Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsam

Staff member
Somebody fetch Sir Leigh Teabing (of DaVinci Code fame) a chair and a glass of water as this is going to butter his biscuits. ;)

Why the Smart Money Is on the Gospel of Jesus’s Wife Being a Forgery
Not to stir things up, but...

upload_2016-1-23_8-10-25.jpeg

bbsam

Staff member
For those that don't care, then why are you even in this thread to begin with? Why would you even open this thread when the strong chances are, you care nothing about the content?

Or is this just tribal peer pressure to control thought and thus speech?
Neither. I'm wondering what the bigger point is about the forgery. Or is there a bigger point? Why would it matter if Jesus was married or not? It is in that context that I ask "Who the he'll cares?"

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If Jesus was married then maybe priests would be allowed to marry. It would give them more insight when marriage counseling.
Might even prevent some more child abuse.

wkmac

Neither. I'm wondering what the bigger point is about the forgery. Or is there a bigger point? Why would it matter if Jesus was married or not? It is in that context that I ask "Who the he'll cares?"

Obviously to you it doesn't but then does it thus follow that everyone else who visits this thread feels the same? I would remind you this thread has 500 plus replies, most of those are from probably less than 20 people yet the thread itself has nearly 10k views.

Just because something is posted doesn't mean it was posted for you nor was it even intended to suggest you might be interested. Fact is, in your case, I assumed the opposite and seems my assumption was correct.

I've read 1000's of threads on BC and yet I've not posted or responded to a majority of them. Only those I found of interest to me or worth while did I post or respond. Why would I come over to the FedEx threads and post comments like, "Why does it mater?" or "Who cares?"

bbsam

Staff member
If Jesus was married then maybe priests would be allowed to marry. It would give them more insight when marriage counseling.
I don't think the priests are forbidden from marrying based on Jesus' marital status. I think that practice didn't begin until the middle ages and probably has more to do with Paul's writings.

bbsam

Staff member
Obviously to you it doesn't but then does it thus follow that everyone else who visits this thread feels the same? I would remind you this thread has 500 plus replies, most of those are from probably less than 20 people yet the thread itself has nearly 10k views.

Just because something is posted doesn't mean it was posted for you nor was it even intended to suggest you might be interested. Fact is, in your case, I assumed the opposite and seems my assumption was correct.

I've read 1000's of threads on BC and yet I've not posted or responded to a majority of them. Only those I found of interest to me or worth while did I post or respond. Why would I come over to the FedEx threads and post comments like, "Why does it mater?" or "Who cares?"
You are missing the subtler point. I am actually interested in why this would become what appears to be a hotly contested topic. I don't care if it's a forgery or not but I do care about the intensity of a debate that seems odd to me.

wkmac

The question of Jesus life has always been an interesting one. There are even traditions in India he survived the crucifixion, came to India with wife and child and is even buried there with the actual grave being venerated. Along with the the disciple Thomas who tradition has going to India after the death of Jesus.

There were European christian sects who believed Jesus married and had children in similar manner to Dan Brown's version in the Da Vinci Code as well as gnostic traditions on the early centuries after Jesus that also proclaimed he was married and that his wife held a special place of authority.

Why are we afraid to look at them? Doesn't mean they are true nor do we have to accept them as such. If anything, Dr. Carrier's conclusion support the orthodox position as such books were deemed heretical and thus excluded from cannon tradition.

As for the priests of the Church being unmarried, that is a very old tradition found in many religious traditions that even date back well beyond Christianity. What is the history of that? Why did humans develop such traditions? Or are those just "who cares" questions again?

wkmac

You are missing the subtler point. I am actually interested in why this would become what appears to be a hotly contested topic. I don't care if it's a forgery or not but I do care about the intensity of a debate that seems odd to me.

Why do you assume it is hotly contested? Outside of circles of scholarship and the Da Vinci Code movie, I hear it rarely discussed at all and likely the reason you felt justified in exclaiming, "Who Cares".

bbsam

Staff member
Why do you assume it is hotly contested? Outside of circles of scholarship and the Da Vinci Code movie, I hear it rarely discussed at all and likely the reason you felt justified in exclaiming, "Who Cares".
Judging by the language of the article, seems fairly strongly worded with some "colorful" language. I assumed that would be hotly debated for scholarly writings.

wkmac

I agree some of the language was unnecessary but the larger question concerning an ancient text that orthodoxy already casts aside seems to me a topic of historical interest for some. Maybe a very small minority even. I would accept that as likely true.

newfie

For those that don't care, then why are you even in this thread to begin with? Why would you even open this thread when the strong chances are, you care nothing about the content?

Or is this just tribal peer pressure to control thought and thus speech?

we were hoping for a positive thread instead of the same old hate trip

wkmac

Why would you assume that to begin with?

Had that been so, I would have titled the thread different.

Status
Not open for further replies.