Road Runners.

rocket man

This is for all you runners out there. Not the runners and gunners, mind you. I'm talking about people who run/jog competetively. I've been running races, 5k to 13.1miles, for about 3 years now. I also cycle, but that's another story.

Any of you get pre-race jitters? I mean, where you wake up way early, the day of the race, and start pacing through your mind about how you'll run and how you think you will, or would like to do? I find that everyday before the race, I start playing out scenarios in my head. Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way.

I know, I know, this is the Brown Cafe, and not a sports forum. I'm just asking, because I know that there are a bunch of running UPS'ers out there, and I'd like some of your input, training tips would also help. Thanks.:peaceful:

BTW, I ran a 5k today. Finished 15th overall at 20:09. That's not shabby by some standards, but by my own, I sucked. I wanted to run under 19:30.:dissapointed:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
my goodness.... how long does he expect for it to take to finish?
Well, the first order of business is to finish, but I'm sure he wants to break 48 hours to get the buckle. He's certainly capable of doing that as long as he doesn't blow up.
It looks like he went out pretty hard, he went through the first checkpoint ahead of some fast peeps, but now he's slacking the pace. Hopefully by design and not cuz he's in trouble.
His race page is here (it's not too late to contribute to his charity!) and has a link to his race webcast.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey Steve, are you running the Disney Marathon in January?

No, but you could talk me into running along side of you. THAT I WOULD DEFINITELY DO, my BROTHA!
BTW, Disney is a touristy marathon and not the best for running time. If you just want to run to finish, Disney is the place. They have great bling and all the Disney feel. How's your training coming along?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't think i'm really interested in running Disney. First of al I don't have vacation in January :)

My training is going pretty well. i missed one day last week but it was my short run so I didn't worry about it too much. My half-marathon is September 12. If I do well in that then I may run the full marathon in November. There is also another half marathon about 3 weeks after the one I am doing and i may do that one as well. Im not looking to set any records. I've never done anything of this distance so I am mainy looking to finish. Before my 5 mile run this past weekend, the furthest I had run was my 4 mile training run the week before. I actually feel like I could do the 13.1 now since it is a flat course. The only thing i struggle with is the hills. Afterall, I have 230 lbs. to propel up those hills.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't think i'm really interested in running Disney. First of al I don't have vacation in January :)

My training is going pretty well. i missed one day last week but it was my short run so I didn't worry about it too much. My half-marathon is September 12. If I do well in that then I may run the full marathon in November. There is also another half marathon about 3 weeks after the one I am doing and i may do that one as well. Im not looking to set any records. I've never done anything of this distance so I am mainy looking to finish. Before my 5 mile run this past weekend, the furthest I had run was my 4 mile training run the week before. I actually feel like I could do the 13.1 now since it is a flat course. The only thing i struggle with is the hills. Afterall, I have 230 lbs. to propel up those hills.
I plan on running a marathon on Dec 19th in Jacksonville. It's a flat fast course that is 80% shaded. Think about this one. It's also very small, 2500 people, I believe.

tourists24

Well, the first order of business is to finish, but I'm sure he wants to break 48 hours to get the buckle. He's certainly capable of doing that as long as he doesn't blow up.
It looks like he went out pretty hard, he went through the first checkpoint ahead of some fast peeps, but now he's slacking the pace. Hopefully by design and not cuz he's in trouble.
His race page is here (it's not too late to contribute to his charity!) and has a link to his race webcast.
I see your buddy had a really good finish..... geez that's a good finish time

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I see your buddy had a really good finish..... geez that's a good finish time
Yeah, he's a pretty talented runner. I've paced him at a couple long races and he asked me to come out for this one but I just couldn't fit it into my schedule. 28 hours at Badwater is pretty frickin amazing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Now that I am losing weight, I have decided to set a goal for myself involving running.

Every September in my home town of Coos Bay Oregon, they host the annual Steve Prefontaine Memorial Run. It is a 10K, which is just shy of 7 miles. As a kid I used to volunteer at the race, handing out water bottles etc. I was never a very good runner, when I was on the track teams in junior high I did field events like the shot put and the discus.

My goal is going to be to run in that event. It wont happen this year, but if I keep losing weight and start jogging, I think I could do it in 2011. I am quite capable of walking 7 miles...during hunting season I do it all the time, and that is with a backpack and a rifle. But right now I am not able to run any distance at all due to my weight. I plan on changing that.

I went to the same high school that Pre did. I walked by his house every day on my way to school, and his sister babysat for me and my little sister when we were toddlers. My dad was a track coach at the local junior college and competed at the University of Oregon a few years before Pre did, so as a child growing up I saw Pre run many times at historic Hayward Field. I saw him run in the last race he ever ran, a few hours before his death. He was truly an amazing athlete.

So my goal is to get to where I am capable of running a 10K without collapsing or puking. I dont care how competitive my time might be, I just want to be able to finish and say I did it. It would be quite an accomplishment for me to go from being 300 lbs with a stress fracture, to running in a 10K a year and a half later.

over9five

Staff member
I am a firm believer that we are born with a predetermined number of heart beats for our life. You should never do anything (like running) that would cause you to use up extra heart beats.

Don't do it, Sober!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now that I am losing weight, I have decided to set a goal for myself involving running.

Every September in my home town of Coos Bay Oregon, they host the annual Steve Prefontaine Memorial Run. It is a 10K, which is just shy of 7 miles. As a kid I used to volunteer at the race, handing out water bottles etc. I was never a very good runner, when I was on the track teams in junior high I did field events like the shot put and the discus.

My goal is going to be to run in that event. It wont happen this year, but if I keep losing weight and start jogging, I think I could do it in 2011. I am quite capable of walking 7 miles...during hunting season I do it all the time, and that is with a backpack and a rifle. But right now I am not able to run any distance at all due to my weight. I plan on changing that.

I went to the same high school that Pre did. I walked by his house every day on my way to school, and his sister babysat for me and my little sister when we were toddlers. My dad was a track coach at the local junior college and competed at the University of Oregon a few years before Pre did, so as a child growing up I saw Pre run many times at historic Hayward Field. I saw him run in the last race he ever ran, a few hours before his death. He was truly an amazing athlete.

So my goal is to get to where I am capable of running a 10K without collapsing or puking. I dont care how competitive my time might be, I just want to be able to finish and say I did it. It would be quite an accomplishment for me to go from being 300 lbs with a stress fracture, to running in a 10K a year and a half later.
Great story, sober, and an even greater goal. If you keep going the way you are, I totally believe that you will achieve this goal. Take it easy and let your legs get into running. Don't force yourself, it'll come to you. Don't worry about puking, that's normal, LOL, it's the collapsing that I would be concerned about. What does your Wife think about your new commitment?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Very cool that you were babysat by Pre's little sister, that makes it almost a mandate that you have to run. Without Limits is an excellent film btw, easily the best one ever made about Prefontaine. Always gets me motivated to go get a few extra miles in.

I am a firm believer that we are born with a predetermined number of heart beats for our life. You should never do anything (like running) that would cause you to use up extra heart beats.

Don't do it, Sober!!!
Getting in good cardiovascular shape will lower your resting and overall heart rate, so you still come out ahead :wink2:.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Very cool that you were babysat by Pre's little sister, that makes it almost a mandate that you have to run. Without Limits is an excellent film btw, easily the best one ever made about Prefontaine. Always gets me motivated to go get a few extra miles in.

Getting in good cardiovascular shape will lower your resting and overall heart rate, so you still come out ahead :wink2:.
I think being babysat by Pre's sister is cool, as well. Loved that movie, and only happened upon it while watching HBO, one day. Before this, I had never even heard of Prefontaine, even though I had been running for quite some time.

9/5 and DS have the same belief's about saving heartbeats (getting no exercise).:wink2:

tourists24

Sober, one reason I love running so much is how individual it is... I ran my first 50k this year and believe me I am no speed demon (time was 6hr 24min). I am definitely not built like a runner (5'4" 165lbs) and most of my younger years was spent wrestling. But if you can forget about all the guys ahead of you, then you can set your own goals. It is a lot of fun and you meet a lot of good people along the way. My next major goal is to complete a 50 mile course, but that is still a good six to ten months off...... Stay the course and run your race. Good luck

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Look at Mills! Look at Mills! Only American ever to win a gold medal in the Olympic 10k. I love this clip.

[video=youtube;uOj0zjPzg-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj0zjPzg-c[/video]