RETIRED!

rod

Retired 22 years
When my neighbor retired he got a job as an in state tour bus driver. He got to go to all the big time sporting events (Twins-Vikings-T-Wolves etc), concerts, trade shows and tourist attractions--- all part of the job. His company always had a ticket for him (and his wife if she wanted to go). As with anything else he got tired of it after about 5 years and went "super part time" -- meaning he only drove to events he personally was interest in. He still does that a half a dozen times a year.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Got offered a school bus driver job on the spot my last day, but I can't imagine ever doing that. I'd have to be pretty hungry. First thing I'm gonna enjoy just being st home, I love being at home. Gardening, some repair work on our house and tinkering on our travel trailer. My "job" if you can call it that is now writing, which I enjoy. Planning on at least one book a year, all fiction, unless I release my tell all UPS notes :-D
We both love travel, considering the Painted Desert this fall when all the families have done their summer trips and the parks have more spaces to park in.
sounds like a good plan. once in awhile i'll run into a retiree. they usually say it was great for the first 6 months and then they went got a ft/pt job cause they were so bored.

I'm afraid that will be my dilemma since i'll have to give up stripping soon.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
winner winner chicken dinner......Charlie sheen

Another thing I've been interested in but never really taken time to enjoy is stargazing. Looking at some options considering telescopes.
Also anxious to start working out again. As seemingly active as the job seems to outsiders, it's just not enough to offset the late night dinners I've had for decades. It's funny, not in a good way, how your body will get used to your routine and your muscle tone will get spongy.
So, there's 2 more to add to the list.

rod

Retired 22 years
sounds like a good plan. once in awhile i'll run into a retiree. they usually say it was great for the first 6 months and then they went got a ft/pt job cause they were so bored.

UPS retires have a good work ethic so when they do retire some of them (those without fulltime hobbies or outside interests) look for someway else to kill a day. If you retire early enough and still have your health you can't just sit around the house all day. Its amazing but there are jobs out there that are fun. My little handyman job for my local township is a case in point. I come and go as I please. There are never any last minute deadlines of work other than the cemetery HAS to be mowed a couple of days before Memorial day. Otherwise I set my own hours and work when I want to. I probably only average 5 to 10 hours a week depending on what time of year it is.. I get paid 20 bucks an hour to ride around on a cool $10,000 zero turn John Deere mower to mow the cemetery, park, ball field and around the town hall.. I also use the job as an excuse to disappear from the house for awhile (not that I really need an excuse) but its just easier to say "I'm going to the town hall for awhile" than it is to say I'm going to go screw off for awhile and I'm not sure what that will involve or when I will be back. Also the wife understands that the $$$$$ I earn at this job are mine to use for what ever toys or worthless crap I want.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You could strip for the homeless and help out people in need.
It doesn't always have to be paying job.

Driveslayer

26 years in full time driving. In my low 50's. Route tightened 1 hour 55 minutes over past few years. Get ojs rides and lectures constantly, but never get warning letter. On ojs rides I'm way over and told by on roads I did a great job. Why do they do still harass me? Because Division Manager tells on roads sups they performed a very poor ojs ride and to keep riding his(me) butt until he runs scratch!! I have absolutely no respect for DM. I've never met him and he's never been on my route. Sorry to get off track, but less then 5 years to retirement unless I meet DM in person!

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Well technically on vacay for several hard earned weeks, but free at last none the least. What a great feeling to be through with all the B.S.
Started as a car washer, then air driver, then FT ground. Started sheeting on paper in an unlocked car center that was all driver sort and load (18 to 20 rts daily) with only 2 mgmt folks. Never had to eff around with Orion except for rah rah speech from visiting
mgmt royalty.
Now we've shrunk to 14 to 16 rts and headed to 12 to 13 rts with Orion's promised higher stop counts and increased fatigue and wear and tear on the drivers. So that's a change thru my years here, of mgmt to driver ratio from 1 mgmt to 10 drivers, to 1 mgmt to 2 drivers! Soon they'll have assigned each person their own handler! What a plan!
I've seen a lot of changes, almost all have raised stop counts and made servicing customers actually harder. It's saved UPS millions, they say, and I'm sure it's true on many counts. The truth as we all know it to be though, is that the hourly workforce will again be asked, coerced, intimidated, forced and harassed into making The Machine perform better on paper than it ever does in The Real World.
I will miss my customers and all of my co-workers, hourly and immediate mgmt both, all really good people trying their best to make it through the gauntlet we all must run daily. I will NOT miss the Division Mgrs, the Region Presidents, the CEO, CFO and the lot of people who have chosen to disconnect themselves from Jim Casey's vision and dedication to his people. What a circus this has become.
Congrats sir! It's been exactly a year for me! I was able to avoid Orion as well. Just keep up an exersise regiment and you'll love it!

rod

Retired 22 years
26 years in full time driving. In my low 50's. Route tightened 1 hour 55 minutes over past few years. Get ojs rides and lectures constantly, but never get warning letter. On ojs rides I'm way over and told by on roads I did a great job. Why do they do still harass me? Because Division Manager tells on roads sups they performed a very poor ojs ride and to keep riding his(me) butt until he runs scratch!! I have absolutely no respect for DM. I've never met him and he's never been on my route. Sorry to get off track, but less then 5 years to retirement unless I meet DM in person!

You seem to have the system (game) figured out. If you do meet the DM and go ballistic give him one for me. I don't even know which one you talking about but they are all made in the same mold--so go for it.

TBH

Retirees, especially those who are 5 or more years removed, may not be up to speed on the changes in the operations portion of the business so perhaps they should refrain from posting on those threads.

Stories from a UPS that no longer exists serve little to no purpose.
Mr. Upstate, I beg to dis-agree. A lot of the posts that kept me going to retirement were from retirees that were ahead of me. We can't restrict involvement on this site, that's part of what makes it great! Believe it or not, retirees have a lot to add here, and many including myself still keep up with the goings on in this company, we have the time to do the research. My Dad is a 30 year retiree of GE and still has a lot to add to the current situation there. As he is, I am still a stockholder of the company I worked for and have the right and a certain obligation to weigh in. What ever happened to experience brings wisdom. The way UPS is headed, they need all the old school opinions they can get!

TBH

Back when I retired I grew my beard and about 2 months later I went to the Center and they told me I looked like PaPa Smurf. I knew it was time to shave!
I couldn't grow a beard if I tried. I did once on our honeymoon, new Wife wanted me too. Looked like the old man and the sea! Never again!

TBH

congrats dude. dont listen to any haters here please and keep posting around here, gives me hope because im not even close to retiring and i need to hear guys like you very consistently so i dont get depressed that i still have 20 plus left! congrats and enjoy yourself!
Keep fighting for yourself, you will be retiring one day yourself. Certain other members on here do seem to be out of touch, and only think in 2 dimensions.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Mr. Upstate, I beg to dis-agree. A lot of the posts that kept me going to retirement were from retirees that were ahead of me. We can't restrict involvement on this site, that's part of what makes it great! Believe it or not, retirees have a lot to add here, and many including myself still keep up with the goings on in this company, we have the time to do the research. My Dad is a 30 year retiree of GE and still has a lot to add to the current situation there. As he is, I am still a stockholder of the company I worked for and have the right and a certain obligation to weigh in. What ever happened to experience brings wisdom. The way UPS is headed, they need all the old school opinions they can get!
Wait a minute.

Think this through.

Upstate is close to retirement....

There may be something to this, "Retirees shouldn't post," business.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
why 5 years? should be only a couple. get out while you can. get out alive!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I got out pre Orion, part coincidence and part intentionally. I got the lectures, I got rides. I could have stayed, but decided what I might gain in retirement contributions, I was losing at living a normal life on the outside.
Our Region President came to visit along with District and Division mgrs, to give us our Orion primer.
The Pres mentioned how we'd all been "trained to make LEFT turns"
and how Orion would change all that. Ok....
So obviously they're out of touch beyond anything resembling real and now only rely on a report full of decimal points to guide them.
People who used to manage us had done at least some time in the drivers seat. I think that's all in the past, and just another reason I got out.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yep I started at 22. Feel your pain.
I started P/T at 20, went driving at 21, so I will have to do 30 years in order to reach PEER 80. The last 4 retirements in my building have actually been people with less seniority than me. The flip side to all that is that I will be younger when I retire and get a larger pension due to putting more years in.