Right to Work Laws

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can we make changes to the law that gives the hourly the right not to join, but yet they won't steal out membership privileges?
Good luck with that. The whole reason for "right to work" is to weaken the unions, the folks who write this legislation don't really care about workers rights their goal is to create an incentive for workers to opt out of joining the union by allowing them access to union benefits without paying union dues. Legislation that would deny union negotiated pay and benefits to those who don't join the union would have the exact opposite effect because it would provide a clear incentive for workers to join the union and the "RTW" crowd has no interest in that.

barnyard

KTM rider
The part that costs the union money is the managing of benefits. All employees that are covered by the bargaining agreement, have their benefits managed by the union. Businesses would not push for RTW if they had to manage the benefits of employees that did not join the union.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The company pays all healthcare and pension contributions so your argument there is moot.

This may surprise many but I agree that all full timers and career part times working in a union job should pay union dues. I disagree that part timers who have no intention of making this their career (college students) should be forced to pay union dues.

It is wrong to enjoy the benefits of union membership without paying your fair share for those benefits.
And if the law changed that said that RTW workers are not entitled to the contract employees wages and benefits, do you think for 1 second that UPS would give these wages and benefits to RTW workers out of the generosity of their hearts.

Hell no they wouldn't.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It has been my experience that the college students are among the better PTers.

Back when I started.... sure.

In my experience we have are FAIR SHARE that need three alarm clocks to wake up for work amongst other things.

Yep.

Give me a guy, that lives in the bottoms. Needs money and Health Insurance.

They show up every day.... and become strong Union advocates.

-Bug-

10 point

Tuition reimbursement is in the Union contract?
HR in larger hubs must use that angle for incentive?

I was switching out loads in Louisville when a pt timer said he gets a large bonus each quarter if he doesn't miss work and his tuition is paid for.

That's not true in our small building.
Must be a sales point in larger facilities where $11/hr doesn't mean much considering the employment opportunities are greater in that area?

NXA

College students work here for beer money and will be leaving once they graduate. Why gouge them?
It's not gouging (at least, no more so than it is generally) to expect an adult worker to participate fully in the adult world. In this little corner, union membership is part of work, participation is a privilege and also a duty. No matter what a young person's plans, potential, or privilege, if they're gonna play here, they should pay here. And they should come to meetings, and be active, even activists. We need it!

Anthonysg0113

It's not gouging (at least, no more so than it is generally) to expect an adult worker to participate fully in the adult world. In this little corner, union membership is part of work, participation is a privilege and also a duty. No matter what a young person's plans, potential, or privilege, if they're gonna play here, they should pay here. And they should come to meetings, and be active, even activists. We need it!
Excactly, the only reason we have benefits is because of the union. That's the draw for pt work. No one would stay on pt for $10 an hour without having, or being able to get insurance. We already have enough that aren't staying to get 3.5 hrs, not going to meetings, and not standing up for the contract that are paying dues!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
HR in larger hubs must use that angle for incentive?

I was switching out loads in Louisville when a pt timer said he gets a large bonus each quarter if he doesn't miss work and his tuition is paid for.
And my point is that this "extra" pay is outside of and beyond what the Union negotiated.

Since this thread is about what the Union provides and how non-union employees should not get Union benefits.

And my point is that this "extra" pay is outside of and beyond what the Union negotiated.

Since this thread is about what the Union provides and how non-union employees should not get Union benefits.
The wages and benefits negotiationed in our contract are all minimums. The company can always increase them or go higher.