and to hell with the mistreated brother or sister, we have different classifications trying to get a bigger piece of the pie by stepping over others that are not on these panels or in power. The Company just sits back and enjoys the clown show pointing at it and seeing the hypocrisy of it in order to take full advantage.

I have similar doubts, in general. But at times I've seen some potential in my building (and my particular center). Getting rid of no-strike clauses will require a strike in 2023. For that reason alone I hope we're on the picket line. While strikes are painful, and one next year would no doubt cause plenty of controversy in our own ranks, I don't see a better chance to rekindle strength in the brotherhood and stop the "clown show" from carrying on. Unions were not won thanks to grievance procedures, and they cannot be saved from their long, slow demise by grievance procedures.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Normally wildcats mean a strike not sanctioned by the union. If I recall correctly, the company tried to sue the IBT and involved local unions over those weight limit strikes? But did the company win?

Yep that story comes up here from time to time. A great example of how no-strike clauses hamstring us. An act of solidarity has you begging for your job.

I have similar doubts, in general. But at times I've seen some potential in my building (and my particular center). Getting rid of no-strike clauses will require a strike in 2023. For that reason alone I hope we're on the picket line. While strikes are painful, and one next year would no doubt cause plenty of controversy in our own ranks, I don't see a better chance to rekindle strength in the brotherhood and stop the "clown show" from carrying on. Unions were not won thanks to grievance procedures, and they cannot be saved from their long, slow demise by grievance procedures.

If it doesn't happen this CONTRACT.... it will never happen!

Every Major Union in America and overseas is watching and more than willing to lend a hand...and that is a hell of a lot of angry people. Once the public discovers how our corporate management teams have been stuffing their own personal pension trusts while denying or fighting the increases in our Union members' pension plans.

:cigarsmoker:

rod

Retired 22 years
6B6FB3B7-2E9D-43B1-B1DF-32108F232D25.jpeg