Retirement...contract talks

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Well the central is toast but I think mine will be there. It's currently funded at 95% or something like that. So even with no new money or growth 95% of what I've earned will be there.
Don't believe that 95% number.

Technically it is more like 81%, but the government uses a different formula sort of like the unemployment numbers.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Maybe you should go back to teaching 4th graders and leave the more complicated math, and 401K investing, to the big boys.

The amount of money that your employer contributes to your 401K is not a percentage of the amount you contribute. It is a percentage of your gross wages.

You say that if you max your contributions to $18000 for the year, that the employer contribution will be 6% of $18000. Incorrect. It is 6% of your gross wages.

I'll keep math simple for you 4th graders.

An employee grosses $100K. In order to max his 401K, he contributes 18%

This gives him $18K contributed to his 401K. So what is the employers contribution, assuming a matching contribution up to 6%

This is 2nd grade math. It would be 6% (max) of $100K, or $6000.

So the total 401K contribution for this year would be $24K.

And yes, the max is $18K for your portion. With the employers matching contributions, you can go over that $18K limit.

Maybe you should go back to summer school yourself.
Most drivers don't make $100K a year.

Only us nutjobs that stay out until 7pm or later do.

So in my center, that would mean 80% of the drivers make $90K or less.

Some even make less than $75K.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Most drivers don't make $100K a year.

Only us nutjobs that stay out until 7pm or later do.

So in my center, that would mean 80% of the drivers make $90K or less.

Some even make less than $75K.

I know. I was just making the math simple. Easier to calculate 6% of $100K in your head than it is to calculate 6% of $75K.

At $75K, the 6% match would be $4500 per year.

My point was that the 6% match is 6% of your gross wages, not 6% of your contribution portion into the 401K.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know. I was just making the math simple. Easier to calculate 6% of $100K in your head than it is to calculate 6% of $75K.

At $75K, the 6% match would be $4500 per year.

My point was that the 6% match is 6% of your gross wages, not 6% of your contribution portion into the 401K.

Good job at explaining it simply. Its not that complicated. People don't need to over think it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've told him half a dozen times.

It's obviously not being grasped.

Perhaps it is you who needs to read up on how a 401k match works.

When a company offers a 401k match, it means that they will match dollar for dollar your contribution up to a certain percentage.

For example, if the company does start to offer a 6% match, it means that it will match dollar for dollar your contributions, up to 6%. The key here is that you must set aside at least 6% to receive the full 6% match. If you only set aside 4% you will only receive a 4% match.

oldngray

nowhere special
One would assume someone would take full advantage of a 6% match. Its possible someone wouldn't but that is like giving up free money. A possible scenario but not what you would expect to see.

Future

Victory Ride
Dave, it's hard to imagine why any woman would divorce you. You're such a sympathetic, caring man
image.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Maybe you should go back to teaching 4th graders and leave the more complicated math, and 401K investing, to the big boys.

The amount of money that your employer contributes to your 401K is not a percentage of the amount you contribute. It is a percentage of your gross wages.

You say that if you max your contributions to $18000 for the year, that the employer contribution will be 6% of $18000. Incorrect. It is 6% of your gross wages.

I'll keep math simple for you 4th graders.

An employee grosses $100K. In order to max his 401K, he contributes 18%

This gives him $18K contributed to his 401K. So what is the employers contribution, assuming a matching contribution up to 6%

This is 2nd grade math. It would be 6% (max) of $100K, or $6000.

So the total 401K contribution for this year would be $24K.

And yes, the max is $18K for your portion. With the employers matching contributions, you can go over that $18K limit.

Maybe you should go back to summer school yourself.
Thank you.

Felt like I was on an island yesterday.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Perhaps it is you who needs to read up on how a 401k match works.

When a company offers a 401k match, it means that they will match dollar for dollar your contribution up to a certain percentage.

For example, if the company does start to offer a 6% match, it means that it will match dollar for dollar your contributions, up to 6%. The key here is that you must set aside at least 6% to receive the full 6% match. If you only set aside 4% you will only receive a 4% match.
Yeah no :censored2:.

Most of us understand the word MATCH!!!!

Look I can be a dick too. Your second paragraph is not true. Not all matches are 100% dollar for dollar matched. Until recently in fact a majority of plans were considered 50% match.