Right Hand Rule Gone for good?

Packmule

Just got set up on Orion last week. Cannot believe they really expect us to mole all those unnecessary left turns. How long till the tier III accident kill this turkey? No way they should have implimented this program till it can recognize even an odd patterns to reduce left turns!

UPSGUY72

Just got set up on Orion last week. Cannot believe they really expect us to mole all those unnecessary left turns. How long till the tier III accident kill this turkey? No way they should have implimented this program till it can recognize even an odd patterns to reduce left turns!

The right turn rules has been gone for years. They not worried about you sitting waiting for a red light anymore they worried about a saving a couple miles so they can save a buck or two on gas even if it means they pay you 1 or 2 hrs of OT at $50 + hr doing it. Makes no sense but I don't get paid to question there stupidity and as long as they still willing to pay my OT to drive around in circles all day who cares.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We had a driver who refused to make those turns because it causes him to go across busy roads several times a day. He pleaded his case and said it was unsafe to do to so. Our on car agreed and they now have it set up so that he makes less left turns and crosses busy streets less. Who knows, maybe you can do the same by explaining your side.

ManInBrown

I follow Orion STOP FOR STOP. The only time I deviate is if NDA service is in jeopardy, or to make sure a business SAVER isn't late. I then immediately get right back on trace. My bank account and 401K love Orion. I'm not paid to make decisions. It's there world. I'm just living in it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My trainer, told me they studied the fact and after years of banging, only go right, the orion machine days go left all day. It saves miles, but it increases our day, and no one cares til they want to b**ch about over allow. And they dont listen to our side..

porkwagon

The right turn rules has been gone for years. They not worried about you sitting waiting for a red light anymore they worried about a saving a couple miles so they can save a buck or two on gas even if it means they pay you 1 or 2 hrs of OT at $50 + hr doing it. Makes no sense but I don't get paid to question there stupidity and as long as they still willing to pay my OT to drive around in circles all day who cares.
A buck or two on gas is a factor but not the only factor I think. I think it's about mileage, and all the wear and tear that go with it. Plus perhaps insurance issues. And who knows what else.

porkwagon

I've been on ORION for over two years now and have adjusted. I've been at the job a long time and have come accustomed to adjusting to changing conditions over the years. I keep the DIAD screen on odo, and try to follow it close.. I break strategically, make sound decisions based on my experience, and take a meal period of one hour whenever it works for me. I manage to stay off the radar. I do not look at any computer screens at work other than the DIAD, and I don't get to my package car until the PCM is over.

porkwagon

To give you an idea of the trip I do, it's not the hardest or easiest. I average 200 stops a day, half resi, half com. About 340 pieces delivered on average and only 8 pick ups. 100 pieces picked up on a heavy day. And usually about 50 miles. Many of the resis are apartments that have 3 floors. Top floor wins every day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get embarrasssed every day at the pcm because some city driver is like 22 miles over every day. One of the guys that covers my route said there is no way that can be done in 50 miles. I just smile, take my beating and go do it again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I tried it ... it still works.

fleming-right-hand-rule.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We had a driver who refused to make those turns because it causes him to go across busy roads several times a day. He pleaded his case and said it was unsafe to do to so. Our on car agreed and they now have it set up so that he makes less left turns and crosses busy streets less. Who knows, maybe you can do the same by explaining your side.
Management can't even fix a simple problem, such as the first two ORION stops being out of order, forcing a dangerous left-hand turn instead of a right-hand turn, two businesses next to each other, on the first stops of the day . "Who knows" is right.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Management can't even fix a simple problem, such as the first two ORION stops being out of order, forcing a dangerous left-hand turn instead of a right-hand turn, two businesses next to each other, on the first stops of the day . "Who knows" is right.
Sounds like your management team needs to be taught the software a little better. Yikes.

porkwagon

Sure they can. I had that issue, I showed them the problem, and then it was fixed. To be more clear, I showed the problem to the division manager, and he made sure it got fixed.

Grey

I follow Orion STOP FOR STOP. The only time I deviate is if NDA service is in jeopardy, or to make sure a business SAVER isn't late. I then immediately get right back on trace. My bank account and 401K love Orion. I'm not paid to make decisions. It's there world. I'm just living in it.

You must have a great pre-loader(s) to follow it 100%.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I get embarrasssed every day at the pcm because some city driver is like 22 miles over every day. One of the guys that covers my route said there is no way that can be done in 50 miles. I just smile, take my beating and go do it again.

22 miles over is nearly 50% of your projected, which does sound awfully high.