retirement crisis in america

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
An article about the fiduciary duty and the high fees of some retirement brokerage houses and banks. Not sure what you're aiming at but most 401K fees are far far below a regular IRA managment fee is and they both have to do what's best for the investor, not themselves.

The crisis isn't the fact people are getting screwed because of fees or bad investments, it's because people don't invest in the first place.

rickyb

An article about the fiduciary duty and the high fees of some retirement brokerage houses and banks. Not sure what you're aiming at but most 401K fees are far far below a regular IRA managment fee is and they both have to do what's best for the investor, not themselves.

The crisis isn't the fact people are getting screwed because of fees or bad investments, it's because people don't invest in the first place.

its a high quality 1 hour documentary, and it is in part about what you mentioned, but also about the sorry state of american's retirement money under capitalism.

americans dont invest because the middle class is almost wiped out...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
its a high quality 1 hour documentary, and it is in part about what you mentioned, but also about the sorry state of american's retirement money under capitalism.

americans dont invest because the middle class is almost wiped out...
No, the middle class don't invest because they are to busy trying to be upper class on a middle class budget. The lower class don't have money to invest with in the first place so it's a moot point. The reason majority of rich people get rich is they spend less than they make.

Barring folks well below poverty level, most everyone has expendable income or has the ability to make more by working more or getting better jobs. I've been at the very bottom, made bad choices, paid a price to get to where I'm at financially. I'm still in accumulation mode and do what I can to make sure I'm never in that situation again. I choose to give up some things in order to save for later.

Life is all about choices, thank god we live in a country that has the most freedom to make them, be it stupid or otherwise.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement-gamble/

canada not so great either

come at me defenders of capitalism....

this is why workers should vote within their jobs on how to run their job. we let a handful of people (boards of directors) make the decisions, and they decided in their best interest!
How about each individual take responsibility for their own retirement and quit thinking their employer should.

Brownslave688

You're not a very good Union member are you?
There are things I'm a very good Union member about. Like following the contract.

There are things other members probably think I should be tarred and feathered for. Like retirement and right to work.

rickyb

No, the middle class don't invest because they are to busy trying to be upper class on a middle class budget. The lower class don't have money to invest with in the first place so it's a moot point. The reason majority of rich people get rich is they spend less than they make.

Barring folks well below poverty level, most everyone has expendable income or has the ability to make more by working more or getting better jobs. I've been at the very bottom, made bad choices, paid a price to get to where I'm at financially. I'm still in accumulation mode and do what I can to make sure I'm never in that situation again. I choose to give up some things in order to save for later.

Life is all about choices, thank god we live in a country that has the most freedom to make them, be it stupid or otherwise.

just because somebody tells you your "free" doesnt mean you are, especially if its the government, its usually the opposite of what they tell you. people are far more free in the european countries than america. what you said was probably true 40 years ago, but at present no way.

50% of americans are either in poverty, near it, or just above it.

automation, "free trade", immigration, and women entering the workforce have put a downward pressure on wages in america. its important to remember that in the 1950s, 1 unionized wage earner could support a whole family with no debt. now everyone is working, and in debt.

this "right to work" rhetoric is the right to bust unions which is a right to push wages down down down....

Brownslave688

just because somebody tells you your "free" doesnt mean you are, especially if its the government, its usually the opposite of what they tell you. people are far more free in the european countries than america. what you said was probably true 40 years ago, but at present no way.

50% of americans are either in poverty, near it, or just above it.

automation, "free trade", immigration, and women entering the workforce have put a downward pressure on wages in america. its important to remember that in the 1950s, 1 unionized wage earner could support a whole family with no debt. now everyone is working, and in debt.

this "right to work" rhetoric is the right to bust unions which is a right to push wages down down down....
You don't have a clue.

Europe is more free than us? Lol

50% in poverty? Not a chance.

This isn't 1940 anymore. There's a little thing called global trade. This means you're no longer competing with bob from next door for a job. You're competeing with Ching lee who will work for $5 a day. We at ups are very lucky that to this point they haven't figured out how to outsource our jobs.

Don't even get me started on people putting theirselves in debt. That's a personal choice as to the lifestyle they live.

rickyb

You don't have a clue.

Europe is more free than us? Lol

50% in poverty? Not a chance.

This isn't 1940 anymore. There's a little thing called global trade. This means you're no longer competing with bob from next door for a job. You're competeing with Ching lee who will work for $5 a day. We at ups are very lucky that to this point they haven't figured out how to outsource our jobs.

Don't even get me started on people putting theirselves in debt. That's a personal choice as to the lifestyle they live.

talk is cheap. back it up with some articles or something.

america's unemployment stats are fudged; reagan and clinton changed the way its calculated to magically drop the unemployment number. like if ur say "your not looking for work (because you've given up trying to find a job)" ur not counted as umemployed. if your part time earning minimum wage your employed.

40.28% of all workers make less than $20,000 a year in America today. heres the link: http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2011

and im pretty sure 50% of americans earn less than $15/hr. which puts them just above the poverty line and goes with what i said above. Believe that!

europe is more free because in most countries they dont have to do debt peonage to pay off student loans of which america is #1 in costs to go to college. why? debt is a way of social control + they are in the process of privatizing and corporatizing the education system in usa.

europeans also get 5-6 weeks or more guaranteed vacation a year. its not left to the "market" where in america workers typically get 2 weeks or 3 if they are lucky.

the healthcare system is a total joke in america: only country not to have healthcare as a right. medical bankruptcy is also the #1 reason for bankruptcy in america. i dont call that debt by "choice" haha.

europeans have maternity leave. america has none.

theres a long list. america is so :censored2:ed up because they destroyted their left wing in ww1 and 1950s, and they have the most violent labor struggles of developed countries.

talk is cheap. back it up with some articles or something.

america's unemployment stats are fudged; reagan and clinton changed the way its calculated to magically drop the unemployment number. like if ur say "your not looking for work (because you've given up trying to find a job)" ur not counted as umemployed. if your part time earning minimum wage your employed.

40.28% of all workers make less than $20,000 a year in America today. heres the link: http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2011

and im pretty sure 50% of americans earn less than $15/hr. which puts them just above the poverty line and goes with what i said above. Believe that!

europe is more free because in most countries they dont have to do debt peonage to pay off student loans of which america is #1 in costs to go to college. why? debt is a way of social control + they are in the process of privatizing and corporatizing the education system in usa.

europeans also get 5-6 weeks or more guaranteed vacation a year. its not left to the "market" where in america workers typically get 2 weeks or 3 if they are lucky.

europeans have maternity leave. america has none.

theres a long list. america is so :censored2:ed up because they destroyted their left wing in ww1 and 1950s, and they have the most violent labor struggles of developed countries.
Look at Greece. nuff said.